Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone had this done? I go for a consultation visit Oct. 23rd. A little nervous, but I have one of the best Drs in America.

Dr. Lance Ferguson.

Dr. Lance S. Ferguson is the current President of the American College of Eye Surgeons.
Over 81,000 procedures
Voluntarily re-certifies every 7 years.
Has a 3.8% "re-touch" visit. Meaning only 3.8% have to come back for a 2nd procedure. National average is 12-15%.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Best thing I ever did, except I can see the alarm clock from across the room now.

How are you getting it done? Mine was not a flap, but rather scrape back the top of the cornea, laser it and then back in place. It's a longer healing time but supposedly better if you play hard or hit your coconut on something.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
My mom had her's done, fantastic. experience.

I had mine done in 2008.

I'm the only bad experience I've heard of. I made the mistake of driving myself and getting both eyes done. My left eye was incredibly painful, that happens with some people. Both were hurting going home to where I couldn't keep either open. I was crawling the walls for hours

By that night I felt better, the next day I was out riding.

I would go through it again in a heart beat. Lasik is awesome, best thing I've done, I'd just be a bit smarter next time.

·
OO=[][]=OO
7,410 Posts
yup, had it done in 2005. still 20/20+ and i agree that it was one of the best things i have done in my life. i was blind as fuck before.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I had it done in 2011, only got one eye done as the other was fine. Best thing ever. My bad eye still isn't perfect but I don't need glasses anymore. The Doc said I'll probably need at least reading glasses when I get older but it bought me a solid 20 years of glass free living, well worth it IMO. Except now I can't stop buying sunglasses which I could never wear before.

Surgery was easy, the next two days sucked, but after that everything was awesome.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Best thing I ever did, except I can see the alarm clock from across the room now.

How are you getting it done? Mine was not a flap, but rather scrape back the top of the cornea, laser it and then back in place. It's a longer healing time but supposedly better if you play hard or hit your coconut on something.
I don't know yet. I haven't went for my consultation. But from the email I sent (I filled out a form) they say I'd be better suited for Refractive lensectomy, which are implants. But no way am I getting monovision or blended vision. Which will give one eye near sighted, and the other eye receives far sighted vision.
I currently need bi-focal glasses. My last prescription (Sept. 2012) I was 175/225 (left eye), and 195/235 (right eye).

Being able to see far away is more important to me. Just to ride the bike! :D

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I've never given it serious thought til reading this thread. my left eye, which has always been far sighted, has gotten really bad lately.

·
Registered
15,272 Posts
my last prescriptions were about 800's

that's what a normal person can see at 800 feet I had to be 20 feet away.

I was pretty much blind, and if uncorrectable, I would have been legally blind

Mine was laser flap, laser reprofile, put the flap back

·
You are here
3,535 Posts
No how no way. The rate of complications is far higher than you represent, and all of them are grounding. I didn't work my six off to get a pilot's license to flush all that down the drain for LASIK. No one's ever been grounded for wearing glasses.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No how no way. The rate of complications is far higher than you represent, and all of them are grounding. I didn't work my six off to get a pilot's license to flush all that down the drain for LASIK. No one's ever been grounded for wearing glasses.
I didn't state rate of complications. I stated rate of re-touch....or the rate of how many people needed to come back for a 2nd procedure to get perfect vision. Dr. Ferguson's is 3.8% came back (and that's out of 81,000 procedures). National average is 12-15% coming back for 2nd procedure.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
My girlfriend had this done two years ago, she had horrible vision, and at night she was practically blind, she could not drive or ride at all once it got dark. Could not read street signs till we were right next to them it was so bad, no matter how bright it was outside. She was scared to have it done, but her vision was debilitating already, what did she have to lose. It's the best money ever spent on her. She needed eye drops for dryness for the first year, but she cried constantly for the first few week, her vision was that much better. It was like an awakening. No more heavy glasses or contacts, ever. Driving at night now is a non issue, no more star patterns when looking towards the street lights, she can even see fine at night in the rain now. Worth every red cent.

·
All right meow...
2,719 Posts
Yeah, I did the eye drop thing for about six months and was able to stop. Only time I need them now is if I am going 4-5 days on 2 hrs a night sleep. Even then I can just blink for bit and good. I've heard of people having problems with not tearing at times.

My girlfriend had this done two years ago, she had horrible vision, and at night she was practically blind, she could not drive or ride at all once it got dark. Could not read street signs till we were right next to them it was so bad, no matter how bright it was outside. She was scared to have it done, but her vision was debilitating already, what did she have to lose. It's the best money ever spent on her. She needed eye drops for dryness for the first year, but she cried constantly for the first few week, her vision was that much better. It was like an awakening. No more heavy glasses or contacts, ever. Driving at night now is a non issue, no more star patterns when looking towards the street lights, she can even see fine at night in the rain now. Worth every red cent.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I am afraid I would be the exception to prove the rule and I would be blinded. I will go with glasses until there is no other choice

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I went for my evaluation/consultation today.

I an excellent candidate for Zeimer (all laser) LASIK. For a man my age, I will be 98-99% chance of having 20/20 (or better) vision. For 44 years old, I am the best candidate they have seen, and he said the surgery will be the easiest I could get. My OD Dr I saw, said he is 45, had his done 15 years ago, and my vision is half of what his was, and His vision is still great.

However, with my decision, I chose not to get Refractive Lensectomy (because $4900 per eye!), and so later on my life, I will need reading glasses. Doesn't bother me, I read as little as possible now.

SO...November 13th, I will be with out glasses for the first time in 30 years.

The Damage?

$4550
-$500 discount because I mentioned a coupon they had on Facebook (valid until end of November)
______
$4050 included taxes all surgical supplies, and 4 follow up visits. (1 day, 1 week, 1 month, and 6 months), with FREE enhancements in the first 2 years (2nd procedure).

$4050
-$1500 cash
_____
Financing $2500

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Shop around bro. I deal a lot with businesses and places that offer discounts are usually questionable. At least consult others.

I went to a dentist recently because they have an extra-ordinarily high rating on yelp. I did a lot of research and looked for the usual queues that indicate 'sponsor filtering' (Yelp business consultant making sure things are 'extra' fair for sponsors) and after I got several cavities filled, I now have this issue where if I eat something hot or cold, my teeth get very uncomfortable. Your eyes are that much more critical. I thought "cavities...how hard is it to screw that up". Now I know.

BTW, I've had cavities fixed a few times before with no problem, and this time they fixed more cavities than I believe were necessary.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts