Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It crossed my mind today about when I get my liscense, there is a new guy who moved in our neighborhood late July sometime. He owns a
Ducati 749(2003?). I saw him as I was riding around the neighborhood and we exchanged waves and what-not, he might be pretty cool. SO one day I was in my room and heard a pack of motorcycles....I ran and looked out the window and saw his Duc.....2 GSX-R's, one 600RR, and two Ninja's. I was just thinking awsome, but the question really is, Have you ever been riding, seen a group of riders, then just followed them? In my mind that seems really awkward to be a "leech" on a pack of riders.....but maybe it is common. So I am hoping we run into each other somewhere next year and i am invited to ride. They might be a cool little group, except a few lacked jackets/gloves and one was wearing shorts....... Just a thought, what do you guys think?

:ar :mg

Random icons, ingnore them ;)

·
______ETA B4U______
1,990 Posts
I met some guys I ride with now when I was out by myself. They pulled up to me at a light and said what's up. We talked for a minute and they asked where I was headed. I said nowhere just riding around and they said I could tag along if I wanted. I ride with the same guys all the time now.

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
That's pretty much how it works... quick way to spot people with a common interest just pick a group thats not going to get you killed!

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
The leaches are the guys that end up usually rolling in the ditch trying to keep up....it's happened to me and my buddies now twice.

NOW when we get a leach we do our best not to be dicks, but usually pull off and sit around till said leach bugs off.

Not trying to be elitists, but haviung had it happen now twice, where the tag-along tired to either keep up, or show off and both times they crashed and got hurt pretty bad, we like to get to know a person before they start a tag-along.....to ensure they realize the speed we ride, and the care we take not to cause one another to fuggup

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I understand what you mean Troy, I really don't have to worry about that now considering I have about 10 1/2 months before i have a liscense.............

I probably won't latch on, but maybe i will catch them around somewhere and be invited just to see how they ride, if I can't keep up....i will go solo :)

·
So Sexy it hurts
687 Posts
Well....when we ride it's usually not to hang out....it's to head to some killer twisties and do some tire molesting.

Being that you're going to benefit from other riders I'd try to catch them at a light and strike up a conversation...or shoot...stop by their house (not even on the bike) and see if they'd be willing to let you tag along.

The guys we had leaching were experienced riders looking to make another notch in their belt :( Guys that strive on showing others how good they ride or whatnot

I'm sure if you made contact and made it clear you're looking for experienced riders to learn from they'd be real good to you....most everyone likes to be a mentor.

·
Registered
501 Posts
i always worry about inexperienced riders following me. wait to get some seat time, couple thousand miles, then go introduce yourself. keep your following distance when traveling in a pack and check your mirrors.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
The grooup I ride with does not like tag alongs we will let outher people ride w/ us but all they have to do is ask. Personally I like to ride solo I feel more part of the bike that way I feel I am smother that way because I can hold any line I want that way and don't have to worry about getting in some one elses line.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just go talk to him. See if they have any place that they meet up etc...See if they are your style of rider and go from there. No one really cares about an extra rider if they are not annoying, ya know.

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
i think your best bet is to talk to them first. i wouldn't just try and follow them or anything because who knows how they ride or what kind of people they are.

back when i was working nights i was leaving work and merging onto the highway headed home and I merged right into about 10-15 bikes. i rode with them up the highway. every once in a while they would accelerate to 100-120 or so and then drop down to around the speed limit. I figured that since there was so many of us, and i didn't know any of them i'd just keep up and bolt if anything happened. we were running in both lanes, traffic directly behind us and next thing i know they all start hitting their brakes and diving off the road. the guy in front of me on a real POS bike was just slowing to a stop in the middle of the road. there was a semi behind us. i saw an opening around him a took it and kept going. i checked my mirrors and still couldn't figure out what happened, but it was a very dangerous situation for no good reason.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Mucho Gonzales said:
i think your best bet is to talk to them first. i wouldn't just try and follow them or anything because who knows how they ride or what kind of people they are.

back when i was working nights i was leaving work and merging onto the highway headed home and I merged right into about 10-15 bikes. i rode with them up the highway. every once in a while they would accelerate to 100-120 or so and then drop down to around the speed limit. I figured that since there was so many of us, and i didn't know any of them i'd just keep up and bolt if anything happened. we were running in both lanes, traffic directly behind us and next thing i know they all start hitting their brakes and diving off the road. the guy in front of me on a real POS bike was just slowing to a stop in the middle of the road. there was a semi behind us. i saw an opening around him a took it and kept going. i checked my mirrors and still couldn't figure out what happened, but it was a very dangerous situation for no good reason.
They must of seen a $50 in the middle of the road.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I can't remember the last time that didn't ride by myself.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good points, Well I will probably end up tlaking to him late sometime, It wasn't anything that would happen soon, just a thought.

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Riders in groups like you describe (especially the no gear and shorts comments) can cover a wide range of abilities, willingness to help/ride with others, and general "squidliness". One-on-one would be much better for you. If your neighbor on the duc seems a reasonable sort, get to know him first. Through general conversation about bikes, the neighbors, etc., both of you will figure out if it makes sense to ride together when the time comes.

It's important for each of you to respect the other's space. You don't need to get sucked in over your head and he doesn't need to get "stuck" with a noob every ride. I'll bet he would be willing to ride with you sometimes though and help you out. Most reasonable riders would.

·
how bout dem deadskins
3,235 Posts
just talk to them & everything will fall into place when you get your bike...

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
gixxer_751 said:
just talk to them & everything will fall into place when you get your bike...

Already got the bike.....just not the liscense

Good points all, thank you for the input fellas :D

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Every once in a while I'll run across a group of Italians riding together and I'll tag along. They normally set a decent pace, some of them go a little fast on the streets for my taste, if they do, I just back off and let them be. But Italian guys are a blast to ride with, main reason I follow them is because I know they know where the good roads are at. Hell, most of the good riding roads I've found have been from randomly tagging along with a group of Italians.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
I'm usually the one being followed, but that's only because I'm female, but I when I moved to Kentucky, I didn't know any one. I went into the local stealdealer to see what they had, bought some stuff I needed, talked to the sales guys, told um that I ride, which freaked them out since the majority of ppl here in BG Ky, have never seen a woman ride her OWN bike, and they invited me to ride along on the Sunday rides. So that's how I met the ppl I now ride with. Kinna was that way in all the other cities I lived in.

See where they may hang out, and one day when your out for a ride, just pull up and start talking. You'll be in, in no time.. :D It's simple! Or also, organise a ride in your area. It's amazing how many ppl show up.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Get some skils first some groops can be downright dangerous especally overbraking and stopping for no good reason. I have rode up to people all the time but I usually try to leave some distance untill I get to a stop light or quick shop first to talk. If i am visiting a town I will go to the dealership and ask where people meet up.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
smokenjoe said:
Get some skils first some groops can be downright dangerous especally overbraking and stopping for no good reason.
That's an excellent point... anytime you ride in a group, make sure you leave some good distance between yourself and the rider ahead. If someone doesn't have turn signals or if they're not very visible, be EXTREMELY careful. Always assume that the rider in front might turn left, right, or fully lay on the brakes at any instant. Never "blip" your throttle for speed bursts when you're riding in a group. If you blip it and the guy ahead lays on the brakes at the same instant, you might not have time to react.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts