Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you use the kill switch to shut the bike down?

I was taught to always use it in the MSF course and always have on four wheelers and motorcycles since I was 8.

I've recently heard you should use the kill switch for emergencies only and just check it once a month to be sure it works.

I thought if I used it every time

A.) I'd know immediately if it wasn't working instead of 20 days later
B.) It becomes second nature to flick the switch if I ever need it in an emergency instead of reaching for the key
C.) It keeps the contacts clean

Am I wrong here? I understand that using it every time could accelerate wear but compared to many times we hit the turn signal button, seems like it still wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some people said MSF taught NOT to use it. The course I went to said to use it.

·
Registered
9,277 Posts
My line of thought has always been:
A killswitch is probably more expensive than a new ignition tumbler. it takes me no more time to turn the key, than it does to hit the killswitch, in a normal situation.
Also, I dunno for sure, but I would think that the contacts would use dielectric grease in order to fight corrosion. Most plugs and contacts SHOULD use this stuff when speaking about bikes, because they are so open to the elements.

In a panic situation, I might hit the switch. But honestly, I kinda doubt it.

·
Mexican Hard Shell Taco
5,894 Posts
I usually stall the bike when parking to shut the engine off, or just put down the kickstand, I always park in gear. The only bike I can recall using the kill switch was the Vulcan 900.

There are some bikes that get weird if you use the kill switch, the ECU goes nuts. If your bike doesn't give a damn, then do as you please.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
I'm inconsistent. Sometime the kill switch, sometimes the key. If on an detectable incline I gear stall like Susser does, or I use the kickstand if it has a working kill switch. I have had several bikes fall over because I got stoooooopid and walked off without putting the kickstand down. Once she rolled off the kickstand because i parked pointing the wrong way.:majoreact
I doubt that there is any evidence favoring one method over another.:bpats

·
Registered
729 Posts
I use the kill switch.

If I'm on an incline and therefore leaving the bike in gear, I like being able to keep my right fingers on the brake lever until the engine is off and the transmission can keep the bike from rolling.

·
A guy on a scruffy bike
15,367 Posts
My habit is to use the killswitch. I don't think it matters very much. My bike is still on its original killswitch; I've worn out my second ignition barrel and need to buy a new one.

PhilB

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
I also do not use the kill switch in everyday situations.

I see it as something to be used in a "the engine needs to be off immediately" situation. Crash the bike with it still running; it is going to be easier to hit the switch than find the key and turn it.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I use both. My bike is loud and when I'm parking at the house I don't Wana wake my neighbors up at night I use my kill switch.

If im headed to the store, restaurant, etc..... I use the key after my kickstand.

I've got away from parking in gear as I live at the beach and everything is flat and I don't Wana forget the bike is in gear and have it launch me after I start it (I've done it b4).

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 20 of 61 Posts