Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got '99 F4 with 21k on it that runs perfect and is in immacualte shape. For the last week or so I've noticed that about once or twice on a ride the bike would "slip" or hesitate for a moment. This would always happen at about 10k and the bike would free rev to 12k and catch and would ride normal. So I just figured maybe the clutch is on its way out no big deal. Well tonight I went out riding at 6:00 rode all night with no problems. Then at 11:30 I went into a turn leaned over in 2nd at about 8 or 9k and the bike just popped right into neutral and bounced off the limiter.......needless to say it was not fun and I nearly got rear-ended by the bike behind me. Now the bike will not rev past 7k in 2nd without popping into neutral and bouncing off the limiter but seems to run fine in first and third etc.

So in short what broke, how'd it break, and most importantly how much is it going to cost to fix this as I am a broke Junior in college.

Thanks for the help I need it.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Sounds like 2nd gear is bad and needs to be replaced and I have no idea what it would cost.I wouls buy a service manual for it and pull the tranny apart and have a look see before I took it to the stealer.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the neutral light does come on and the revs just jump like crazy......I don't know if that is a false neutral or not

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
A false neutral shouldn't happen that often unless you are not shifting properly.

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
False Neutral? Please define...

·
Registered
168 Posts
False neutral: A neutral that 'shouldnt' be there.

Such as shifting from 5th to 6th on my banshee once in a blue moon the bike will
rev like a madman, then pop into 6th as if it were just finishing the shift.

Basically it is like a shift that didnt get completed, and the tranny is sort of jammed in between gears.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
oober said:
False Neutral? Please define...
A false neutral is neutral in-between any gear other then 1 & 2.

Like getting neutral as you go form 5th to 6th. I had a bike that would do this form time to time if I was lazy with my up-shifts. I also had a bike pop out of second into neutral through a turn on the gas. Scares the hell out of you when it happens.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's not a false neutral as it does it constantly now and never did it before tonight in the 6k miles I put on it

·
Banned
2,093 Posts
thx for the education.... :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
I had to replace a shift fork to fix the same problem on my Buell. I had it reverse shifting for a couple years, and I think being lazy and leaving my foot on the shifter between shifts wore it out. It had around 35K miles on it then.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Get it checked out before it gets worse. Other damage could occur. It will cost a shinier penny than you'll want to spend, but most likely its a necessary thing to save you a big headache later.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Pretty common problem seen at the shop my son works at. Gears have holes in one side and dogs (kinda like studs) sticking out of the other side. The dogs get worn and no longer engage in the holes properly. that's when it will pop out of gear too easily. The usual cause is poor shifting, poping wheelies, or a bent shift fork. Second gear takes a lot of abuse because of neutral being in between first and second. There is more space between the gears so they slam together harder.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
fredcbr1100 said:
Pretty common problem seen at the shop my son works at. Gears have holes in one side and dogs (kinda like studs) sticking out of the other side. The dogs get worn and no longer engage in the holes properly. that's when it will pop out of gear too easily. The usual cause is poor shifting, poping wheelies, or a bent shift fork. Second gear takes a lot of abuse because of neutral being in between first and second. There is more space between the gears so they slam together harder.
I agree. I highly suspect worn dogs on your second gear. The parts aren't really expensive, but if it's anything like the r6 motor it is a project to take care of. (I'm assuming it's very similar to the r6) You'll have to pull the motor out and remove everything off of it. Once everything (top end, accessories, hoses, pumps, etc.) is removed you'll have to split the engine case open to get to the transmission gears. Replace the worn parts and reinstall making sure you have all new gaskets/seals/o-rings. Make sure you replace the seals and gaskets now, while you have it apart. It would surely suck to get everything reassembled and realize that a gasket has been pinched, or worn, or just fails and have to take it apart again. It's a great way to learn about your bike and learn about how a typical sportbike motor/transmission works. Put a positive, learning spin on it and it won't seem so bad. Just my gut feeling on what's going on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the help guys.......I don't know enough about mechanics to do it myself but am trying to find a garage mechanic to do it on the cheap.......would it hurt anything if I rode it for a while and just avoided second all together? I need to know because I'm talking to a guy who lives about 30 miles away and I would much rather ride it their then truck it.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Your taking a serious risk when you ride it. (IMO)

I know what you mean about not wanting to truck it, though.

I say go for it, stay in 6th, and stay slow JUST incase of a sudden lock up.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts