Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k well like it says...im trying to find a suitable bike for myself, im 6'4 and a bit about 200 pounds, so kinda skinny but whatever, anyways, im very new to the sport, like most kids ive seen in here they have talked bout getting a new r6 for a starter bike, and well to be honest i thought the same thing, but after reading a bit of this forum and hearing countless stories from others, im not exactly sure if i should start off so fast so soon. that being said, im looking for a good bike to get me started, i have very little riding experience, however i do intend on taking riders training here which is sorta equivilant to MSF i assume in the states. Where should i start, being so big/new and whatnot. thanks for the help.

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
20,262 Posts
You should be fine on a 500. Maybe an SV650. Your height shouldn't be too much of a problem. I had a buddy who was 6'6 and rode an F4i...looked like a grasshopper humping a motorcycle but wasn't to unbearable riding it. Good on you for wanting to get a smaller bike and not "following" the crowd. I started on an F4i and things worked okay for me but may not for all

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ex500

im thinkin maybe the ex500, but worried if its too much bike to be starting off with, but if i go smaller, then its just going to look silly....either way i want to be safe about it, and eventually move up into the higher classed bikes...not really concerned about the amount of time it takes to move up, i just want to get that wind blowing by my face soon.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Dude, your attitude is awsome. You should be able to easily handle that bike. You know your limitations, and that is such a good thing. There are so many who buy the speed demons, wipe out, and make us all look bad. My friend, the wind blowing in your face and the hum of that engine is what it is all be about.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks f3, this is a long ways off, but when im ready to move up what should i look at....is there any ride more designed for a person with my frame, i dont weigh a ton, just really lanky...thanks again

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's all about what your comfortable with. More power doesn't mean a better ride. Find a bike with the bars mounted below the tree, it will give you a little more stretch. You could always find after market rear sets too, that will move your feet back and up a little. By the time you outgrow this bike, styles will change. The best thing to do is sit on them. Your body will tell you if it is comfortable or not.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ya,

If you want a bike that you can learn on a build great riding skills without being overpowered then I suggest the 500 or the GS500F. both are great bikes but I am bias to the ninja because I am in the middle of buying a 2004 500R. Anyways like other have said sit on them both and that should really help you find which one you like better.

·
Posse Pimp Daddy #1
2,767 Posts
We need more newbies like this guy! I can't give you enough props Ryder. You should be ok with an EX500. I am 6'4 250lbs and i rode a friends just fine.... I have an SV1000s myself. If you don't feel comfy on the 500 look at the SV650..... Just be aware of the torque. Make sure you get something you are somewhat comfortable on. But always remember your gear and ride within your limits!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Get the Ninja 500R

I started on, am currently ride an 02 Ninja 500R. They rock.

Lots of power but not enough to fuck you when u screw up. It will wheelie on you if you pop the clutch but other than that, the power is easily handleable.

The 500R is an amazing bike with a fairly comfortable riding position.

·
Registered
20 Posts
sup, I'm 6'4 250lbs. Even thought I have a ZX6R, I must say that I was quite impressed with the 250 Alphasport (similar frame and bodywork as a SV650) that I rode during my MSF course. Had plenty power to haul my arse around without any hesitation. Don't let anyone fool ya into thinking any bike is too small. As long as you feel comfortable with it, it's all to the good.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
You ultimately will have to physically sit on each bike. The SV650 I have heard is cramping. The pegs are high set which gets very old very quick. Altho I was reading somewhere that the new 04 SV650's have the same larger frame as the 1000 so it would be much more comfortable to a taller rider.

Might I suggest the FZ6 for you. I'm not a tall rider (5'-10", on a good day 5'-11") but I have heard because of the ergos on this bike that it is a comfortable taller rider bike. Best suggest tho is to get out there and sit on them all. The FZ has a centerstand so you can prop it up there and get in full riding position (both feet on pegs) to see if it's comfortable.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Hey there. I am also 6'4", 250lbs. I felt comfortable on the ex500. the 250, I just felt way too big. I would also suggest, if you are looking used, checking out a Yamaha Seca II(XJ600S). It is a sporty, very comfortable, and well rounded bike. It is a 600, but only makes like 45hp, and I think even less tq. You can ride all day on it. Easier to work on because it is air cooled. I do hear, once you get more comfortable to really get into the twisties, you have to modify the pegs, because they will start scraping. But, I have talked to Seca owners that never touched the pegs. I had one until and unfortunate incident, and I will not hesitate to buy another if I find a good deal on one.

·
Registered
12 Posts
looked like a grasshopper humping a motorcycle
Damn you! I envy the hell outta all of you. I'm 6'3, skinny as well and I'm 20 years old...but living in Switzerland, I have to ride a 125 for 2 years before I can move up to a real bike!!! I'm probably getting an NSR125, and your grasshopper comment is prolly as true is it gets.

Booo!

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
od1: It is I who envy you. Maybe if the US had laws similar to all over Europe, including Italy where I am now, we wouldn't have so many squids and newbie rider deaths. I love the laws that limit what you can ride by your age and experience, if someone does finally try to pass a law like that they've got my full support!

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Have you considered a dual purpose bike?
KLR 650, Suz etc...

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
I'm 5'2" and ride a stock height R6, bike really doesn't care how big you are, it will throw you off just the same. I think you need to start smaller possibly a yzf600r, Kat600, SV650 etc... MSF course is a good investment.
Good luck,
Courtney

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Moon said:
Have you considered a dual purpose bike?
KLR 650, Suz etc...
not really down with it....at all actually, i think im going for a gs500f...still very undecided

SicFLgirlR6 said:
I'm 5'2" and ride a stock height R6, bike really doesn't care how big you are, it will throw you off just the same. I think you need to start smaller possibly a yzf600r, Kat600, SV650 etc... MSF course is a good investment.
Good luck,
Courtney
firstly read the whole thread...secondly we dont have MSF here in canaduh but we have similar courses that can be taken, and yes i am investing in one.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Invest in any basic course that you can get into as a start.

The GS500 is a great street bike for a new rider. As are Kaw 500, SV650 (maybe) and others.
Check around a sit on the various bikes. If you don't feel too cramped you might look around on the "pre-owned" market. Find a "rat bike", a cheap runner that you can get some learning time on. That street experience that allows you time too get your skills together. If riding is for you you can look at the type of riding you plan to do and what you can afford. Shop the moto rags (sort of reading between the lines) and later decide what might best fit.

Grab a copy of something like "The Complete Idiots Guide to Motorcycles". Learn as much as possible because riding is easier if you can "properly use the grey matter between your ears".

-----------------------------------
"Weigh your risks and keep the scales in your favor..."

1 - 20 of 24 Posts