Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buying New bike, KTM 990 SMR vs 1000 sport bike

So I am planning buying a newer bike and getting rid of my 08 GSXR 1000. A local dealer has a new 2011 KTM 990 SMR for a good price I've been looking at. I understand that my GSXR has more power and should be faster in a straight line. The question is how much slower is the KTM and does it make up for it in other ways as far as been as fun to ride? Also any ideas about other bikes I should look at would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Do they offer test rides?

Its a totally different Niche in comparison, I like super motos or motarded dirt bikes(very Light), but bikes like that Ktm and the Ducati (comperable), are different and not the same feel.

I'd really strive to test ride, before abandening the GXsr, and shelling out all da money on a guess.

Is the 990 a Bike that I'd want to ride down a ditch and go climb a big Gravel hill or something? Not really, seems more just a big Hooligan wheelie street bike, but thats just me.

But when you talk about being able to do more with it, its taking it to places you wouldnt normally take a street bike, which I refer back to light weight Motards or super motos.

Sorry Im not much help, but I'd press for that test ride.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I went from a :gsxr 750 to the duke 2. Not really in the same class as yours but still. I have a lot more fun on my duke because it's easier to throw around and act like a hooligan. It's also much more enjoyable for a short trip because you don't have to fight the thing at slow speeds.

If you do switch to a sm style bike you will have a bit harder time with wind buffer because you have an upright sitting position and no fairing.

I don't regret my decision to switch to a sm. There are time when I miss the top end my :gsxr had but I would deff take a sm over supersport any day.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I haven't ridden the SMR yet, however my father is quite the KTM fan...among his small collection he has a 990 Adventure and 990 SuperDuke. He also has a BMW S1000R, so I can compare these bikes with an inline four liter bike.

I'll put it like this: If you have a special interest in riding/racing an homologated class motorcycle like the 1000cc I-4, and/or you need to be riding a spec sheet, keep the GSXR.

If not, get rid of the GSXR. You'll have amazing amounts of additional fun. The 990 is an awesome engine, and the SMR seems like a great chassis. A really fun bike.

The SuperDuke is bloody crazy, Sequentialshift could tell you more. And the 990 Adventure is deceivingly fun. It looks like a gentleman's bike, but it begs you to ride it like a hooligan, too. I'm guessing the SMR must be kind of in between. Have you seen the version with the orange frame? My god what a beauty.

I'd also recommend looking into Triumph's Speed Triple and Ducati's Streetfighter, if you are looking for lots of fun on something different than the typical faired sportbike.

·
Registered
848 Posts
I went from a :gsxr 750 to the duke 2. Not really in the same class as yours but still. I have a lot more fun on my duke because it's easier to throw around and act like a hooligan. It's also much more enjoyable for a short trip because you don't have to fight the thing at slow speeds.
fight it at slow speeds? umm... ok. new one on me

·
Registered
743 Posts
I've never ridden one of the giant "supermoto" bikes (more like supermoto inspired), but their smaller brethren are a hoot. On b***** bikes I get that feeling of carefully guiding a large piece of machinery where an error can send you down an unavoidable path to ouch. Meanwhile a supermoto is more like playing around on your bicycle like you did when you were a kid. Next thing you know you're riding up stairs and playing in ditches. Its a different kind of fun.

The b***** bikes I suppose try to capture some of that while still having strong high speed acceleration. Never tried one of them to see just how much carries over. Would like to though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks for the responses but the people that ridden both types of bikes can you give more detailed examples in the difference. I was mainly wanting to know what would happen if both bike lined up for a street race. But I am also interested in how easy it is to wheelie, ride it, and general hooligan behavior like cutting in and out of packed traffic. I use my bike as a daily driver about for at least 30 miles a day but also do quite a bit of city riding and a little of the back road twisty but not to much. One of the thing I was worried about was the lost in 70hp and gain in 40lb going from the GSXR to the SMR.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
The gsxr will have the straight line proformance hands down. At least that was in my case. Your 0-60 time will be about the same.

The sm will have a ton more torque which will make the sm wheelie pretty much when you want.

Not sure about the 990 but my sm top speed is on like 125mph where at the gsxr 750 would hit 180ish (never hit top speed on the thing).

It's hard to compare the two. Why do people like riding cruisers over sport bikes. I comes down to a lot of personal preference.

At least IMO.

Sent from HTC Thunderbolt.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Even the 690 will have negligible differences 0-60 and mostly depend on rider skill. Of course once you start breaking the law the b***** bikes will run away. Generally speaking though, most people agree thats the only time they are more fun, when speeding horribly (or on a high speed track).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts