Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Valiant Poultry
Joined
·
15,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today Lance Armstrong won his 6th straight Tour de France.

That's amazing. The guy, in my mind, is the best athlete in the world in his respective sport. Nobody is as dominant of a player in their game than Lance is in his.

At this point, it's unknown whether he's gonna come back next year and go for seven straight. I've read reports that he still says he's "not sure," but I've also seen published reports by Tour de France directors that say they are already aware of his plans, and those plans involve skipping the 2005 Tour.

He said that going for six was his way of paying tribute to everyone that has won 5 straight...so maybe he won't be there next year...maybe he feels as if he's accomplished all that he needs to in the Tour de France...

Either way, he's an amazing man regardless...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Lance is amazing in the Tour de France but look who he was up against....a fat Ulrich. Lance does great in the tour because that's all he does. The Tour is well know in the US, that's why his sposors let him blow of most of the season except the tour. The european riders don't have the luxury of just racing the tour. They race dozens of races before the tour to include the Giro 'd Italia.

I believe Greg Lemond is stil the greatest american cyclist. He raced against people that can or did win the tour...Hinault, Fignon, Delgado, Roche, Indurain. Lance has Ulrich. Lemond won the tour basically by himself in 89. Lance has a powerful team to pull him to victory.

Good on Armstrong for setting the record but look who he is racing against.

These are just observation and opinions from an ex-bike racer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
ohsurfrider said:
...blah blah blah....
Hater! :) Lol

Man... Don't take from Lance anything. Yeah... there were other greats, and they may have been able to do the same Lance has done if they had his team and sponsers, but he's accomplished an incredible thing. Give props to the team, give props to Lance, and be Happy that an American is on top.

What happend to rooting for the home team??

Yeah, Lemond was a great rider too, but don't call Ulrich fat. Lance just dominated any compitition. Anyone who can outride Lance, I'm sure they'd be able to find a way to compete against the man. As it stands, no one could stop him from winning a sixth. I hope Lance goes for seven.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,267 Posts
ohsurfrider said:
Lance has a powerful team to pull him to victory.

Good on Armstrong for setting the record but look who he is racing against.

These are just observation and opinions from an ex-bike racer.

ya the best the world has to offer, and pulled him to victory? hummm last I checked bicycles were powered by legs and lungs........ :dunno
 

·
Official SBN Party Pooper
Joined
·
20,262 Posts
Lance isn't a man...he's a freaking machine. Dang french spitting on him and cussing at him and all. :boid
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Krazy Hawaiian said:
ya the best the world has to offer, and pulled him to victory? hummm last I checked bicycles were powered by legs and lungs........ :dunno
Yes, "Pulled". Drafting saves lots of energy. Therefore, the leader will be less tired at the end of the stage and have a better chance of winning. The "domestiques" did a great job of taking care of Armstrong. No other team can match them.

I'm all for the home team, hell I went to war for the home team. I'm glad that an american on the tour. I was just saying that I believe that compared to the greats of cycling, Armstrong still has to prove himeself in races other than the tour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Yeah the French also went through his room and accused him of steroid abuse after their embarrasing defeat...real sportsmanlike.

-Just goes to show that Lance sans testicles still has more balls than a Frenchman. F!$# the French.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
To hell with the French... thankless pigs.
 

·
what R you lookin' at?
Joined
·
5,313 Posts
ohsurfrider said:
Lance is amazing in the Tour de France but look who he was up against....a fat Ulrich. Lance does great in the tour because that's all he does. The Tour is well know in the US, that's why his sposors let him blow of most of the season except the tour. The european riders don't have the luxury of just racing the tour. They race dozens of races before the tour to include the Giro 'd Italia.

I believe Greg Lemond is stil the greatest american cyclist. He raced against people that can or did win the tour...Hinault, Fignon, Delgado, Roche, Indurain. Lance has Ulrich. Lemond won the tour basically by himself in 89. Lance has a powerful team to pull him to victory.

Good on Armstrong for setting the record but look who he is racing against.

These are just observation and opinions from an ex-bike racer.
team tactics have been in the tour almost since the inception of the race......and teams........

i think it's pretty shady that lemond was accusing lance of "doping"........

lemond is a great rider, lance is a great rider. mercyx was a great rider. they all have a moment in time.

ex-bike racer also. now dumb fat and happy.

stay safe.
 

·
Light it up! Light it up!
Joined
·
1,459 Posts
I didn't see one stage of the race. usually i can catch a 'recap' like on the weekends when they condense about a weeks worth of stages, but i didn't see anything at all this year. from what i've heard Lance isn't going to go for a seventh, i can't remember where i read or heard that tho.

yeah...to hell with those Frenchies if that's true about the spitting and the ransacking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
ohsurfrider said:
Armstrong still has to prove himeself in races other than the tour.
I actually heard he's trying to set a record for most miles in an hour. It's some race with stipulations of course, but I'm guessing anyone could try it. If he get's that record, and no one contests it, will you think he's the man??

I'm not harping on you, I'm just trying to get you to jump on the bandwagon.:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
394 Posts
The man is a machine... the French are just jealous and tired of the AMERICANS kickin' their ass!!
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top