Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was leaving a stop sign hit something soft and the back walked out, started to wobble I let go to keep from hitting a light pole. Bike slid down the pavement :mad:

My poor bike well looks like i'm ebaying for some fairings. I think black n yellow will go good.

Attachments

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Look at this as an oppurtunity to use those rashed up fairings at the track without worrying about hurting them. So get the new fairings for the street, and save those for a trackday. Also, invest in some frame sliders, modifying the fairing is easy as hell, takes like 5 minutes and a hole saw. I think the sliders would have made for significantly less cosmetic damage in this occasion.

·
#1 Gear Nazi
4,748 Posts
Also, I don't wanna pour salt in your wounds, but you probably shouldn't have let go of the bike. I know you are a new rider, and I think with a little more experience you could have come out of it without laying it down or hitting the pole. But I wasn't there, I don't know the full story. Just consider this an expensive lesson and try to learn from your accident so if something happens again, you might know what to do next time.

·
Registered
82 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Also, I don't wanna pour salt in your wounds, but you probably shouldn't have let go of the bike. I know you are a new rider, and I think with a little more experience you could have come out of it without laying it down or hitting the pole. But I wasn't there, I don't know the full story. Just consider this an expensive lesson and try to learn from your accident so if something happens again, you might know what to do next time.
Anyone else want to ask why we say to start small? Poor bike...

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tiepilot1138 said:
Anyone else want to ask why we say to start small? Poor bike...

It had nothing to do with the size of the bike. The back came out and threw the front into a twist. I was doing like 5mph max and would have been the same with a 250 as it would a 600. I've been riding for almost 4 months now, i would have been seriously disappointed in a 250 ninja. I'd rather start on a bike the size i want to ride and learn that then start small and have to learn again.

I know for a fact it couldn't have been saved, i went back to examine what I hit and talked to my brother who watched it. He said I hit the gravel and the back tire laid side ways then when it caught it launched the opposite way causeing the bike to flip. which is when I let go.

If someone thinks they could have saved it there more then welcome to repeat it and try them selves.

·
Registered
178 Posts
firefighter81 said:
Also, I don't wanna pour salt in your wounds, but you probably shouldn't have let go of the bike.
Read this sometimes letting go can be the right answer. If you are not sure you should er on saving you own as not the bikes fairings. I'm not tryng to argue. I just think that you can always buy more parts.

Motorcycle hurtles into store; man dies

Police say neither drugs nor alcohol were involved in the 26-year-old's crash

Friday, August 06, 2004
PATRICK HARRINGTON

SHERWOOD -- A 26-year-old man died late Wednesday after crashing his motorcycle through the front glass of a Circle K store.

The crash probably was caused by the driver's inexperience, and neither alcohol nor drugs played a role, said Detective Sgt. Dwight Onchi, a Sherwood police spokesman. The driver, Bradley J. Guthrie of Tigard, bought the motorcycle three weeks before the accident, Onchi said.

Witnesses said that when the Honda crashed into the building at 15900 S.W. Tualatin-Sherwood Road about 10 p.m., it sounded as though the engine was at full throttle. They estimated the motorcycle was going as fast as 50 mph.

When the motorcycle hit the store, Onchi said, it hurled glass shards through the store with such force that they shattered glass refrigerator doors across the room.

Guthrie remained on the motorcycle as it hurtled through the store and drove him into a wall, Onchi said. "It pretty much demolished everything in its path." Guthrie was pronounced dead at the scene.

The crash occurred after Guthrie and another man on a motorcycle drove from a commercial complex across the street from the store and attempted to turn left onto Tualatin-Sherwood Road, Onchi said. They had just finished eating at KFC, he said.

Guthrie missed the turn and rode through an area under construction, then over a ditch. "The motorcycle jumped that ditch and popped back onto the asphalt," Onchi said. "Why he didn't fall there is beyond us."

The ditch is 4 or 5 feet deep and as wide as 19 feet, Onchi said. "He actually accelerated over it."

People were shopping in the store at the time of the crash, Onchi said. "Fortunately no one was struck by glass shards."

A spokesman for Circle K in Houston did not return a phone message Thursday.

Patrick Harrington: 503-294-5968; [email protected]

http://www.oregonlive.com/metrosout...17935507660.xml

·
El A MC Rider
336 Posts
When you put it back together, don't forget to install a set of frame and swingarm sliders. Could have saved your fairings if you had 'em installed prior.

·
Registered
522 Posts
that sucks, but it's only cosmetic. you'll get it fixed quick.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
glad your ok Steve.... the bike is fixable...

oh and WHY didn't you have your gear on?!?!! hmmmmmm?? It was a beautiful 74* today, so you can't use the excuse that it was "too hot", or to humid, since that was also at a whopping 47%...(strange Ky weather this week)

Plastic is cheaper then skin graphs........

·
Registered
10,767 Posts
at least you are alright, get some framesliders like the others have said it could only help.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Not to bad at least. You can also experiment different coloures on now on your bike. Your WOUNDS will heal, your bike will be fixed.

BUT this MITE (notice that I wrote "mite" as I wasn't there and I didn't ride over it) not have happened with a smaller bike. Somehow does show that you still have samething to learn.

I allways say "the smaller you start, the biger you can go later".

...only +ve feedback to my post :D I'm not blaming anybody and I'm not trying to be an ass.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
um, yeah, we told ya so..........

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
evils-03-RR said:
If someone thinks they could have saved it there more then welcome to repeat it and try them selves.

OK

It's time for a lesson(s)

#1-you don't know what some of us know so don't get all cocky.Some of us have been riding bikes longer than you've been alive.

#2-The proper time to chop the throttle.

(a)When you making a right or left hand from one street to another,one is most often doing so at a slow rate of speed.

(b)When making this turn and you feel the back start slip because of something on the road then this is the precise moment that you should chop the throttle.

(c)By doing so you will stop the spinning and the bike will right itself by standing up.

(d)I don't want to here it,,,,,,,,,,It would have saved you.

(e)I've been there and done that a few times.

One more thing,that stuff will buff right out.You on the other hand should have had your gear on.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Oh and racerX if you choose to be a complete ass, choose it another thread, your post is pointless and basically says "Hey I'm an ass so fuck off" You've never said a thing to me about what I ride. I never read a single thread on hey you should start on this. I said hey I want that and I dont care what it takes to learn how to ride it I'll do it. Thats what I did. I've had a bad enough day with out you coming in and smarting off. Seems like thats what you do in almost everyone of your posts is ridicule people, OK Mr. Perfect never made a mistake how bout you lay the fuck off.

Ok full explanantion for everyone. MY TIRE WAS BALD, I was going to have it replaced, then it spun the bike slid sideways, the side of the tire had great tread and caught threw the bike. I'm not saying it wasn't avoidable "IE replaced the tire last week" As for gear, My gear consists of Jeans a shirt and a helmet. i dont a jacket I have great medical coverage, I'm getting a jacket now that I have felt the wrath of asphalt I learned a lesson yes. But guess what, I stood it right back up got right back on and still gonna ride it. I'm not downgrading to a smaller bike because I got thrown off this one. I'd be extremely disappointed not only that it'd probably cause me to stop riding.

Oh and it's hard to buff something out when it's down to the molding. My fairings are molded in black and painted, not even the worlds best painter and buff black back to pearl yellow.

Expect me to retaliate against criticism, cause I was there and 100% sure had anyone else been there would agree that it couldn't have been recovered. Plastics are already ordered and going to a paint shop tomorrow to check on the fairing to see if it can be fixed.

Thanks for everyones concern, but i'm happy with choosing my RR as a first bike, wouldn't change for anything accept maybe and R6.

·
Registered
731 Posts
*repeating my last post* :D

ya, ok....
I know that it can get you preaty p*ssed off when one crashes.
But still, what you are saying "nobody could have made it out" is just a bit..... well whatever, I aggree fully with our crash kid :D

h.a.n.d.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
What the hell does good insurance have to do with not wearing gear.

That's like saying StateFarm is going to protect you from everything.

Get over yourself dude.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts