Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start off by saying I don't have leather pants but I always ride with jeans on. This weekend some fellow riders told me my knees are real close to touching the ground in the turns. :) But I still have 1 inch chicken strips on both sides of the rear. What do you guys think? Are they just thinking I'm closer than I really am or could I be that close.

I am 6' with real long legs could that be why?
I'm shopping for pants now. Any recommendations.

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
if they say your that close then you probably are also if your on the street you dont need to be hanging off the bike

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Hanging off gets your knees closer to the ground and also reduces lean angle. Get some pants with good abrasion resistance (leather or textile) and try to keep your knees off the ground. It is NOT a great idea on the street. You never know what your knee may run into even with pucks.

·
3 cyl r bttr thn 4
2,470 Posts
1st, If you have 1" strips still on the tire you must be hagin way off the bike.
your friends might be exagerating just a lil. Take some video of yourself and you will definetly see what you are doing and can improve on.

2nd, definetly get some leather/textile pants, that is just added safety for u.
Jeans just dont hold up on a lowside :)

·
DT is happy it snowed
1,582 Posts
If you have 1" strips, you still have about an 1" to go before your draggin. Either that or your hanging off way too much.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thats the thing. I'm not hanging off the bike. I mean I scoot to one side of the seat but i'm not hanging off at all.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
On this subject...I also have some pretty severe chicken strips that i can't seem to get rid of. They are almost 1 inch on each side. I am just curious about something...my rear tire is a Michelin pilot Race H2 medium compound. I was just wondering if the fact that it is a race tire makes it more difficult to lean all the way to the edge, due to the steeper profile of the tire. On my old bike, I had no problem getting all the way over to the edge. I will be buying new tires very soon, so it won't be an issue for long. It just makes me feel really inferior when standing around with a group of guys who look at my tire and chuckle at it.

·
Registered
452 Posts
freeky929 said:
On this subject...I also have some pretty severe chicken strips that i can't seem to get rid of. They are almost 1 inch on each side. I am just curious about something...my rear tire is a Michelin pilot Race H2 medium compound. I was just wondering if the fact that it is a race tire makes it more difficult to lean all the way to the edge, due to the steeper profile of the tire. On my old bike, I had no problem getting all the way over to the edge. I will be buying new tires very soon, so it won't be an issue for long. It just makes me feel really inferior when standing around with a group of guys who look at my tire and chuckle at it.
Don't let other people get to you. Are you riding to please them or yourself? People will always find things to "chuckle" about... whether it's the "chicken strips", the fact that you're only on a 600, the color scheme of your bike or the age of your bike. Who cares what people say? You'll never please everyone. Just ride how you want and enjoy yourself.

By the way, I don't think it's the type of tire that is making it more difficult to lean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts