Sport Bikes banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guy and gals. I have a question I have a 2002 Fz1000 with 3500 miles on it. Noticed today that the right shock is leaking, i know i have to replace the oil seal, but should i replace slides and the guides as well? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Could be just a bit of grit at the lip of the seal. A popular little trick, is to get a business card, and slide it into the seal against the fork tube and wipe around the tube while pulling it out. Often, that will clean it up and stop the leak. At 3500 miles, the seal should still be good, unless it's been abused with sone real hard drops from wheelies.

If you do go into the forks, the lower bushings are sometimes worn. They have a gray coating that wears off and exposes underlying brass. You will see it as flecks of brass color through the coating. That's usually not a problem on forks with less than 10K miles, though. So, seals and possibly bushings, if you go into it.

If you do it yourself, there's a good write up with pics on the FZ1OA.

:)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. i got into them tonight and im stuck, the dampening tube is spinning inside the main tube, cant figure out how to break the bottom screw loose. ill sheck out FZ10A!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts