Sport Bikes banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've started practicing my stand ups on my 2004 GSXR 600. Other than the Yoshi bolt on, it's bone stock. I've managed to get a couple of 3 footers but the rest are inch high or nothing at all. I know my problem is just timing and lack of practice, but any tips would be much appreciated.

Here's my technique:

1. Rolling about 35-40mph in second gear. My RPMs are at about 6k.
2. As I reach 40 mph I TRY to bounce down on the front while whacking full throttle.
3. If/when the front end comes up I'm pulling back a little bit on the bars.

The whole time I've got my rear brake covered incase of a "Whoa nelly!".

So... any suggestions for a 600 rider? Thanx

·
Registered
765 Posts
stop using the throttle to bounce it. If you ever catch it just right, and arent expecting it, you will find yourself on your ass, FAST.

Learn to clutch it up. Run it up to 6k in 2nd, dip the clutch (pull it slightly and gas it some, then drop the clutch again quickly) . Keep increasing the throttle you give it each time, until you get the height you desire. Clutching it is a helluva a lot easier on fork seals too.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. My only question is, even though I'm doing stand ups you say I should clutch it? I agree with what you say about not expecting a sudden surge and wind up on my ass. One of the three footers had me smackin my helmet on my wind screen! Doh!

·
www.wmriders.com
158 Posts
anyone that is serious about wheelies uses clutch. love it ...learn it. On my buddy's gixx 600 I use clucth on 1st and 2nd gear. Good luck and wear your gear :cool:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Compress the front and you'll get. Thats how all of my friends leanred, and still do it. Just would push down on the front making it compressed, then kinda bounce it up with some throttle. You'll eventually figure it out and get into a comfort zone.

·
Registered
214 Posts
bvrider1 said:
anyone that is serious about wheelies uses clutch. love it ...learn it. On my buddy's gixx 600 I use clucth on 1st and 2nd gear. Good luck and wear your gear :cool:
You don't need to clutch in 1st or 2nd to get it up. Just a whack of the throttle should easily get you up.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Ueafa said:
You don't need to clutch in 1st or 2nd to get it up. Just a whack of the throttle should easily get you up.
I disagree!
He said his bike was stock!
I assume you are standing on the front pegs. You did say your covering the rear break.
Everybody has there owen style!
With stock gearing a 1st gear wheelie is hard with out the clutch.
On my 6er in first I'll go about 15 to 20 mph and around 8 or 10 on the tack, you can use more arm and shift your weight back while standing, but it still comes up quicker. Be ready!!!
2ed about 25 to 35 mph and 8 to 10
rear pegs takes a whole lot LESS!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!They can easily fold up and leave you on the ground.
Get a b***** rear sprocket!!! Go up 2 or 3 teeth, it wont hurt the top speed to bad. It will make wheelies a lot easier.
You can go down on the front 1 tooth, but it is very hard on the chain!

·
Registered
214 Posts
jeeps84 said:
I disagree!
He said his bike was stock!
I assume you are standing on the front pegs. You did say your covering the rear break.
Everybody has there owen style!
With stock gearing a 1st gear wheelie is hard with out the clutch.
On my 6er in first I'll go about 15 to 20 mph and around 8 or 10 on the tack, you can use more arm and shift your weight back while standing, but it still comes up quicker. Be ready!!!
2ed about 25 to 35 mph and 8 to 10
rear pegs takes a whole lot LESS!!! DON'T DO IT!!!!!!They can easily fold up and leave you on the ground.
Get a b***** rear sprocket!!! Go up 2 or 3 teeth, it wont hurt the top speed to bad. It will make wheelies a lot easier.
You can go down on the front 1 tooth, but it is very hard on the chain!
Yeah, I forgot about it being COMPLETELY stock. Was thinking it was geared a bit.

·
WTF, OVER ?
1,429 Posts
hummm....so a stock 600 cant power up in 1st???....
a stock 600 is unpredictable bouncing up in 2nd???...
humm.....
humm???....
damn, what i was i doing wrong on my lil F4i....???...hummm...my shit worked and the stock gsxr600 has more HP than my '01 f4i....
--we'll try again another weekend there bobby...I know you can do it!!!

·
Banned
598 Posts
*Shakes Head* poor poor booby Do i need to get evan to show you ?

Its funny most every bike will whoa nelly in first if your not careful and You yanks are funny ! Ive seen countless STOCK 600's rise to the occasion without effort I guess its gotta be the rider ! No offense bobby i was refering to the yanks ! :leghump

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
i cant bounce my bike.. it wont come up.. i had a -1 on the front sproket,, do i need a b***** teeth?

·
Sub-Zero
922 Posts
i can power wheelie it in first gear though.. that will work couple of times... but 2nd gear is kinda hard to get my bike up..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts