Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
what happend to an officer having to be present to write the cititation unless it was dui or a wreck

·
John 18:33-37
4,016 Posts
I'm pretty sure that it's not a moving violation since they can't prove who was driving. It's a fine for the owner of the vehicle.

Lakeland City Council must have read the book called 'How to Make Money and Fleece the Town's Drivers'.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I read the article and it says they are charging it as city code violations. The cameras are not state sanctioned, so they cannot apply points to your license. I think its bs that they dont have to prove who was driving....makes you not want to loan your car to a buddy!

·
WTF, OVER ?
1,429 Posts
as many people as i see RUNNING red lights...
they need to do something, I don't want to get t-boned for pulling across a green light intersection legally cause some ass tard is late for a coffee date and has a cell phone to the ear.

why frown on a red light camera??...

·
Registered
309 Posts
They wouldn't bother so much but it seems to me that lights in Lakeland are timed very poorly. I have found myself in intersections while the light was red when I truly had no intention of running the light. Is it just me? It has happened a few times.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
why frown on a red light camera??...
because you'll get nailed for LEGAL turn on reds.and some yellows are too quick,and you can't SAFELY stop with out possibly still being in an intersection when it goes red,due to asshat tailgaters,with they heads up they asses...

·
Registered
427 Posts
i can see where it is a good idea....there have been plenty of times that my light has turnd green and i still have to look both ways b4 going cuz ppl run the light like 10 seconds after it turns red.

i can also see the other side of it....i have ran a light plenty of times to avoid someone rearending me. or just cause it wouldn't be a safe thing for me to slam on breaks and stop in the middle of the intersection.

over all i think it will do more good than harm, for those of us who obey the traffic laws.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
The only thing I don't like is that the ticket is sent to the owner... not the driver.

So, if someone else is driving your car, you still get the ticket.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts

Please read the article before making an uninformed statement :)
you beleive that? that would be the first municipality i've seen that sticks to that. try it out,i dare you,lol... they'll send you a single frame photo of you in the intersection while the light is red. and you won't win in court,unless you have a vid.,cause proof is in the pic. ask me how i know.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Commuting in rush hour daily, that intersection at 98 and Edgewood is really bad. At least 8 cars keep turning left off Edgewood after the red light changes.

I noticed the yellow lights are getting really short though. Revenue builders?? :twofinger

·
Registered
565 Posts
I believe that the whole deal with them sending a ticket to the owner of the car is going to be disputable. I don't think there's anyway for them to make that one stick. If you can prove it wasn't you, they're going to have to lay the violation off. Now, whether or not they make you tell them who was driving the car, that's another story. You cannot legally be charged with a crime or violation that you did not commit. If my brother borrowed my car with a valid drivers license and drove over to someones house and murdered them, am I going to get charged with murder? No friggin way.

·
It's Kevopalooza time!
1,011 Posts
Commuting in rush hour daily, that intersection at 98 and Edgewood is really bad. At least 8 cars keep turning left off Edgewood after the red light changes.

I noticed the yellow lights are getting really short though. Revenue builders?? :twofinger
Your not kidding. Now I take the parkway, most times I don't even take 98 on my lunch break if I have the bike.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Thats still cheaper than if you were to get pulled over....the running a red light citation price is now $186.50
316.074(1),316.075(1) (c) (1) $204.00

·
Registered
246 Posts
This really sadens me reading this. The next thing you guys will have is the unmanned speed camera's.

Its one of the few places in the world Ive really enjoyed driving, the USA. Even looked at taking my driving license over there. Swatted up on your highway code etc.

Its just the start of the money making gravy train that we have in the uk. The big problem is a camera doesnt see the circumstances of an infringement, where as a police officer, can at least be explained to, and use his own judgement as to what you have said.

The one thing I would say be really carefull of as these cameras become more comon place is your 18 wheelers. You can be on top of a set of lights when they change, and then youve got to try and keep a rig and trailer straight whilst effectively emergency braking. Where does the load on the flat bed trailer end up? or the trailer locks and starts to go sideways....

Take care people... I know, I drive the equivelent of an 18 wheeler in the uk. There are times when its safer to proceed through rather than risking an accident through emergency braking. Ive seen car transporters loose a car off the top deck because of the harsh braking and its broke the straps holding the cars on.

·
Skerd To Ride
470 Posts
I don't what all the fuss is all about, its a good idea, it keeps people from running red lights and possibly causing and accident. To many times I have seen people on the phone and not pay attention to the light. Maybe if they know the camera's are up maybe they will pay more attention to driving and less talking on the phone.

I know some would say this is a prime example big brother, conspiracy theory, and all that noise..but c'mon, this helps all especially the bikes.

·
It's Kevopalooza time!
1,011 Posts
I guess i'd rather be rear-ended than T-boned....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts