·
what R you lookin' at?
5,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Updated August 30, 2004 11:51 PM

Trial begins for College Station man accused of motorcycle theft

By CRAIG KAPITAN
Eagle Staff Writer

A College Station man accused of stealing a Suzuki motorcycle went to trial on theft charges Monday, a year and a half after being hit over the head with the butt of a gun owned by the vehicle’s owner.

Matthew Lyle Addison, 23, was detained by motorcycle owner Matthew Coons in March 2003 after the A&M student returned to his apartment to find his motorcycle missing.

Driving around with his cell phone and a 20-gauge shotgun, Coons eventually came upon a street where Addison was sitting on the ground working on the bike, prosecutors Jarvis Parsons and Brian Baker told the jury during opening statements.

“He caught a thief red-handed,” Parsons said, explaining that Coons then used the butt of the shotgun after Addison looked as if he was about to run.

While the motorcycle owner waited for an ambulance and police to arrive, the suspected motorcycle thief began to stir again, attempting to flee as he regained consciousness, Parsons said. At one point, Addison bit Coons as the motorcycle owner struggled to keep him in place.

“Finally, the victim warns him, ‘I’m going to punch you in the face if you try to run again,’” Parsons said. “He warns him again and finally ends up hitting him.”

Addison also is accused of struggling with College Station police officers, who eventually accompanied him to the hospital for injuries sustained by Coons.

Defense attorney Kenneth McGuire declined to give an opening statement. The defense has not yet had an opportunity to present its case.

The motorcycle owner, who now lives in San Antonio, was one of three people called to the witness stand by prosecutors Monday.

If convicted of the theft between $1,500 and $20,000 charge, Addison could face up to two years in a state jail facility.

·
Registered
355 Posts
hope the owner doesnt face any charges. In todays world it seems like theives get all of the rights. I think they should be stripped of them.

·
Registered
454 Posts
awesome. that dude did what ALL motorcycle owners want to do to the thieves that steal our bikes. i detest thieves, stealing things that we work so hard for.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Why kill him? Those comments are just stupid...I'd rather ruff him up a bit and tie him to a pole with a big sign that states "I just got my ass kicked because I tried stealing a motorcycle"

·
Registered
454 Posts
+1, you kill the guy and you are gonna be in prison for a long time. i think this guy did just enough to NOT get in trouble...in fact assaulting someone who isn't threatening your life can land you in legal jeopardy. but it happened in Texas, so he is probably going to be ok :D

·
Cheshire Cat
1,028 Posts
I think the Coons guy did everything right. Just refer to the thread where the pepper got raped with a tree branch. The owner wasn't exacting vengeance, and was detaining the thief without the use of excessive force. All in all, that's awesome. Now I only wish that I could find the guy who stole the Valentine One and video camera out of my car (with tapes filmed in Russia the last time I went there, with the last images of my great-grandmother, who has since passed).

·
Registered
404 Posts
That's a pretty cool story man. I wonder how the guy found the thief in the first place. That would seem pretty random.

·
Registered
522 Posts
f4igrad said:
+1, you kill the guy and you are gonna be in prison for a long time. i think this guy did just enough to NOT get in trouble...in fact assaulting someone who isn't threatening your life can land you in legal jeopardy. but it happened in Texas, so he is probably going to be ok :D

haha seriously, only in texas you can do that :) :lol :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Lok said:
haha seriously, only in texas you can do that :) :lol :)
Heh yea, you can get away with alot when ppl jack your stuff around here. I wouldn't reccomend breaking and entering of any kind in this state either, thats grounds for a totally legal gunshot wound being inflicted on ya ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
I actually believe in Texas you can shoot someone that is stealing your property. I don't believe you even have to feel your life is in danger.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Texas homesteading laws. Don't know if it is accurate but when I lived in Dallas I heard that you could legally shoot and kill someone who was trespassing on your property who was not supposed to be there. I believe they had to be warned along the lines of "Get off my property now or else!" but once warned, if the person did not exit rapidly, shooting was good enough for them.

·
Registered
706 Posts
linuxbikr said:
but once warned, if the person did not exit rapidly, shooting was good enough for them.
wonder if the Jehova Witnesses are around much? :hshot

Its good to hear a thief getting what he deserves (hopefully).

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a permit to carry a gun here in texas and thats not true. You cant shoot anyone for anything unless your life is in danger. Infact if you pull a gun on someone and wait for the cops, he can sew you for pointing a deadly weapon at him. It SUCKs. You cant shoot someone for taking your bike,car, or truck unless they have a knife or gun. And thats only at night. Lots of loop holes in the law. But you can BET the HELL out of them with anything else, and youll get off easy.

·
Banned
1,003 Posts
I wonder if the people who advocated the citizens violating law and sexually assaulting the peeping tom were actually in favor of Coon using the shotgun on the theif. I'll bet they wish he'd shot him dead.

·
ok, who farted?
559 Posts
im always afraid im gonna find my bike gone one day...i hope it never happens to any of us, but if it does, i hope we have the same result of finding the bike with the thief beside it!

·
Registered
981 Posts
guy showed some restraint. id have bullrushed the guy and knocked him out cold for a long ass time. im an angry person anyways tho :twofinger :lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts