Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been wondering if KTM will update their liter supersport and I've been coming up empty handed googling it. I love the colors, looks, and especially the features and reviews of the RC8 but it's hard for me to pass on a GSXR, R1, or even CBR1000RR (price wise) for an RC8. I downgraded to a turd kawk 650r that I never meant to keep long and I'm ready to ditch.

Today I got the new issue of Motorcyclist magazine and we all know by now that they are nothing more than oracles for the manufacturers (rather than objective critics). Right there on the over is the new KTM Adventure, and in the first paragraph it mentions that it's tehre to challenge the Multistrada. Does that mean we can see some austrian orange challenger to the italian red 1199? I can wait a year for one but not more!

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
WHS^^ Honda had to put massive money into catchup for the SP1/2 even then the road bikes weren't quiet on it.

Having said that unless you are talented enough for a WSBK ride the KTM may do everything you want it too on the road. Moto Morini are starting production again too.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KTM has not done much in big bore bikes, but their track record in the moto 3 class nullifies you assumptions:

motogp.com · Moto3 World Standing 2012

they dont have the $$$ to compete.
Here's the bike that made me wonder 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure | First Ride - Motorcyclist magazine

It seems they're gearing up to tackle Ducati and someone should (Ducati sales volume should motivate). I think its a matter of time rather than if they will compete against the 1199.

And they might not have the technology to blow the 1199 away and its an excellent and honest point that I'm not at the WSBK level but for the $10k< price range that most 600's are going for, I'd rather have a liter and something not going to be "old style" after a year of ownership.

·
Live to ride
12,017 Posts
With their success in the MX, I wouldnt be surprised for KTM to start feeding $$$ to their street program, but it was a long process to get the RC8, I knew about the bike back in 2006, and it didnt hit show room floors till 2008, but then again, KTM is very proud of their products and anything less then perfection is unacceptable.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
KTM has not done much in big bore bikes, but their track record in the moto 3 class nullifies you assumptions:

motogp.com · Moto3 World Standing 2012

they dont have the $$$ to compete.
+1

KTM was the first team to put KERS (i.e. hybrid) technology on a motorcycle. They did it in 2009 in the 125GP class, even before the F1 cars started using it.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Money can be a motivator for good! How did Ducati do while the jap four suffered in recent years..
Im really digging the rc8 even though I really need a sport tourer like the sprint from triumph.
Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Duc does not have nearly the overhead or product line of the big 3 and people who purchase their stuff usually have the means to be unaffected by a recession. I'd also like to mention that while a lot of people were/have been hurting A LOT of people have been doing quite well and buying toys.

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Duc does not have nearly the overhead or product line of the big 3 and people who purchase their stuff usually have the means to be unaffected by a recession. I'd also like to mention that while a lot of people were/have been hurting A LOT of people have been doing quite well and buying toys.
So whats your point? Or are you just cherry picking my words to create a new discussion? Ktm and ducati are in the same boat and that was mine.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I think that the RC8 does challenge the Panigale. Maybe not in fancy electronic gizmos, but as far as pure ride-ability goes I think it mops the floor with it. This may not be a super common motif throughout, but the TX guys are dropping Ducati like crazy. There are not many ducatis on the grid, especially winning it. And those that I know who were competitive, switched after 1-2 season on a duc to Suzuki or BMW. But from talking with Ty Howard about it, he loves the KTM. And seeing them work on it is a piece of art, it seems very easy to work on, fix up, adjust, etc. right at the track.

Reactions: PCHbreeze

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
While i am slightly interested in KTM challenging Ducati, i am much more interested in Triumph making a fully faired liter sportbike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts