Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
"Swerve and Protect"

Okay, I want to post this up here to see some reaction. Just a warning, this involves illegal activity (lanesplitting), and no, I am not a squid.

I was hesitant to post this up here on SBN because of the LEO presence, but after thinking it over, I have done nothing wrong (except riding on the shoulder in standstill traffic). Go ahead, have a read, then read the additional disclaimer at the bottom.

This was in South Padre Island, TX. (SPI) There is a long (2.5 mile) bridge from the land to the barrier island. It's actually pretty high above the water.

(originally posted to a local board on 7/04/05)

Last night (7/03), while it was still light outside, around 6 pm, island bound traffic was a parking lot on the causeway. I don't usually lanesplit, and I actually have never done it before, just for information. I see a guy go by on a blue gixxer 750 on the right shoulder, and I decided to follow him, so that I would be able to see obstacles when he reached them, and have proper time to react. So we're crusing down the right shoulder for 5 mins or so, and the gixxer goes by this brownish/tan top-less Jeep Wrangler, and as I am about to pass (on the right shoulder, bay-side, mind you) the jeep swerves in front of me, into the shoulder. The guy has a hot girlfriend with him and he turns around and shoots me an eat shit grin. I tried to go to his left, he swerved again (keep in mind that traffic is at a near standstill.) So I figure, OK, this guy is an asshole, I'll stay behind him. He turns around, starts yelling at me.

"Hey buddy, you're screwed, I'm a cop and as soon as we get to the island you need to pull over and you're in deep shit." He's smiling like a jackass the whole time. At this point I hated him. I had no doubt he really was a SPI cop, he had the build and definately filled the asshole requirement. As he's turning around yelling at me, I hear his girlfriend cry out, and ... *BAM* he rear-ends the car in front of him.

:urowned

I shot him the bird, and proceeded to ride the shoulder away, to the island beyond. :neener As I left, I heard him get on his PA and tell me "I'll find you on the island."

Never saw him again. I did, however, overhear another officer at a gas station early this morning talking about a trooper getting in an accident last night.

Karma.

edit: I must mention that when he initially swerved at me, were it not for my reflexes, I would be dead. I understand that is the danger of lane-splitting or shoulder-riding, but this was un-necessary, especially coming from an LEO on a national holiday.

If you saw the helmet sticker, found the site, and you're reading this, I just want to say that you're a total dick. Serve and Protect my ass, don't try to kill me. I did nothing to you to warrant your attempt at my life. If there's a problem, pull me over. Write me a ticket if you want, but swerving at a motorcyclist is a no-go, and I hope you learned that.

okay guys, so before you start bashing me for leaving and not making sure they were okay, they were fine. he was still yelling at me (through a PA system on his Jeep) as I drove off. it wasn't that high speed of an accident.

--

and off topic.. here's a nice desktop rez shot of the bike for no reason at all... :headbang

http://addivinum.artificial-adagio.net/padre/BIKEDESKTOP.jpg

·
Full Time Slacker
3,178 Posts
#1: [email protected] jackass getting exactly what he deserved.

#2: I would never pull over on someone's say so. If the guy isn't on duty there is no way in hell I'm stopping for him. Anyone can say they're a cop, screw that. He can call a black and white if its a big deal. And if he draws down he better hope he's very good with a pistol, because I KNOW I am. Stuff like that I'll take my chances in court rather than with some road raging nutcase whether he turns out to be an officer or not.

#3: LOL again at that prick getting what he deserves. I lean towards the side of the cops for the most part, LEO friends and mentors, majored in crim justice in college, I'm just too irresponsible to be a cop. :D But in this case the guy was trying to flex his authority, probably because bikes lanesplitting is a pet peeve. Hope he enjoys the damage to his jeep and higher insurance rates. Ass clown.

·
Where's my bike???
628 Posts
addivinum said:
"Hey buddy, you're screwed, I'm a cop and as soon as we get to the island you need to pull over and you're in deep shit."
RIGHT when this happend I would have been off my bike getting his badge number & been calling his boss!

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
BSR423 said:
RIGHT when this happend I would have been off my bike getting his badge number & been calling his boss!
Bump that. He got what he deserved, prob. a $500 deductable on insurance, points on insurance. Obviously not getting a fine, but he was inconvenienced. He made an attempt on a rider's life because he was what? lane-splitting? Cop or no cop, got what was coming to him. Don't try to murder somebody if they just lane-split.

·
at the track
3,121 Posts
That's why you stop at Dollar General and buy a $1 bag of purple marbles before you ride.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I'm not gonna condone the lanesplitting but I will confess to riding a shoulder past 3 or 4 cars to make a right turn on occasion.

I am gonna second what Big Slacker said and call that guy an Ass Clown!

·
From back in da' day
2,777 Posts
i dont think the guy was really a cop. If he was then he needs to be pulled from the streets. To almost kill a biker over a minor traffic violation is simply BS. I agree with the "call his boss" idea. I probably would have called his bluff and if he wasnt a cop, well I would have called the police and had him arrested on the charges of "impersonating an officer" When he introduced himself to you as a law enforcement officer he committed a crime if he was not who he said he was. Either way man thats BS and glad you are ok BTW.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
Holy shit I laughed REALLY hard out loud at that one. What a DOUCHE.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
If he wasn't a cop why did he have a PA...

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Spike said:
If he wasn't a cop why did he have a PA...
My friend as a PA in his car. The kid is a nut job and yells stuff at random people with it. He's gotten in trouble a couple times but he still plays around with it. And it has a cool siren.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did, however, overhear another officer at a gas station early this morning talking about a trooper getting in an accident last night.

·
Registered
278 Posts
snigg said:
so whats the problem? next time someone tries to block you, take off their side mirror
My g/f and I did that at the beach on May 24....brand new 740i and the kid wasnt paying attention and just completely cut us off....hard

I got the mirror and she kicked in the passenger side door..... :urowned

All my buddies and us saw his car later on duing the day with no mirror and a nike shox tread mark on the side....we laughed for hours

:eek:nfloor

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
This is usually the point where I say FTP!!! But I've realized that there are still some good ones out there that arent not out to try to flex their muscles and be an ass all the time. They dont like to get labled just as we dont like theres no way in hell I would stop for an off duty police officer. They're lucky if I stop for a black and white. I guess that kinda contradicts what I was saying about us being wreckless idiots huh? :banana This pig got what he deserved.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but a friend just told me last week that lane-splitting si now legal in Texas. I live about 20mi from the Tex-La border, so this got me interested. Of course, any riding I'd do in Texas would be pleasure riding, not commuting.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Pig had it coming. I don't understand why lane splitting is illegal? I have ridden in Europe where it is perfectly ok, hell most cars move over and let you through. On some roads there is a special 1/4 lane between the left and center lanes perfect for a bike. It is not like you are causing them to wait longer, you are using a part of the road that is unusable by anyone else. It should be considered a benefit of having only two wheels. Cars get A/C and radios, we get there quicker.

Joe

1 - 20 of 67 Posts