Sport Bikes banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Don't Mess With Texas
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm actually looking forward to the FX race now.

http://www.cyclenews.com/ShowStory.asp?HeadlineID=7684

Kevin Schwantz will return to AMA road racing this weekend at Road America when he fills in for Opie Caylor on the Team EMGO Taiwan Formula Xtreme Suzuki GSX-R600, but don't read too much into the one-off race.

"It's by no means that I'm going there to try and rekindle my career," the 40-year-old Schwantz said this morning from Atlanta, Georgia. "I'm just helping out a buddy who is in a pinch."

That buddy is Caylor, one of Schwantz' teachers at the Kevin Schwantz School at Road Atlanta. Caylor's wife, Tracy, is expecting a baby and he's opted to stay home and await the birth of the child.

"I'm just going to go ride the bike," Schwantz said. "I just want to ride it and give him some input on the bike and what I think of it. I'm not thinking I'm going to race Jake [Zemke] and Miguel [Duhamel]."

The subject of Schwantz, the 1993 500cc World Champion, riding the bike came up on a bicycle ride with Caylor. The two were discussing the birth of the Caylor's child and figured it might be best for Opie to stay home this weekend. Then Schwantz stepped in and said he'd ride the bike.

"We figured things would be better at home if he stayed back and was there when the child comes," Schwantz said with a chuckle. "I told him I could probably get the bike the exposure that it needs."

Caylor's operation is strictly privateer. There's one bike, one mechanic... a far cry from Schwantz' glory days as a member of the Suzuki factory team in Grand Prix racing.

Schwantz will ride the bike for the first time tomorrow in promoter practice at Road America. And he knows there's a lot of pressure from his team owner.

"He said I might get to ride it again sometime," Schwantz said with a laugh. "But he also said if I don't perform he'll put someone else on it."

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
It would be cool to see him upset the factory boys.

·
Premium Member
20,922 Posts
That guy flat out rocks! Although he's riding basically a privateer Supersport bike in FX, look for him to break into the top ten.
Maybe even an outside chance for a podium???

FX is really Honda's show this year. No one else has a real chance in there.

·
Registered
377 Posts
So what were the results?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
If not mistaken,he crashed out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts