Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Put my bike away for storage 4 months ago. Added marine stabil and turned the petcock off. Got home for break today. Started up, idled, revved, did all that stuff good. Then I looked down and there was a puddle of gas. Yay. I turned the bike off, turned off the petcock, and wiped the gas up. Started it back up, and it was fine. Then I remembered the petcock was off. So I turned it on and it began leaking again. So here is what I know:

It didn't leak when I put it away 4 months ago
It's not leaking from the vacuum on the line directly off the petcock.
It only leaks in the "ON" position
It doesn't leak with the bike running in the OFF position (so I'm pretty sure it isnt a carb issue)

So its leaking from the hose to the carbs or from the petcock iteself. Rebuild the petcock?

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
look around, find the leak, whatever is leaking, is causing the leak.

My guesses in order of probability, carb float not sealing properly, fuel line leaking, other fuel line component.

a petcock letting fuel threw when it is turned "on" is not a problem. (does the bike have a vacume petcock?)

·
Registered
365 Posts
If it set with the fuel off, it's possibly a carb float got stuck down. Find exactly where the fuel is leaking from and let us know.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll pull the tank off later and try to see whats going on. The bike runs fine. Wouldn't a stuck float mean it floods out? I just don't understand why it only leaks with the petcock on. If the bike is running with the petcock off, it doesn't leak. turn the petcock on and it pisses gas from somewhere. And yes, its a vacuum petcock.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I told my wife my petcock leaks, she said, "then keep that away from my petpussy".

LOL sorry hope you get it fixed. Happy Thanksgiving!

Reactions: mangosmoothie16

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put the handle of a screwdriver on the carb and petcock, gave it a few taps with a rubber mallet, fired the bike up, no leak. Once it got warm, cracked it wide open a couple times, no leak. Guess something was a little stuck.

·
Registered
365 Posts
A float or needle was probably stuck down, when that happens the bike will run ok, but fuel runs out the carb overflow. Tapping the carbs often jars the stuck float loose.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Took it out and abused it for 20 miles. Runs great!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts