Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've been ridding for awhile now and I know my bike is not the hottest thing on the street but I also don't brag about it unless I have beat you... I have a buddy that owns a 05 GSXR 600 and claims its the fastest 600 in our little part of the world... the problem with this is that he has never gone to the track with us and has not beat any of us. Us being me and the guy I ride with who owns a lightly modded 05' 636. this year he says he is finally going to come out and play at the track I know he will beat me I know his bike is better and faster but to avoid looking like a idiot. I have never really figured out how to launch my bike all I have ever done are roll ons. When I have been at the track, I usually just take off instead of abusing my clutch by acting like I know what I'm doing. Can anybody help me learn this skill or atleast give me some advice on how to do it properly.

·
Project Hungry
295 Posts
Launch at peak torque, then use the clutch to kep the front end down as much as possible, then let loose, fairly simple, but have at it a few times, you'll get it, I can't wait to get back to the track to test it, but thats what my buddy that rides an 8 sec 60" busa tells me

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yeah I wondered about that second gear crap I have a bit more respect for my clutch and my wallet than to try that... And I will prolly be at MCIR a little bit but that track is kinda rough mostly we will be at National Trails

·
Project Hungry
295 Posts
NEVER LEAVE IN SECOND GEAR!!! waste of clutch and doesn't help!!! Anyone that does that is having major issues with the front end coming up really easily, if that is the case leave to use the clutch right!!!

·
Cheap Bastid
6,366 Posts
I find some of the weirdest launching advice in the drag racer forum.... Talk to roadracers about launching, you'll generally get more knowledgable replies.

(And IOm not saying drag racers aren't knowledgable, it's just that this part of the forum is kinda dead & there's a lot of knowledgable members that frequent the other parts of the racer's corner.)

As for me, I start off in FIRST gear... doesn't matter what bike I'm on... my EX, my SV, my Tuono, my KX.... first gear.

Get it up to around max torque, maybe a little higher.

(This part probably doesn't work w/ drag racing as you're inching to the line to stage, but works well w/ roadracing where you're on the line until everyone is set) Use the front brake (or rear, I prefer front) to hold the bike on the line and begin slipping out the clutch to load the transmission.

Back when I raced my EX, first gear was very short, so I kept my left foot on the peg, ready to shift. On my other bikes I don't need to, but force of habbit keeps my foot there for the sake of consistency.

When you want to leave the line, slip the clutch as smooth & fast as you can w/o lofting the front wheel & pin the throttle. USE THE CLUTCH TO KEEP THE FRONT WHEEL DOWN, NOT THE THROTTLE. Just keep the throttle pinned until you need to shift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts