Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
woot my ass...they'll be way too expensive, per UK pricing as an indicator. the 690 is a bit high too.
The cbr 500 is 6800 with abs. I'd take the rc390 any day for the same price. Altho I'm probably going to get a grom for less than half that

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
I'd love to have one for track use. I wonder how closely related to their Moto3 bike this is.

That said, I think the price will be too high for US customers who don't have to buy a small displacement bike first.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
I will definitely be buying one if I can afford it. Meaning, if it has a production run longer than 3 years, I'll probably be buying one in 3 years.

·
After Me Lucky Charms
5,281 Posts
2015 KTM RC390 First Ride - Motorcycle USA

^^ Has video.

From the looks of the pictures, it's not that track oriented. The guy drags the rearsets in the video, and is almost dragging the lower fairing in one picture. I know it will be modded out the wazoo.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Yeah I read that. They said KTM already offers higher rear sets for track use though. I'd imagine you can buy all the parts to turn it into their race spec version at launch.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
Nope, not even remotely close to the moto 3 bike. These bikes are all related to the Duke 125 (the frame is very similar), KTM developed two new engines to be shoehorned into that frame, 200cc and 390. Even though it bears the 390 moniker it is actually 373cc.

Moto3:

14.jpg

RC390:

2014-ktm-rc390-white-02.jpg

Duke 390:

ktm-duke-390-release-announced-for-march-720p-3.jpg

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
That's the bike everyone on here was begging for, isn't it?
Exactly.

And while I will never own one, I'm happy to see another lower cc bike making headlines. And just like the Grom, I'm sure we'll be seeing these little KTM monsters at your local track in a very short time.

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
Exactly.

And while I will never own one, I'm happy to see another lower cc bike making headlines. And just like the Grom, I'm sure we'll be seeing these little KTM monsters at your local track in a very short time.
Great something else to get passed by with a 14 year old on it :tremble

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
So today I went for a spirited ride on my lunch. At one point I went from freeway speed limit to a bit faster than the speed limit...let's just say that I saw my liter bike accelerate very fast from 70 mph to triple digits :) felt good mang!

·
Super Moderator
18,634 Posts
So today I went for a spirited ride on my lunch. At one point I went from freeway speed limit to a bit faster than the speed limit...let's just say that I saw my liter bike accelerate very fast from 70 mph to triple digits :) felt good mang!
Good to hear. We should all be out riding more :cheers

But not everyone is concerned with straight line speed. Some will concentrate on it being an introduction bike to a newbie. Some will see it as a high MPG commuter. And others will be destroying liter bikes at the track with it.

No matter what, though. get out and ride :fiddy

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
I hear ya, and I'd love to have a Thruxton as a second bike or a 500 Ninja for a track beater, but cest la vie...and I'm not spending that kinda cash on a thumper. I like it, but not at that price.

Come to think of it, I REALLY wanted a RC8 and shopped for one for a few months...never could get one at a good price, even for a year old model. Guess KTM is German for Ducati :/

·
Turbo nerd.
13,732 Posts
I hear ya, and I'd love to have a Thruxton as a second bike or a 500 Ninja for a track beater, but cest la vie...and I'm not spending that kinda cash on a thumper. I like it, but not at that price.

Come to think of it, I REALLY wanted a RC8 and shopped for one for a few months...never could get one at a good price, even for a year old model. Guess KTM is German for Ducati :/
Better get one while you can, the model is going away and KTM will only be offering a the RC16 v4......with a 6 figure price tag.

Faster and Faster: End of the road for the RC8, KTM to launch V4-engined RC16 in 2016

·
Banned
7,613 Posts
Better get one while you can, the model is going away and KTM will only be offering a the RC16 v4......with a 6 figure price tag.

Faster and Faster: End of the road for the RC8, KTM to launch V4-engined RC16 in 2016
I gave up and bought the S1000RR when I was looking a few months ago. It makes more sense now, them acting like it was a limited edition bike I was hunting for. 6 figure track only bike...get the f outta here. I always feel better at the track and twisties when I have a bike I DONT have to worry about dropping.

we take responsibility as a manufacturer and say that any motorcycle that is beyond 200 horsepower has no place in public transport,' says Pierer.
Yeah, OK KTM. Just stick to dirt bikes then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts