Sport Bikes banner

Lan

454 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Süsser Tod 
#1 ·
Whats the best way to set up a LAN? I have 3 computers already on my router but I dont have them connected. I have my custom PC, my roomates windows 8 laptop and my macbook.

whats the advantage of one type of network over another, do I even want to try a VPN?

What I basically need is a way to stay on my current network with internet and have a drop box so I can swap files from my Macbook to my PC. I have my file sharing and public folder turned on for my macbook and my PC but I am not getting them to connect just yet. Need some help.

#2 ·
If your three computers connect to the same internet router, you already have a LAN. LAN stands for Local Area Network, so all three computers connected to the same router, in the same house, that's a LAN.

I think what you're trying to do is file sharing, you should look into something like this:

How To Easily Share Files Between Mac & Windows Computers

A VPN, in the context you're thinking about, is used to connect to a different network through a public network (the internet is the public network). For example, I can be at a Starbucks and connect to my home LAN using a VPN and then access the files on my file server (a linux computer). I could also use the VPN to make a secure connection, as the WiFi hot spots do not use encryption, so I connect to the WiFi hotspot and then VPN to my home LAN, then the traffic gets encrypted (and secured). But I think none of the previous scenarios are related to what you want.

Also, to share files between your computers there is no need for dropbox, you're adding a middle step that is not needed. Look into that file sharing, once you've setup the file sharing you will be able to access the files on your PC or Mac from any device connected to your house WiFi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.