Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i was just posting about a month ago about buying my first bike. and now im posting cause ive laid it down. went on first long ride today with some coworkers. had a couple of mishaps with my rear brake, stepping on it way to hard, and not using the front enough. but after having the rear end slide around on me at low speed coming to stop had me worried. then making a left turn at like 10mph or so. while i was breaking to get to tthe turn i suddenly had that feeling of the rear of the bike sliding. so i do what any "pro" would do.. i stand it up and ride right off the rode at about 5mph. and proceed to lay the bike down and jump right off it and went for a little roll in the grass. there is one scratch one the left upper fairing where the turn signal pressed against the bike, and the shifter is bent a little. bike now has 630 miles on it. relatively undamaged except for a bit of mental scarring.

·
Registered
809 Posts
geist said:
well i was just posting about a month ago about buying my first bike. and now im posting cause ive laid it down. went on first long ride today with some coworkers. had a couple of mishaps with my rear brake, stepping on it way to hard, and not using the front enough. but after having the rear end slide around on me at low speed coming to stop had me worried. then making a left turn at like 10mph or so. while i was breaking to get to tthe turn i suddenly had that feeling of the rear of the bike sliding. so i do what any "pro" would do.. i stand it up and ride right off the rode at about 5mph. and proceed to lay the bike down and jump right off it and went for a little roll in the grass. there is one scratch one the left upper fairing where the turn signal pressed against the bike, and the shifter is bent a little. bike now has 630 miles on it. relatively undamaged except for a bit of mental scarring.
somehow I doubt the rear sliding at 10mph would make that happen...
even with the rear locked up, that bike will decelerate 10-0 in a VERY short time.

·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
sounds like you need to go to a parking lot and practice braking in general.

and lay off the rear some, the ft is the primary brake.

·
KH, Rest In Peace Brother
20,852 Posts
Bikes are 70% front braking and 30% rear

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
OK...Now maybe YOU understand why many of us tell you to buy used and not a SS bike like R1 RR F4i etc... Now when you see a noob post on here about how they can handle a brand new GSXR 1K as their first bike, at least YOU will know better...glad you're not hurt...just keep riding...

·
Registered
426 Posts
yeah i'm sure he knowns that. I've had this same problem to. Was still thinking of being in a car and feet being used to break. It's got me in trouble when some people have pulled out in front of me. Though I managed to keep the bike up even with the back end locked up or comming out. diffently a trip:-D

Start using just the front break for a while. That should help break that bad habbit really fast.:)

bee i could have had the same thing happen on my 250.... Only reason it didn't was because I was extreamly lucky.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
seppuku said:
bee i could have had the same thing happen on my 250.... Only reason it didn't was because I was extreamly lucky.

Then you need more parking lot time working on your fundamentals...

·
Registered
418 Posts
A good rider once told me that it's not IF but WHEN.....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well after my mishaps..i pretty much stopped using the rear brake and it was good...cause i got a much better feel for just how much the front was doing. its better this happeend now...cause in a real emergency braking situation i woulda totally screwed up. just by nature of driving im using to use to stomping with my foot so even though i was pressing both brakes at same time...i was stepping much harder than i was squeezing with my hand. all the warnings of grabbing too much front brake had me real tenative about squeezing it. all along i wasnt really using them much at all. well live and learn. have lots more practice to do...wont be go on anymore "rides" like this one for a while

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
seppuku said:
Start using just the front break for a while. That should help break that bad habbit really fast.:)
<office_space voice='lumberg'>
Not sure if I'm going to go ahead and agree with you there... yeah...

How about you start using both brakes, okay?
</office_space>

:lol

Seriously, you want to use both brakes for optimum stopping distance. Try experimenting in an abandoned parking lot using just the front brake. Then just the rear, next use both. There will be a noticeable difference in distances.

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
bumblebee said:
OK...Now maybe YOU understand why many of us tell you to buy used and not a SS bike like R1 RR F4i etc... Now when you see a noob post on here about how they can handle a brand new GSXR 1K as their first bike, at least YOU will know better...glad you're not hurt...just keep riding...
I know you were just itching to say that!

Could've perhaps happened with any machine. Too bad it's a brand new SV. I'd be so pissed, I wouldn't ride it until the replacement parts were installed on her, but that's just me.

·
Registered
426 Posts
mikem317 said:
<office_space voice='lumberg'>
Not sure if I'm going to go ahead and agree with you there... yeah...

How about you start using both brakes, okay?
</office_space>

:lol

Seriously, you want to use both brakes for optimum stopping distance. Try experimenting in an abandoned parking lot using just the front brake. Then just the rear, next use both. There will be a noticeable difference in distances.
I do... Though when someone in a car pulls out in front of you 20 feet away sometimes using 70% 30% goes right out the window. Then tires get locked up.
Of course those had happened in a time where I didn't have much miles on the bike. Everyone has to start somewhere. :rolleyes

Though it may be harder to do what that guy did on a 250 I bet it would be easier to slip the back end out. The stock tires and supsension suck hardcore on a 250. So you got other problems to deal with.

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
seppuku said:
Also the fact that the 250 is a VERY forgiving bike. It has saved my arse on several occasions when a b***** bike wouldn't have.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i didnt the the the sv was a supersport? i thought ss referred to bikes like the r6, cbr so on so forth. either way it wasnt the power that got me into trouble just a lack of prepration on learning what the brakes can do on my part. im not to worried about the bike. the scratch is small. what worries me more is will i get a feel for this before i turn and run with my tail between my legs. i hope my bike doesnt end up being one of the low mileage bikes for sale you see all the time. my ultimate goal was to become competent enough to make it to a track day but that the rate im going that will take a very long time.

i just went outside to mess around in the parking lot and i cant get a feel for whether or not its taking me too far to stop. it hink it is. ig ot th e bike up to like 30 or 40 and then id start braking. and it seems like it takes forever to stop . and i just practiced more slow turns.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Chinygyal said:
Also the fact that the 250 is a VERY forgiving bike. It has saved my arse on several occasions when a b***** bike wouldn't have.
+1 yeah that's diffently one thing I love about the 250. I might put some different tires on it and upgrade the rear suspension. Prehaps that will solve the rear sliping out all the time.

·
Registered
436 Posts
+1

If you didn't take it yet stop riding and go take it. They actuall make you do a rear wheel lock up drill. Certain situations can't be avoided, but that's where experience steps in and you seperate your braking from steering.
Good to hear there wasnt to much damage.
Good Luck

·
Registered
102 Posts
geist said:
i didnt the the the sv was a supersport? i thought ss referred to bikes like the r6, cbr so on so forth. either way it wasnt the power that got me into trouble just a lack of prepration on learning what the brakes can do on my part. im not to worried about the bike. the scratch is small. what worries me more is will i get a feel for this before i turn and run with my tail between my legs. i hope my bike doesnt end up being one of the low mileage bikes for sale you see all the time. my ultimate goal was to become competent enough to make it to a track day but that the rate im going that will take a very long time.

i just went outside to mess around in the parking lot and i cant get a feel for whether or not its taking me too far to stop. it hink it is. ig ot th e bike up to like 30 or 40 and then id start braking. and it seems like it takes forever to stop . and i just practiced more slow turns.
Sorry 'bout the little mishap, but at least it didn't happen at a higher speed. And, dude, don't get freaked out by it. Use the anxiety to fuel your ambition to control your bike to 100% of your ability. Like everyone said, just practice, and then practice, and then maybe practice some more. If you were like me, when you got your first car you were a bit nervous, too. There's a little more on the line with a bike, but you need to push that out of your mind and focus on becoming a better rider. My first couple rides I took it out in the country on open roads and stomped the brakes a few times to get the feel for it. I'm not a great rider by any means, but I know with more practice I can get the bike to stop on a dime from 70mph.

I don't know if this will help any, but you could adjust your rear brake lever so it's engaging a little later. Lower it a little so if you accidently slam it, you'll have more time to realize what your doing and correct it. If you do, you may have to adjust your brake light tr*****, too.

Now get on your bike and RIDE!....just do it in a vacant area for a while :cheers

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yea i took the msf. i appreciate all the advice. i guess i will spend a lot more time in the parking lot practicing.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
They should've taught you that at the MSF course. Or maybe you didn't pay attention? At least it wasn't a bad spill. Learn from it, you'll only get better.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts