Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,659 Posts
I just got done being evaluated for PRK. I am having it done on the 13th of July. Kind of nervous, but really excited about the prospect of ditching my glasses/contacts permanently. I can PM you my progress after I get it done.

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
As soon as I get the cash I am going for it.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
My mom did it before she went to Korea, a few months ago, she loves it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My wife is about to have her 3rd enhancement. She didn't go to one of these laser assembly lines, either. She went to the top doctor in the southwest. Cost about double what others charge because this guy is so good. She's not real thrilled with the results.

I, on the other hand, had RK back in 1992. I've been 20/15 ever since with zero problems.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
TexasCop said:
My wife is about to have her 3rd enhancement. She didn't go to one of these laser assembly lines, either. She went to the top doctor in the southwest. Cost about double what others charge because this guy is so good. She's not real thrilled with the results.

I, on the other hand, had RK back in 1992. I've been 20/15 ever since with zero problems.
That is what I am afraid of. These doctors claims thousands and thousands of patients done but you never know for real. Yeah, its a crapshoot.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Saw a thing on the discovery channel on how it's done. They actually cut the outside layer of your eye out and then shoot laser beams inside of it burning the retina (or something like that). Looked pretty freaky to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't think they cut anymore, but use some kinda laser that bypasses that first layer and just burns the second. At least, I think thats what I heard.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A little history: I had PRK laser vision correction done in feb 03. I needed to have it done in order to satisfy applicant requirments for the RCMP. I spent a lot of time researching it as well as talking to a couple of optometrists about it. In the end, I went with the PRK procedure from Focus Eye Centre (A company up here in canada). I'll get to my reasons below.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1. Which procedure are you having done
2. What is your long term risk of eye trauma.

There are two general procedures for laser surgury:
1. LASIK - In this procedure they cut a flap in the surface of the eye so that they can get at the cornea below it. This is probably one of the more advertized types od surgury. With this one, you are pretty much good to go as soon as the procedure is done. The major downside is the flap, on the surface of the eye there is a thin layer of cells called the epithilium (sp?). It ca n grow back, however the cells below it can't. As such there is an inherint weakness left in the eye after this procedure. A jab or hit in the eye at the wrong angle and you run the risk of that flap becoming disloged. Next stop after that is a cornea transplant from a cadaver. Ouch.

2. PRK - In this procedure, they use the laser to burn through the epithilium before they do the actual vision correction. As a result there is no flap cut and no weakness in the eye caused by the cut. However, you have to deal with the healing which lasts considerably longer. As you can imagine it is a little painful seeing as how they burnt the surface of your eye off. I spent 3 days on demerol, sitting in a chair applying frozen face clothes to my face to give some relief. After that initial period my vision improved rapidly.

In the end, seeing as how odds are good i am going to get hit in my soon to be new line of work, PRK was the way to go.

Also, be careful about where you go. Bargain basement is not always the best. There is a company around here that has declared bankrupcy 2 or 3 times (due to lawsuits from clients) and opened up new companies within a year doing the same thing.

Would I do things the same way if i had another chance? Beyond a doubt. I have to get a good 60 years outta these eyes and don't need any parts falling off. ;)

As for how well the surgery went? I now how 20/20 vision in both eyes. It had been as bad as 20/400+ in one eye and aroudn 20/200 in the other one before the procedure. (Yes, that means i had trouble making out letters at 20 feet that normal people could see past the 400 foot mark, ouch). As for my application, I leave for training next month and start just shy of two years after i started the application! :grinbounc

Hmm... Is this some type of record for length of first post? ;)

-Chris

·
ninja shadow warrior
242 Posts
think very hard abouit it. my friend had the ladar and i have carried his but for two weeks afgter the surgery. monday, he will find out if it's healed up. supposedly, it should have been fine by the fifth day..i dunno. i wear glasses. be damned if i risk my eyesight. nothing is guaranteed, you could be the unlucky one..

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
I've been thinking about doing it. My brother had it done last year and he can't say enough about how happy he is with the results.

·
Registered
237 Posts
my major problem with any of these types of surgery is that they still do not know the long term effects of any of the procedures. there is going to be scarring no matter what process they use. this is ok if you are older and and perhaps you will die before it becomes a problem, but I am not too thrilled about the idea of being twenty-something, having the surgery done, and then not being able to see well when I am in my sixties. All of the surgeries have been done for years, just not here in the US where we have much stricter rules and trials to go through.
the problem with lasik has already been pointed out. I have heard horror stories of people putting on clothes and catching the flap on their eye that never heals. Just think of it this way, if you ride a motorcycle and lay it down after having lasik, then you run a good chance of rupturing your eye. Eyes are very delicate organs and are one of only two organs that your body can treat as foreign and start to attack through your immune system (your testicles are the other, so women don't have to worry).
I want the surgery but will not have it done until I am absolutely sure that any scarring that may occur will not cause me to go blind later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
actually, now that my eyes are healed, there is no evidence of the surgery and no scarring.

I have been to another opt and they had no idea that i had went through the procedure last year. With LASIK there will always be scarring due once again to that flap.

-Chris

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife had the LASIK done. It took about 10 min and she was done.She use to be blind as a bat. I keep forgetting now when I :boid her off she can see me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had Lasik done 3 yrs ago and i love it. yes the lasik procedure does invole cutting the fist layer off but the whole procedure last like 15 mins and almost imeddetly see better. i remeber the next day i was amazed as i woke as i could clearly see the clock across the room, where before it was blurred and hard to make out.
and yes i was like you very questionable, asking every one i knew, till i meet a freind of mine whoo had it done for 6 yrs.
i was 20/200, now 20/15

Best advice is call aound and see whos had it done in your area. and find out which doctor they went to, and how they feel about it.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I had lasik done last year at one of the assembly line places. Several of my friends and coworkers went to the same place and had the same doctor.

We are all extremely pleased with the results.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
For you guys that have it done. Are you 100% sure the eye can be kept open for that long and not blink. I am sure everyone worries about being under that laser and having to blink or having an enormous itch.

I got contacts on right now. Contacts are the safest thing to do but prices have dropped some much for these surgeries it affordable to most everyone.

·
Registered
64 Posts
yellowduc said:
my major problem with any of these types of surgery is that they still do not know the long term effects of any of the procedures.
Actually, this technology has been around since the 1940's. It was started by the Russians. They were perfecting the vision of their pilots during WWII by doing a primative form of RK. There have been no long term ill effects noted, but for a few random separation of scar tissue.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts