Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question. Nothing big. I got my bike but remember, I haven't had much of a chance to ride it. I rode it twice at night time around the block a couple times and in a parking lot... and once in the daytime to take it to the dealer. Every single time I got to ride, i never got to take a "running" corner. What I mean by that is...like let's say im going down a road at 45mph and I'm approaching a traffic light. A "running" corner would be.. getting a green protected turn so I can go thru the corner almost like at the track. I always hit a red light.. and then have to start over in 1st gear so basically, I never get to corner any turns. I have in the parking lot but the fastest I've taken a corner would probably be in 2nd gear at 15 or 20mph.

I just had a question. How can you determine the lean angle on which type of turns? For example: In a parking lot, if you wanted a very tight turn (like the U-turn in the MSF), you should shift your weight to the OPPOSITE direction of the turn and counter balance your weight, even standing on the peg. I get that.

But let's say you take a fast normal turn at 35 mph? Just a wide left-hand protected turn. Do you lean with the bike and make it a perfect line? Like your body is "inline" with your bike? Or do you lean your body over more than the bike... so that your knees drag? I saw a lot of pictures, avatars, etc. where people are at the track and almost hanging off the bike with their knees hitting the ground...NOT leaning with the bike. I assume if you did that, the bike would lowside.

I ask cause I read some thread (maybe a different forum) where a guy took a regular turn at 25mph or so... and he said the footpeg hit the floor and he lowside. So obviously, he leaned the bike over wrong. I'll probably learn all these, but Id rather know than to try and crash or lowside. thanks

·
Registered
198 Posts
hmmm

First don't ride the city streets like its a racetrack, aaaaannnd goo! :popcorn

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
These kind of things come with expierance and can't really be typed out so that you can get a good visual.The main thing to remember is if you go into a corner to hot/fast and it looks like you're going to run wide(into the other lane),push down on the bar and give it some more gas.

About those intersections,take it easy through there no matter how long you've been on a bike.They are slick and will put you down in a heartbeat.

About the guy that drug his peg at 25 in a normal turn,he pushed it down to hard.

And yes,you lean with the bike,not aginst it.Forget about hanging off for now.Learn your bike and learn your limits for now,the rest will come in time.

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
alaska cajun said:
These kind of things come with expierance and can't really be typed out so that you can get a good visual.The main thing to remember is if you go into a corner to hot/fast and it looks like you're going to run wide(into the other lane),push down on the bar and give it some more gas.

About those intersections,take it easy through there no matter how long you've been on a bike.They are slick and will put you down in a heartbeat.

About the guy that drug his peg at 25 in a normal turn,he pushed it down to hard.

And yes,you lean with the bike,not aginst it.Forget about hanging off for now.Learn your bike and learn your limits for now,the rest will come in time.
+1

ride it and the skills will come

use your counter steerin techniques (push left to go left) and the bike should drop to were it needs to be, dont fight it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Corners in the city can vary so much, so every corner can be different. I lean with the bike into normal corners and sometimes hang off the seat a little on the inside and put my knee down a little for an aggressive coner. I don't come close to scraping pegs. Just take it slow and work on leaning with the bike and maybe hanging off a little by sliding your butt to the inside and putting your knee out a little. Keep trying, the cornering stuff takes practice.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh okay gotcha. I guess more practice = better skills! DUH. :D Man, I wish i can repair my bike already. Yikes.. already got my front rotors in ..and friday the brake pads are coming. Sprockets are next week and I already got my chain. Can't wait!

Okay so for now, i can ride normally but explain something to me. You know how, for tight turns (the u-turn i mentioned) you gotta counter-WEIGHT yourself at low speeds so the bike doesn't fall down. What is the advantage to hanging off the bike and almost letting your knee drag? Let's say you're going left, the bike is leaning left, but your body is at MORE leaning angle and almost hanging off the bike with the knees almost touching. Is that used for tighter turns? Or at low speeds? How come you can't take a corner by leaning WITH the bike and just giving it some steady gas?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Hanging off= bike in a more upright postion,less chance of a lowside and gives you more corner speed.Best to be used on the track as it's not really need on the street.You just can't take a corner balls to the wall on 8' of road.

·
voted for an American
4,580 Posts
I recommend you buy either the twist books or pridmore's book. I personally like pridmore's book because it explains very well about body positioning and it also has some cool drills you can do with the bike sitting on the stand. The counter-weight that MSF taught you only applies to very slow speeds (less than 10 mph). The whole thing about hanging off is to lower the center of gravity of the bike, by lowering the center of gravity, the bike has more traction and you don't have to lean as low to take a corner. For now forget about hanging off, practice your fundamentals, look trough the turn, while smoothly rolling on the throttle. Try and move your upper body around, that's the first stage of hanging off, when going through the turn, try and line up your chin with the clip-on. One you're comfortable doing that experiment sliding the butt off the seat a little, always that head aiming towards the clip on and looking through the turn and your hands must be relaxed. It takes some time but for now just concentrate on looking through the turn and relaxing your grip.

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
alaska cajun said:
You just can't take a corner balls to the wall on 8' of road.
you haven't been to Arroyo Seco aceway in NM....you drag knee thru the dirt in a few corners....

·
Registered
377 Posts
Go buy and read TWIST OF THE WRIST by Kieth Code, he will answer all your questions and then some.

·
Registered
31 Posts
For street riding, there's really no case where you need to lean off the bike. If you do, you're riding way too fast for the street. As was already mentioned, be careful in intersections, they're usually slick with oil/crap from cars idling there. Read the Twist of the Wrist books and go to a track day to get an understanding of when/why you lean and learn how to in a safe (well, safer anyway) environment and with someone instructing you.

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
^^+1 and in addition to that Sportriding Techniques by Neil Ienatsch. All those books will give you some much needed insight as to how your bike works the way it does as well as proper placement for your body. I totally agree with what everyone else has said...take dragging your knee and place it in the furthest section of your mind. That is not something you need to be worrying about at this stage of your experience.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
The point to leaning your body off the bike is to keep more tire on the ground thus being able to take tight turns faster. If you were to just drop the bike down into a curve w/o leaning off with your body, you would have more lean angle on the bike itself to take the same turn at the same speed and run the risk of loosing traction with less of the tire making contact.

But on the street you should never really need to lean your body off the bike to drag a knee cause there's no need to ride that aggressively on the street.

So you could take two approaches. The first would be to just lean into a curve keeping you body inline with the bike and the second would be to lean your body off the bike (kissing the mirror) to get less lean angle on the bike. Doesn't matter which you do on the street, but keep in mind that leaning your body off the bike takes more work (yes I'm lazy sometimes).

Also note that exiting a turn can be easier on the street when not leaning off the bike cause you don't have to shift your weight as much and as fast. The steering geometry on a SS bike makes the bike WANT to turn and I've found that I have to fight the bike sometimes to NOT turn or to stand it back up exiting a turn. You can with experience learn to adjust for this tho, and use steering inputs and weight transfer to exit easy.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
david hough, proficient motorcycling, is much more applicable read for street riders.......

·
It's good to B-King
3,290 Posts
Practice!

If you don't have to countersteer the bike to turn it (like in the MSF figure 8 practice), then you will have to counterweight it and lean away from it to keep it from falling over. However, once you get up to the speed where you start having to counter-steer the bike to turn it, you can begin leaning with it.

·
what's up bitches
1,382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ah gotcha! I get it now. LOL i get the term "knee dragging" and why it's done. Guess it's not required.. but man, after watching nicky hayden on the track, especially the clips on the Tonight Show w/ Jay Leno I wanted to start track. :D

Thanks i'll look into those books.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts