1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
yeah some people buy cameras as a fashion accessory not for actually buying them based on performance/image quality.

·
the joke is in your hand
8,594 Posts
Gopro has real competition now. My guess is theyll scramble to release their version. When you see them on sale everywhere you know its coming

·
Registered
602 Posts
Seems bulky but might just be the photos. More options are always better though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Does anyone know how that technically works ? I tried googling but didn't get anything. Pretty sweet didn't even realize 360* cameras were out, just cant figure how it gets a full 360 degrees of images with only a forward facing lens.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Does anyone know how that technically works ? I tried googling but didn't get anything. Pretty sweet didn't even realize 360* cameras were out, just cant figure how it gets a full 360 degrees of images with only a forward facing lens.
Just looks like an extremely wide-angle lens. But it doesn't see behind the camera, if that's what you're asking. From what they showed in the demo video, if you wanted to get footage of a full circle around you, you'd point the lens straight up. I guess the resulting raw footage would be a circular image, which you'd then muck with in their editing software to get the 16:9 output you wanted.

Seems like a cool idea, but at the cost of additional work to be done during the video editing phase.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just looks like an extremely wide-angle lens. But it doesn't see behind the camera, if that's what you're asking. From what they showed in the demo video, if you wanted to get footage of a full circle around you, you'd point the lens straight up. I guess the resulting raw footage would be a circular image, which you'd then muck with in their editing software to get the 16:9 output you wanted.

Seems like a cool idea, but at the cost of additional work to be done during the video editing phase.

Yea thats what I was trying to figure it out so its more like a full 180* right.

·
Pit Bike Legend
3,339 Posts
Looks like half a sphere to me, so 360* around the "equator" but only the northern hemisphere so to speak.

Honestly I doubt this is gonna put a dent in GoPro sales. There are a ton of competitors out there already, and some that have more features at a better price, yet they haven't done much to the market. This one is neat, but I honestly dont see much use for the "360" feature, so I doubt many will choose it over the GoPro.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It has motion sensing, which I think is very cool. Polaroid (another company with one foot in the grave) also has a cube shaped action camera.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts