Sport Bikes banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys - I need to know what your experiences are with lanesplitting during rush hour traffic. In San Diego its a very common thing to do so most motorists use thier mirrors and actually will give you some room to go (not sure if its Illegal) ....

I am still getting used to the "different" style of drivers the Phoenix area has to offer. So any advice on when, where, and where NOT to do it would help.....and how cool the fuzz is towards riders out here......

still a newbie to Phoenix so I am trying to get a feel for the attitudes towards bikers here from cops & drivers on the highway & surface streets ... thanks for the advice!

P.S. - where the hell can I find a place that has some gear for the road - I want to get those Icon Motorhead boots or the alpinestar stunt shoes but I cant find anywhere to try them on and see which ones i like. Call me crazy but I like to try on the gear before I drop a few c-notes on it. any help would be appreciated - I hate driving all over town like a jackass trying to hunt down a shop with a decent selection of gear ...... :fiddy

·
ASMA Racer
2,532 Posts
Lanesplitting is not legal in Arizona.

Helmet Harbor in Gilbert (Guadalupe & Stapley) is a good apparel vendor.

·
6th Gear Whore
314 Posts
lane splitting is LEGAL in california. they have a law stating that motorcycles can split lanes so they dont overheat. it was back in the day when most motorcycles were watercooled. so they let you split so you wouldnt overheat. well they didnt specify what kind of motorcycle, which is why its legal now-a-days.

though in arizona, its illegal. but i was just split the other day by some guy on a Honda, who then proceeded to do a wheelie for half a mile in front of me

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thats good to know - That explains why I would see almost every bike split on the 5 during rush hour traffi!

although I would think that overheating would be more of a problem out here! It is for me - when I am sitting on the 101 at 5:30 pm creeping along watching my temp gauge rise to almost redline ..... I wonder if that would get me out of a ticket for lanesplitting?

"well ya see officer - my bike was overheaating and I needed to get some air flowing thru the radiator....."

so does anyone know how strongly it is enforced on these hot summer days?

p.s. That new 202 connector at the 60 @ ellsworth is a drag strip - AND a speed trap - almost got caught today - saw some cars ahead of me light up thier brake lights so i slowed down just in time ..... saw the mirrored glasses staring me down from the inside of an air conditioned coche of phoenix's finest ..... just an FYI....

Thanks for the Info! keep em coming!

·
TD Survivor
944 Posts
p.s. That new 202 connector at the 60 @ ellsworth is a drag strip - AND a speed trap - almost got caught today - saw some cars ahead of me light up thier brake lights so i slowed down just in time ..... saw the mirrored glasses staring me down from the inside of an air conditioned coche of phoenix's finest ..... just an FYI

yeah i almost got caught there too one night not wanting to go straight home at night felt like gunning it on the on ramp off baseline and at the top of the on ramp there was dps luckily i was slowing down by then to about 90 but till too fast when there is a cop around. damn that was close.

·
Registered
58 Posts
No lanespliting in Az and it's a pretty hefty fine if you get cought. Drivers here suck, they don't pay attention and they're not aware of there surroundings.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Summer time is the ONLY time that you can feel certain that you're actually somewhere close to reality . . . come Winter and all the Q-tips start heading into town, watch the $%@* out! They don't even see cages, let alone those of us with rockets AND reflexes!

P.S. The m/c cops are dicks out here!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:eek:nfloor ?!?!?! Q-TIPS ?!?!?!?! :eek:nfloor

Thats a new one for me - I guess I will have to be on the look out for Motorhomes and all the SUV's with plates from Iowa, Michigan, Minnesota ....... and knitting ... and knitting...... ahand knitting ..... :pisson

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
sfifer71 said:
P.S. The m/c cops are dicks out here!
i'd have to disagree - i did a stand up past one (didn't see him hiding) and when i pulled in to the gas station he pulled in behind me and after running my info let me off with a lecture and made me trailer it home...

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
ProfessorChaos said:
What size shoe are you. I have some size 12 stunts ill sell for very cheap.
:eek:nfloor :eek:nfloor
i had a witness..TSAVO was folowing in my exploder...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you must have got lectured by the ONLY mc patrol who works a speed trap and isnt on some kind of power trip .... I heard there was one in Vegas too .... he rides around the loop sometimes ..... you got lucky .....

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
az_pyro said:
you must have got lectured by the ONLY mc patrol who works a speed trap and isnt on some kind of power trip .... I heard there was one in Vegas too .... he rides around the loop sometimes ..... you got lucky .....
it's cause i'm old.... :beer

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
old and busted

speaking of getting old ..... isnt your birthday coming up here soon? :urowned

i'm thinking your too old for your new setup - better hang up the leathers and sell me your bike before i buy phillbies or kx2zx's ...... :headbang

oh wait - I'm 33 ... nevermind ..... almost qualify for the veterens class before my first race ..... :cry

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
az_pyro said:
speaking of getting old ..... isnt your birthday coming up here soon? :urowned

i'm thinking your too old for your new setup - better hang up the leathers and sell me your bike before i buy phillbies or kx2zx's ......
yep i turn 44 this sunday the 7th....can you say strip club :beer :banana :beer

1 - 15 of 15 Posts