Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We all know about camshafts, and how they work. And some of the limitations presented by camshafts and traditional valve systems.
We all know some of the numerous ways automotive and motorcycle manufacturers have "worked around" the valvetrain.

Koenigsegg sees no reason to stick with em, however. In this day and age of electronic control, the camshaft might become a thing of the past.

much as I love mechanical, simple things, this was very cool to watch.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Way cool! This has a lot of potential.

·
Registered
6,884 Posts
I'm far from the most mechanically inclined mind here, but this seems awesome to have.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm more interested in the simplification of the manufacturing process.
if one actuator and electrical system will actually work for that range of applications, that'd drastically simplify the top end market for new engines.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
Imagine the whole new level of tuning that can be acheived! Not to mentioned less rotating/interconnected parts :)
The first thing I thought of was all of the parasitic drag you'd lose with this, freeing up HP.

And as far as tuning, you could program the tuning specifically for each gear. The application is almost limitless.

Reactions: Electrical_Tech

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
I'm more interested in the simplification of the manufacturing process.
if one actuator and electrical system will actually work for that range of applications, that'd drastically simplify the top end market for new engines.
Sure would save a bunch of machining. Then there is the reduced maintenance on the top-end, not to mention the lack of a timing belt to break.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the only downside is that any error or malfunction in the brains of the operation would cause catastrophic damage.
not that a valvetrain these days isn't complex as all hell to begin with.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hehehe.

you can bet every brand would have their own dedicated software for it.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't know that f1 cars already have no camshafts.
that said, an f1 engine is far and away a more fragile thing than even the engines shown here.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I always thought motoGP used a camshaft lobe to smack what amounted to an air piston to lift/lower the valve.

and I thought the big boon with this was that it was fully electronic (although the F1 stuff probably is too). meaning infinite amounts of VVT.

Reactions: jk750

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
i thought f1 cars already had this.
IIRC, they use variable ratio cams shafts. The cam is not flat, so a solenoid that slides the cam back and forth can produce different amounts of lift for the valves. I think the dwell is also adjusted. The cams are still there.
I wonder how they deal with injection timing. No point in doing this and keeping group (throttle body) fuel injection. I suppose the CPU will track both of them. That makes more sense then 2 CPU's sharing data. After all, my cell phone can multitask, even if I can't.:nono

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
IIRC, they use variable ratio cams shafts. The cam is not flat, so a solenoid that slides the cam back and forth can produce different amounts of lift for the valves. I think the dwell is also adjusted. The cams are still there.
I wonder how they deal with injection timing. No point in doing this and keeping group (throttle body) fuel injection. I suppose the CPU will track both of them. That makes more sense then 2 CPU's sharing data. After all, my cell phone can multitask, even if I can't.:nono
cars have not run throttle body injection in nearly 25 years.

it has been multiport since something like 1992. And direct injection is becoming more prevalent. And in some of those vehicles, each injector is adjusted on the flyfor fuel and timing delivery (see why GM's 6.6L duramax diesel runs incredibly smooth and quiet. it balances itself).

So what you want (individual fuel timing and delivery adjustment) is already possible and used.

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
In the vid, he was talking about regeneration of the air tank during decel, so I believe this setup is air controlled by electronics.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts