Sport Bikes banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've searched Home Depot and Pep Boys, and I can't seem to find it. I'm looking for kerosene to purchase for cleaning my machine's chain. I've just put almost 100 miles on her already, but I want to do the full cleaning, including the chain this weekend. Anybody drop a hint on where to find this stuff? I'm a little reluctant to use WD-40 as a cleaning solvent.
 

·
second chimp in space
Joined
·
3,344 Posts
for cleaning, wd40 isn't too bad. it sure as heck won't eat through orings, either. plus you can use it with the chain still on the bike. It actually did a good job on my old chain. Just don't rely on it as a lube.

I don't know how clean you want it to be (like show clean?), but wd40 will get the dirt off. that's about the only good use of wd40 that i've found.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
910 Posts
I get kerosene from the local True Value hardware store/home center.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
528 Posts
You have to find one of those old style full service gas stations, or the oil distributor that brings them their gas. One of them should have it. Otherwise, just use diesel, only slightly different than kerosene.
 

·
~ Master Technician ~
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
enos said:
for cleaning, wd40 isn't too bad. it sure as heck won't eat through orings, either. plus you can use it with the chain still on the bike. It actually did a good job on my old chain. Just don't rely on it as a lube.

I don't know how clean you want it to be (like show clean?), but wd40 will get the dirt off. that's about the only good use of wd40 that i've found.
I also use WD-40 for cleaning my chain, sprockets and rear wheel. It works very well and won't harm the chain. I replaced my stock chain at 19,000 miles and all I ever used to clean it was WD-40. The chain was still good but the sprockets were shot so I did all three.
 

·
You got that right.
Joined
·
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
enos said:
for cleaning, wd40 isn't too bad. it sure as heck won't eat through orings, either. plus you can use it with the chain still on the bike. It actually did a good job on my old chain. Just don't rely on it as a lube.

I don't know how clean you want it to be (like show clean?), but wd40 will get the dirt off. that's about the only good use of wd40 that i've found.
I think the verdict is still out on WD-40. Some riders swear by it others condemn it. So I'd rather do what the manufacturer tells me to do and that's to use kerosene. I just had some difficulty trying to find it. I went to Home Depot and asked like four people and I was bounced all over the store trying to find something that probably wasn't there to begin with.

EyeSpy: I think there's one a few towns over, will do!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
202 Posts
A paint shop might also sell Kerosene. People often (Or atleast i did, when I worked in construction) use kerosene to clean paint brushes and the paint off your hands.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,721 Posts
+1 on wallys world

i use wd40, sometimes simple green
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
Heh, due to my job, I have an unlimited supply of JetA fuel.. stuff basically is just purified kerosene.. Cleans my chain up really good. I couldn't fine kerosene anywhere though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
It should be in camping/outdoor section of a sporting goods store or Wal-Mart like you all said
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,525 Posts
mikem317 said:
Okay, I've searched Home Depot and Pep Boys, and I can't seem to find it. I'm looking for kerosene to purchase for cleaning my machine's chain. I've just put almost 100 miles on her already, but I want to do the full cleaning, including the chain this weekend. Anybody drop a hint on where to find this stuff? I'm a little reluctant to use WD-40 as a cleaning solvent.
Try your local hardware store like ACE, True Value and Walmart might have them in cans.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Mineral Spirits(Napthalene)? Maybe.. But Kerasine is sold at Wally World in the paint section. Coleman Fuel might also be Kerasine, you'll have to read the can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
I use this stuff. It eats up the grime on the chain with one application within 15 minutes. Then use chain wax spray instead of regular lube... You probably won't have to clean it for a while after this.

Nothing better. :)
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Go to a cycle shop [BICYCLES] and pick up some White Lightning. The stuff is fantastic and it is used by triathaletes and cyclists everywhere. My father is an Ironman and everyone in the cycling community uses the stuff. A drive chain is a drive chain and it works GREAT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
231 Posts
vocallyeargasmic said:
Go to a cycle shop [BICYCLES] and pick up some White Lightning. The stuff is fantastic and it is used by triathaletes and cyclists everywhere. My father is an Ironman and everyone in the cycling community uses the stuff. A drive chain is a drive chain and it works GREAT.
Do they use o-ring chains, though? As long as the stuff is safe for the o-rings on a motorcycle chain, it'd probably be fine.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top