Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys... i just have a few quick questions....

1. How often do you change your oil and oil filters? What oil do you use?

2. How often do you change your air filter? Do the aftermarket filters like K & N help any?

Thanks for the info guys. Ol' yeah.... does anyone know how easy it is to level my headlights?? When i put my brights on they are way out of line.

·
Registered
205 Posts
ECUr6 said:
What's up guys... i just have a few quick questions....

1. How often do you change your oil and oil filters? What oil do you use?
Every 1000 miles or every 2 mos. I do track and drag, so will frequently change oil.

2. How often do you change your air filter? Do the aftermarket filters like K & N help any?
Air filter. once a year.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I change my oil every 2000 miles or so. About once every month to month and a half. I use Golden Spectra 10/40 Synthetic conventional blend.

Air filter, once a year.

·
Registered
109 Posts
My oil changes vary. If I am just doing street riding, its every 3k miles. However, If I am doing trackdays, then its get changed every time I come back from a Track weekend.

Air filter, gets inspected every couple months and cleaned as necessary or replaced.

Spark plugs and coils get checked as well.

I also check all the bolts that I can. Things do vibrate a lot on motorcycles and I have found quite a few loose from time to time.

The chain gets cleaned and waxed every 300-400 miles or every track day.

I also check the sprocket teeth occassionally (sp).

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Right now the bike is in pieces in the garage getting maintained. It just takes me forever to get it done these days. Stupid work and college getting in the way of my riding time!!!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
DreddR6 said:
My oil changes vary. If I am just doing street riding, its every 3k miles. However, If I am doing trackdays, then its get changed every time I come back from a Track weekend.

Air filter, gets inspected every couple months and cleaned as necessary or replaced.

Spark plugs and coils get checked as well.

I also check all the bolts that I can. Things do vibrate a lot on motorcycles and I have found quite a few loose from time to time.

The chain gets cleaned and waxed every 300-400 miles or every track day.

I also check the sprocket teeth occassionally (sp).

Exactly what I do. Though I use Castrol Syntec 10/40 for my oil.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Castrol syntec 10/40 as well

Every 1500 miles the oil gets changed and every other change the filter goes

Spark Plugs changed every 6000 miles

Chain cleaned and lubed every 150-200 miles

Brake pads changed every 6000 miles or as needed

Brake fluid and coolant fluid flushed and changed once a year

My clutch will probably need replacing around 10-12k miles

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What does everyone think about the K&N air filter? Is it worth the money? Can you tell any difference in performance? What would you guys suggest? The reason i ask is b/c i am planning on getting my bike serviced this weekend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
NO, NO, and NO for a 99-02 r6. The can't be tuned correctly with the carbed bikes. If you have a 03-04 I would go with the BMC race filter anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
cu360r6 said:
Castrol syntec 10/40 as well

Every 1500 miles the oil gets changed and every other change the filter goes

Spark Plugs changed every 6000 miles

Chain cleaned and lubed every 150-200 miles

Brake pads changed every 6000 miles or as needed

Brake fluid and coolant fluid flushed and changed once a year

My clutch will probably need replacing around 10-12k miles

Why will your clutch need to be replaced at 10-12k? My '03 has 16k on it and the clutch is fine.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Oil gets changed every 1000 miles with Mobil 1 car oil. I change the oil filter every 3-4 times. Filter once a year in the beggining of summer unless I ride in the dust a lot. Spark plugs only if I feel a problem or I know my jetting is off and I fix it. I lube my chain with WD40 every time I change my tires or when it gets dirty- it is the only part of the bike I try to keep clean. I got almost 30k miles out of a R1 chain that way only changed it because Silent wanted a 520 kit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts