Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do leather pants feel in the summer? I just ask because personally, I can tolerate heat in my lower body better than my upper body (I can wear jeans in the summer, but can't walk around in a long sleeve). Anyhow, I was wondering if one manages to stay cool up top, say via perforated leather, mesh, etc, will solid leather pants be tolerable still?

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Sure, depends what you consider tolerable really. Some people start whining if they break a sweat, because they won't look cool when they pull up somewhere. I'm way farther south than you and I can wear leathers without suffering a heat stroke (which is where I draw the line on tolerable, though I do sweat).

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
You'll sweat. I have a high tolerance threshold for sweat. A couple of riders and non-riders who see me in leather always have to ask THE question, "Aren't you hot in those?" To which I witfully reply, "Sure, but it doesn't hurt as much as road rash."

Anyway, it's pretty easy to deal with once you're moving. However when its bumper to bumper traffic... that's another story. YOu should do fine if you have a high tolderance for heat.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually have a pretty low tolerance for heat, but I'm forcing myself to deal with it because I have an even lower tolerance for road rash and other injuries. I have a perforated leather jacket that does a decent job of letting some air in while moving. I just hope that is enough to offset the pants I want to get, which are solid leather. Anyhow, for now, I just plan on riding around the neighborhood. That means very little traffic, but I won't be going that fast either (still a newbie).

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
if you dont like heat you might want to go for a quality textile pant like motoport or aerostich. textile is suited for a wide range of conditions whereas leather can be downright miserable in the heat.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I thought about getting a mesh/textile pant for the summer. However, since I can't keep spending too much more on gear this year, and since leather is what I'd like to use for most of the year, I was just wondering if I would be able to put up with it during the summer...at least, for the rest of this summer.

BTW, are you supposed to wear anything under track leather pants? I hope they are lined with something comfortable. I don't imagine direct leather contact on sweaty sticky skin being comfortable. Also, do they feel really tight? Batwings are not something I'd enjoy while riding (for those of you who don't know what batwings are, that's when your balls stick to the inside of your thighs).

·
Registered
46 Posts
Highway travel demands all the leather available, but if this is neighborhood travel, go w/ the textiles. If u get the leather tight enough, the wind will be cooling at speeds. But remember, they will be HOT after u reach your destination and removing leather tights in a single-seater stall is not for the weak willed.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
I wear UnderArmour under my leathers. They should be as snug as possible without being uncomfortable ideally. Many suits have some sort of stretchy non-leather material in areas like the crotch and the back of the knees to make them more comfortable.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
shamster said:
I actually have a pretty low tolerance for heat, but I'm forcing myself to deal with it because I have an even lower tolerance for road rash and other injuries.
Well said. You said you were a rookie?

I thought about getting a mesh/textile pant for the summer. However, since I can't keep spending too much more on gear this year, and since leather is what I'd like to use for most of the year, I was just wondering if I would be able to put up with it during the summer...at least, for the rest of this summer.
You sound like you can handle it. A majority of reported motorcycle injuries are from the waist down (at least I heard that from somewhere) they're a great investment. Best $200 you'll ever spend, IMO.

BTW, are you supposed to wear anything under track leather pants? I hope they are lined with something comfortable. I don't imagine direct leather contact on sweaty sticky skin being comfortable.
Try to use performance underwear, like that Under Armour stuff. I heard it works, just can't get a size to fit me at the local sporting goods store. From my experience, there's a mesh like lining in the pants so no, there's really limited contact between skin and leather.

Also, do they feel really tight? Batwings are not something I'd enjoy while riding (for those of you who don't know what batwings are, that's when your balls stick to the inside of your thighs).
I'm not just saying this, but they are a little tight in the crotch. I have a pair of A* Twin pants and that's my only gripe. Seriously limited room so you have to get a little creative on wear you put everything, if you catch my drift. Best way to get your junk off your leg is to stand up on your pegs and bounce a few times on the suspension. Everything usually dislodges itself. Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts