Sport Bikes banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I ride my 2003 cbr f4i I unhook my key from my keychain and use it on my bike. Once I return I usually hook it back to my keychain for safekeeping. After 2 and a half years of doing this with no spare my luck ran out. My key fell down an elevator shaft! I tied a string to my cell phone and sent it under the elevator while recording a video and I can see it sitting on the bottom. I called my landlord and he told me it would cost $150 to get the elevator guy to come take it out. I've been reading around and I know that I would have to take the ignition out of the bike and take it to a locksmith to get a new key made with the key code. I am not very good with tools so that is not an option for me, and neither is getting it towed there since I am at work during the day and cannot really take a day off for the next few weeks. I was able to get access to my rear seat lock and was able to find 2 alphnumeric key codes on it. One is 4 digits and it goes alphabet-number-number-alphabet and the other is 3 digits and it goes number-alphabet-alphabet. Could someone tell me if that would be the same key code to use to get a key made for the ignition? Any other advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dattaway-I looked on my manual but the instruction on removing it isn't there, all i found was how to remove the rear fender. There seems to be a piece of plastic on the inside of the fender that is holding the lock in place, seems I would have to break it off since there are no screws...does that sound right? The rest of the lock assembly does seem to have screws and bolts so that shouldn't be hard to remove. Also what should the cost be for making a new key? Thanks again.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Your cheapest option might be paying the 150 for the elevator guy and then having a new key cut from the old key.

Call a Honda dealer and ask them about the key code, but I don't think the code they use is the same as the code printed on the locks themselves. Also, I've found some dealers refuse to sell pre cut keys, even if you have proof of ownership of the bike. It's bullshit, but they do it. So make sure one in that area can get you a key with the code and see what it costs.

With regard to the seat lock, I wouldn't force it out or destroy anything trying to remove it. By the time you pay to replace whatever you break, you would likely have spent as much money and had less aggravation by paying the elevator guy.

You can order key blanks from a Honda dealer for about 10.00, part number 35121-MAS-G01 I'd think having the key cut would be under 10.00 as well.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for the suggestions, I solved my problem the following day. I spent a few hours messing around with the elevator and figured out how the mechanics work. I was able to make a small tool with wire clothes hanger to open the first floor door while the elevator was on the third so I could jump down into the shaft and get the key out myself. I don’t recommend this to anyone, but it was the cheapest solution!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts