Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay if I lean any more, I'm going to rub off my pegs. But I'm having a tough time geting the last 1/2 in to 3/4 in off the tire. Is it me?

Also here's a controversial argument. I was able to lean hard enough to scrape the pegs at around 55-70 mph. My friends say no way and that I have to go much faster in order to do that. When I do lean, I do get my body off the seat and really lean off to the side. Seems like I really have to shift a lot of my weight in order to lean like a sportbike. But I am able to scrape pegs at that "slow" speed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
Sitting upright, you'll lean your body more than the bike. Sportbikes are lower, aren't as top heavy, and no center stand.

On the stock Dunlops, I eventually got the strips off. It took a while and hardly ever scraping the pegs. (maybe me toes!) They're more of a sport touring tire.

Pilot powers. It's been a pain, I have about 1/2" and holding. If heard this is common unless you track it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,811 Posts
Stop worrying about your chicken strips. Don't even look at them.

But, to be helpful...you need more ride height. Set your sag if you haven't already. Then come rearsets or a taller shock.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,206 Posts
I agree, just ride, the point of riding isn't to get rid of chicken strips just enjoy... god forbid the quest against chicken strips end in tragedy that would be pretty senseless.
 

·
Sigh.......
Joined
·
291 Posts
Ahh....But jesus was Gods only begoten son who deamed us to have motorcycles....... Then came the cry for achivement. And Jesus declared he was hungry... and the chicken-strip was born. In his desire to end the hunger he rode hard, very hard and the hunger for the strip was gone..... :banana
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
taurus574 said:
I was able to lean hard enough to scrape the pegs at around 55-70 mph. My friends say no way and that I have to go much faster in order to do that.
I've seen peg scraping done at less than 35. The guy made it look easy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
155 Posts
I don't know if it's just me, the road, or the tires but when I start getting into chicken strip territory, the back end starts feeling a little loose. Like I said, maybe it's the roads but I don't trust the Bridgestones at the limit.

If I was riding track, I'd have more balls but on backroads lined with trees and oncoming cars, I care more about my life than my stripage. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
Let me share my leaning past experiences..

With the stock Dunlop, I wasn't able to scrap anything... well... maybe the entire right side...(damn old woman drivers...)

Recently I bought a Metzeler Roadtec Z6 and let me say that the tire has a will of it's own... it loves curves.. result... The other day... on a sharp 180 degrees curve... I remembered what a friend told me... the SLLR technique.
Let me translate that.. Slow - Look - Lean - Roll

First Step - Slow down BEFORE the curve
Second - Look to the curve's exit.. or to the farther spot you can look to
Third - Lean... and now comes the tricky part.. anyone heard of countersteering? Right... so... if you want to lean right... turn your front wheel.. left... and vice versa.. be careful... if you don't have enough speed, or turn too much... you will loose control and fall!
When curving you can do it in two ways... Motocross Style(Sitting upright and leaning the bike) and MotoGP style... that gives you more speed(Leaning the body.. therefore the bike tires have more contact with the ground. Try finding the one that suits you
Fourth - Exiting the curve - As soon as you can see the exit, and if you have enough room... roll(in a smooth motion) and go for it!

The result was... right side of the tire.. is clean... and the chicken strip... got scrapped...

Now I have to scrap the left side one... :(

LOL!

Hope this helps!
 

·
Livin' on the Edge!
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
taurus574 said:
okay if I lean any more, I'm going to rub off my pegs. But I'm having a tough time geting the last 1/2 in to 3/4 in off the tire. Is it me?

Also here's a controversial argument. I was able to lean hard enough to scrape the pegs at around 55-70 mph. My friends say no way and that I have to go much faster in order to do that. When I do lean, I do get my body off the seat and really lean off to the side. Seems like I really have to shift a lot of my weight in order to lean like a sportbike. But I am able to scrape pegs at that "slow" speed.
Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about. I practice in parking lots sometimes and scrape pegs at under 20 mph. As far as the strips, don't worry about them. The bridgestone tire profile isn't suited well for scrubbing all the way to the edge. They are shaped like a ball and I didn't really trust mine either because the contact patch is pretty small compared to the profile of the pilot powers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
803 Posts
Sharkbait66 said:
Ahh....But jesus was Gods only begoten son who deamed us to have motorcycles....... Then came the cry for achivement. And Jesus declared he was hungry... and the chicken-strip was born. In his desire to end the hunger he rode hard, very hard and the hunger for the strip was gone..... :banana
Awesome Sharkbait :biggrinag


I'm had no trouble at all getting rid of mine. I'm still running the factory Bridgestone, I can do it at low speed or high speed, and I haven't touch the peg yet. :banana But I do have a slightly taller rear shock (less then a 1/4 inch) and I think thats why I haven't touched the pegs. Just about everyday on the same corner I use every bit of the edge of the right side of the tire. The left side however still has an 1/8th or so stripe that I haven't been able to shake.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FAZR6 said:
Your friend doesn't know what he is talking about.
He apparently does not. He was asking me, "Were you dragging your knee?" I was like, "You're an idiot... I'm going to drag my knee with jeans on on a public highway. Your an ass for even asking a dumb question like that." :hshot

He's the typical squid that goes out and buys the fastest bike bike (An 04 R1") and claims to be experienced. He had an R6 and her wrecked it 3 years ago, was laid up in a hospital/home for a year... then decides to get an R1 cause he feels the need to prove something. You wanna talk chicken strips... he's got like 3 inches on each side. But he brags about going 180+ on the highways with his cop buddies (he's a cops himself too). Yeah, any idiot can twist the throttle as far as it can go.. but because he has an R1 he thinks he's "experienced" You wanna know his total riding time on a bike... he had the R6 for about 5 months before wrecking it... and he bought the R1 last year but only started riding it a month and a half ago..... total time over 4 years... 6 1/2 months of real world riding. :lao :rolleyes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
419 Posts
Sharkbait66 said:
Ahh....But jesus was Gods only begoten son who deamed us to have motorcycles....... Then came the cry for achivement. And Jesus declared he was hungry... and the chicken-strip was born. In his desire to end the hunger he rode hard, very hard and the hunger for the strip was gone..... :banana
Dude what the hell are you smoking!? Give me some of that shit! :beer

Megatron said:
With the stock Dunlop, I wasn't able to scrap anything... well... maybe the entire right side...(damn old woman drivers...)
I think you have a typo: (damn ALL woman drivers...) :lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
nig said:
The pegs will scrape easier at higher speeds, he's not totally stupid.
Oh I know that... but my friend didn't believe that I was scraping pegs at around 60ish mph... HE thinks that only people that are going supersonic speeds can scrape pegs and not going the speed limit.
 

·
Livin' on the Edge!
Joined
·
1,461 Posts
taurus574 said:
What if I were to lower my tire pressure a bit.. you think that would help?
Please don't do that. Just run the recomended tire pressure and quit worrying about it. If you want your strips off bad enough, just scrub them with fine sand paper. :rolleyes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
858 Posts
FAZR6 said:
Please don't do that. Just run the recomended tire pressure and quit worrying about it. If you want your strips off bad enough, just scrub them with fine sand paper. :rolleyes
+1 thats what the center stand and sand papers for :eek:nfloor :lao :bitchslap
 

·
Ride Naked
Joined
·
3,324 Posts
Try dipping them in BBQ sauce with a dash of a good habanero pepper sauce... that's how I like mine, anyway. :lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
crx81 said:
Try dipping them in BBQ sauce with a dash of a good habanero pepper sauce... that's how I like mine, anyway. :lol
Har har har... everyone here is a comedian. :banana I prefer honey mustard instead. :lao
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top