Sport Bikes banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 GSXR 750 that just started leaking fuel. I am not quite sure where it is coming from. I have lifted the tank and checked the hoses all seem to be dry. I thought maybe it was leaking from around the casket on the bottom of tank but the pattern of fuel does not match. It only seems to be leaking from the left side probably due to being on the side stand. Bike runs fine starts right up just gets really bad gas mileage. I can fill it up in the garage and leave it for a couple of days and it will almost be out of fuel. not a very good average for fuel mileage 0 highway 0 city 5 gallons per garage. Can anyone help? I need some ideas before I take it to the shop. It would hate to be without the bike for the 3 day weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Midnight Rider
415 Posts
i wouldn't recommend starting the bike with gas leaking on the engine... this is what i would do, i am no mechaninc so take it how you want. it seems that the fuel is leaking pretty quickly, so get a gallon of gas and pour it in there, sit by the bike for a bit and see if you can find out where the gas is coming from. follow the path that it should go (ie. look at the tubes coming from the tank, then follow the tubes) gas can only leak out of that path, otherwise your problem is something else. my dad has an indian and his bike would leak gas if you let it sit with the fuel in the on position. so try turning off the fuel (if your bike has that, not sure about GSXRs) and see if there is still a leak. hope this helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
patfitz9 said:
i wouldn't recommend starting the bike with gas leaking on the engine... this is what i would do, i am no mechaninc so take it how you want. it seems that the fuel is leaking pretty quickly, so get a gallon of gas and pour it in there, sit by the bike for a bit and see if you can find out where the gas is coming from. follow the path that it should go (ie. look at the tubes coming from the tank, then follow the tubes) gas can only leak out of that path, otherwise your problem is something else. my dad has an indian and his bike would leak gas if you let it sit with the fuel in the on position. so try turning off the fuel (if your bike has that, not sure about GSXRs) and see if there is still a leak. hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. I tried that last night it was a little too dark to see so I used a match as a light source to try to trace the leak :lol. Unable to find where it was leaking from specifically. Thought about throwing match and running :hshot. I am not sure about a fuel shut off valve never looked for one. I will look tonight.

·
Registered
501 Posts
yep, sounds like you fuel petcock is leaking and over filling the float bowls, so the excess gas flows out through the overflow tubes on the carbs. if this is the case, you might have gotten gas in the oil. check the oil site glass window for a rise in the oil level or give the oil a smell for gas. you might also have gas in the airbox depending on the set up of the bike.

fixing this problem will require rebuilding or replaceing the petcock.

or perhaps you left the petcock in the prime position on accident.

·
Registered
35 Posts
i use EB welder - to wed that thing up - u can't unscrew it later though. but i sold the bike later lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts