Sport Bikes banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on a good laptop. I was looking at spending 1200 and dont know which brand is best.

·
Registered
418 Posts
DELL... unless you want more media crap... then SONY.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
J0HNK said:
DELL... unless you want more media crap... then SONY.
I second that. As I write this post, I'm currently using my new Dell Inspiron 6000. It has WIN XP pro ,1.6ghz centrino, 1 gig of ddr2 ram, 60 gig 4200rpm hard drive, 126 meg video card, 8x dvd -+ drive & upgraded WUXGA LCD panel and last but not least, 9 cell lithium battery.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
If you can get a decent IBM, e.g. G-series for a good deal, then go IBM.

I've repaired IBM, Toshiba, Dell and Compaq. IBMs are the best in terms of reliability.

·
Sportbike.net junkie
1,242 Posts
mikem317 said:
If you can get a decent IBM, e.g. G-series for a good deal, then go IBM.

I've repaired IBM, Toshiba, Dell and Compaq. IBMs are the best in terms of reliability.

IBM if you can afford it. Best harddrives ever. Never had any sort of hardware issues with any IBM's ive ever used or owned. I do have a buddy that has Dell and the board took a shit. Dell did have good customer service and they shipped him a new laptop and sent a box for the old one to go out in.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
I have a Dell Desktop and use a Dell laptop for my college work and some paperwork pertaining to my job. Actually I am typing on the laptop right now. So far I have yet to have any problems with them. I gave around $700 for my Inspiron 1000. Kind of limited on it's expandability later on but it has taken everything I have thrown at it so far.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Get a Toshiba or an ASUS and trash the rest!

I work and Install Laptops almost every day, and let me tell you that Toshiba and Asus are way ahead of the others. And besides.. if you need assistance... they're the best at it!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hey Jimbo, what do you need the laptop for? It really depends on the usage you plan to get out of it. Personally I like the Dell 700m. The thing weighs in at 4 lbs which is about the weight of a light textbook. If you're always on the go then it would be perfect for ya.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
kdk1899 said:
IBM if you can afford it. Best harddrives ever. Never had any sort of hardware issues with any IBM's ive ever used or owned. I do have a buddy that has Dell and the board took a shit. Dell did have good customer service and they shipped him a new laptop and sent a box for the old one to go out in.
Yup. I'm finishing up my college undergrad in Boston and I repair notebooks to get through it. IBMs are much better than the rest. Very good reliability, and they do have issues, but our failure rate is like 1 or 2%, compared to other manufacturers that are double or triple that.

That's the first Dell customer service success story. I was on hold for FOUR HOURS trying to get a restoration disk from them, and I didn't get it.

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
3,067 Posts
If you are computer illiterate MACs are awesome... But yeah dells are pretty nice..

My new IBM is pretty durable, but work bought it and i know they are over priced.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Ghost Rider said:
I've had more than one person tell me their toshiba was a POS. It seems they don't stand up too well to the occasional accidental bump.
Neither do Dells, at least the smaller profile portables. Toshibas aren't as great as people make them out to be. Back in 2001 they had a recall because they were catching fire. Toshiba owners got $200 gift cards to use anywhere as a result of the following class action suit.

Get a used IBM if you can. Refurbished ones from IBM are a little cheaper but you get the same reliability.

They're like the Hondas of notebook computers.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
Apple has awesome customer service in my experience. My friend the master programmer likes them a lot, and recommended it to me, but he has PCs too (says IBM is best as most have mentioned) for work purposes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts