Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Reported by AMA - KTM unveiled a strikingly angular concept superbike at the Tokyo Motorshow recently, and it's headed for the U. S. market sometime in 2005.

The new RC8 will follow the 990 Super Duke, as the third in the series of bikes utilizing the LC8 V-twin engine, said Scot Harden, vice president media relations, KTM North America, Inc. Harden said KTM's plan is to meet homologation issues in the U. S. market so that it may be raced here also.

"It's is fully intended to be a street bike foremost, though," said Harden.

In a press release from KTM, the Austria-based company said the RC8 concept bike underlines KTM's long-term vision for the road.

"Those who know KTM, know that only one thing counts with us," the release said. "We've symbolized uncompromising motor sports for over 50 years. And all that time KTM has fought on the front lines to win.

"For the RC8, we brought our riders to the design table as well as the best technicians and designers. Our aim: The ultimate weapon for ambitious street-fighters."

KTM claims a radical concentration of the bike's mass around the compact 75° V2 engine.

Some of the innovations listed in the release include a fuel tank in the seat, keeping fuel at the machine's centre of gravity; and a dry-sump lubrication system, which allows the entire exhaust system to sit directly under the engine where KTM claims it has the least influence on dynamics.

The fairing, according to KTM, is designed to produce the least possible crosswind drag, resulting in no crosswind oscillation, "spell-binding agility" and "aggressive steering ability."

KTM said their design approach is very simple: "An air duct is always—first and foremost—an air duct, first the function, then the beauty."

The powerful lines and extreme reduction to the basics characterize the LC8 as a "unique, wild and emotional motorcycle."

The price and the actual production date are not yet set, but Harden said they hope to have the bike in showrooms by sometime in 2005.

Technical Specification:

Engine: KTM LC8 engine
Displacement: 999.8cc
Frame: Tubular chromoly space frame
Dry weight: approx. 175 kg (385 pounds)
Transmission 6 gears, dog-clutch engagement
Top speed: 280 km/h (173 mph)

·
Registered
569 Posts
Yeah, KTM can build some pretty bad-ass machines. Sucks that they're so expensive. :(

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I would ike to see the price on the RC8. If it is competive with the big 4 I might look into that as my twin.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does any one know where there is a KTM dealer around Pa Ohio?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I think the those are two of the best looking bikes I have ever seen. Their's an article about the naked KTM 990 Duke in the December '03 issue of Cycle World (pg. 44-48 for those interested). Yes, I have no life and looked it up.

·
part of the problem
487 Posts
dennisred69 said:
Reported by AMA - KTM unveiled a strikingly angular concept superbike at the Tokyo Motorshow recently, and it's headed for the U.S. market sometime in 2005...The price and the actual production date are not yet set, but Harden said they hope to have the bike in showrooms by sometime in 2005.
Does anyone know if the RC8 is still scheduled for release in 2005? I haven't seen any recent articles.

·
Registered
238 Posts
3l1t3 said:
Does anyone know if the RC8 is still scheduled for release in 2005? I haven't seen any recent articles.
It is supposed to be.

·
Registered
681 Posts
This is old news.......

BTW, nothing innovative about the underseat fuel tank. My Bud's '99 Laverda has it there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts