Sport Bikes banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Shop around bro. I deal a lot with businesses and places that offer discounts are usually questionable. At least consult others.
I DID shop around. This is a limited offer available only until end of November. I can find ads right now for "$299 per eye", LOL, yeah right. I don't want "The Minority Report" version. :p Dr Ferguson is the BEST surgeon in the state, even other doctors come to him for LASIK. Only a 3.8% return procedure. President of American college of Opthalmology. So yeah, he's good.

$3500 both eyes, top place in Dallas in 2008
LOL, yeah...in 2008! Welcome to 2014! Oh, It was only going to be $3850 (then $500 off discount, bringing it to $3350), if I'd had gotten regular LASIK, which uses blades. I opted for all lasers. I want the BEST, not the cheapest!

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
LOL, yeah...in 2008! Welcome to 2014! Oh, It was only going to be $3850 (then $500 off discount, bringing it to $3350), if I'd had gotten regular LASIK, which uses blades. I opted for all lasers. I want the BEST, not the cheapest!
That's the smart way to do it. Never skimp on your eyes. The prices they advertise are usually for the most basic, oldest style service. When I got mine I tacked on every option I was eligible for, especially since I was only getting one eye done.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
I had it done back in 2004 or something like that. I had all laser and it was the best thing I ever did. 20 minutes and a day of rest then great vision soon after. I might have to have it done again but that is part of the deal a "tune up" if needed. Right now I see fine but not sure it is 20-20 anymore. I guess I need to go get my vision checked to be sure.

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
I went for my evaluation/consultation today.

I an excellent candidate for Zeimer (all laser) LASIK. For a man my age, I will be 98-99% chance of having 20/20 (or better) vision. For 44 years old, I am the best candidate they have seen, and he said the surgery will be the easiest I could get. My OD Dr I saw, said he is 45, had his done 15 years ago, and my vision is half of what his was, and His vision is still great.
I dunno, an OD doing this? That's Osteopathic Doctor? Last time I checked, there are no bones in your eye.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts

I waited years because I didn't want the blades either. All laser

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Not to be such a smarta$$, but I have to believe your 4 grand helps make you the best candidate they have seen. I'll bet they say that to all the boys (in my best Bugs Bunny voice)

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I dunno, an OD doing this? That's Osteopathic Doctor? Last time I checked, there are no bones in your eye.
No no...LOL.

Optometry Doctor. They have optometrists come in and evaluate if your eyes are healthy enough, get your prescription done, etc. Then the surgeon will do the actual laser surgery.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Had mine done over 6 years ago after loosing a contact while out riding. I went a popular doctor here in Dallas who herds patients in like an assembly line. All the assistants do the pre-work measurements and the doctor comes in the end. Still got perfect results but I would have liked to have the doctor do everything from start to finish.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I had an optometrist come in and do the prescription needed, and measurements, etc. And the opthamologist will do the surgery.

And it's THIS THURSDAY! Getting excited and nervous at the same time.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hmmmm, I had an evaluation done with Updegraffe over 10 yeas ago, was told 20/20 in my good eye and 20/40 or better in my bad eye. But, I'm scared of the long term effects, and glasses and contacts don't bother me all that much... But after reading this thread, and considering I need new glasses/sunglasses/contacts, eye might check it out again :)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
My girlfriend had it done and is pleased except for she says her night vision is sometimes a little off, headlights bother her but not enough to regret the procedure

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, done and done. Was super easy. I went for the "day after" follow up, and I have 20/15 vision. :D I didn't experience a single itch or burning/hurting in my eyes.

SUPER happy! I can read road signs 1/4 - 1/2 mile away! It has also helped some of my sensitivity to light. Not totally, but it's bearable now!

There is a couple of small complications, which may or may not dissipate.
1) It has made my ability to see close up, worse. Dr. said it "should" go back to where it was in a month or so.
2) Inside with flourescent lighting, there is a slight haze around any text, or anything bright. Again may dissipate.

And it is correct, that at night, headlights look like starbursts. But when I went outside, everything was super crisp. I felt like a new man.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
1 week checkup. I found out I have IMPROVED vision. :D

I can read half of the 20/10 line. So, do I have 20/12 vision? :D

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Hmmmm, thinking I'm going to go back for at least another eval before I drop 100s on new glasses. Gotta admit, I was scared 10 years ago because I felt the technology hadn't been around long enough to know the long term effects, but here we are and I know several people that have had it done for a long time. Also, while I've heard some horror stories, I can say all the firsthand experiences were positive - I don't personally know 1 person that's hwad it done that regrets it!

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Best thing to do is research. I MADE SURE I had the best in the state, and I am impressed with my results.

As I am aging (44 now) it was going to cost $400 a year for bi-focals.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts