Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently within the past week, the ninja started getting a knocking/tapping in the engine. sometimes its loud, sometimes its weak, sometimes it just goes away after a while. my dad said its just a lifter thats getting left open and needs to be pumped back up, but i read somewhere that they dont have hydraulic lifters :confused:

anyone ever have a problem with 600R's and a tapping like that?

when its there, i hear it at idle, when i rev up it increases with the rpms, when it decellerates, it slows with the rpm's

performance doesnt seem to be negotiated....revs just as hard and smoothly...then again, i dont know for SURE if its really pulling like it should since i havent really got WOT or anything fast yet, but at normal rpms (with probably 3/4 throttle at MOST ive done) it runs like normal

the tapping/knocking is more of a nuisance and annoying...ive been using 93 octane, i put some engine cleaner into the gas, and im gunna clean the carbs out soon, but its still there

btw, its a '94 600R (zx6c7)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ok, so today it was there the whole time for bout 20 miles...never went away...however never compromised performance as i said. tomorrows probly my last time giving it a ride on it cuz im leavin to orlando...ive been told and did some research that its probably in need of adjusting my valve

i just need to also add, that the one cylinder thats knocking has carbon fouling on the spark plug

no one has been able to say exactly what it is, but alot of people who know engines are dead set that its either in need of adjusting the valve or cleaning it out and at worse id need to bring it in to get the bearings changed

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks, but i found out on kawiforums that its a very typical problem for that tapping/clanking noice and its the automatic cam chain tensioner thats going...supposedly its common for all jap bikes, especially kawasakis...even if the bike is a year old it happens

people fix it by getting an APE manual cam chain tensioner that takes little time to install and supposedly even novice mechanics can adjust it properly- basically just tighten till you hear the clanking go away or loosen if it turns into a whine

·
Banned
912 Posts
Got a 2004 it does the same thing. And yes it pisses me off some times but it is normal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well when i was in orlando moving into my appartment for college (and then coming back down to miami due to losing power from Charley), my dad took the valve cover off- right away he found the problem...one of the valve adjusters had come loose.

so hes adjusted the valves, cleaned the carbs, and is basically rebuilding the whole bike for me.

i cancelled my cam chain tensioner as we saw the chain had plenty of tension and it was just that loose valve

problem solved for free :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts