Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
please please...tell me you went through BOTH sides on that weld....not just the surface but a total penetration all the way through.....otherwise its just gonna crack in the same spot agian.....take it from a guy who had to learn the hard way.....go all the way through or dont go at all....like go in the crack till it gets almost 3/4 of the way through and then backfill it with extra plastic from another broken fairing you arent gonna use...then do the same on the other side....it looks pretty good man just make sure it will stay that way and not re crack on the same lines... ;) just tryin to save you the trouble ask Blue fron BlueKustoms, me and him learned together using my bike as the practice peice :)

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BuRn__ said:
plastic welding eh? isit just like regular welding, but with plastic? :confused:
No not really, cause I'm a welder at work, and this is completely different, your not trying to make it look like a row of nickels, your trying to refuse the orginal plastic back together. Doesn't work the same and feeding weld wire into the crevis to to parts and the metal bonds. It's alittle bit more difficult. Plastic is not as strong as metal, so it doesn't hold up as well if you dont get the weld right.

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
yea and the TYPE of plastic you use matters greatly.....if you use a diffrent type of plastic on your fairings it wont bond correctly and itll crack.....its a good thing to learn if you wanna stunt...or crash alot lol :)

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
I've always just fiberglassed the back side and filled the crack with epoxy... works for me and seems like it would be a lot stronger then plastc weilding although Ive never tried plastic weilding it looks kinda fun

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
here's something i picked up from a motorcyclist/die maker...don't know how well it works and i've never tried it myself, but it sounds like a good plan.

if you have round plastic stock you can chuck it into a dremel (or similar) the friction from the rotating piece of plastic on another piece of plastic causes the plastic to melt and 'weld' together. is this along the lines of what you are doing?

remember, i've never tried this, and i dunno how effective it would be for fixing cracked plastics, but i've always figured if i needed to fix cracked fairings that'd be how i did it.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I would of taken it to someone that knows what they're doing... just me..

·
Registered
576 Posts
one thing i've done ( to add to the melting of plastic), is to use a soldering gun on the crack and melt it together. i don't think it'll be as strong as the plastic weld, but it could wok well if used in conjunction with the plastic weld.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts