Sport Bikes banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been in the market for either of these bikes...i'm going to my local dealers today to see which will offer me the better deal. I know that performance wise the Kawi is better, but aesthetically I like the Suzuki. As a beginner whos gonna take MSF very soon, do you think i'd go wrong buying either one of these?

·
old member
13,079 Posts
Either one would make a good first bike, should be super reliable, and hold value well if not wrecked. Why not consider used? Investment is lower, resale later as a percentage of original purchase will likely be higher, insurance may be lower, and you won't :cry as much when you drop it (we all did).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nope, you'd be fine buying either as long as the prices were fair and neither was a basketcase. If you like the GS500E more, get that. And yeah, buy used.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I like the way the Ninja feels, more than GS. I had the same exact decision to make. GS feels like it's cheaply made, for some reason. :dunno

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
1,308 Posts
ive been looking at the ninja 500 and the gs500 aswell all i can find used for the gs500 are like 91 and 93 for 2500 canadian when i could keep looking and maybe find a 2002 or2003 for like 3000 what do you guys think i should do?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice guyz. just got back from the dealership though, and Kawi is offering a nice finance deal on all their new bikes, $49 a month for the first two years, my cable TV/internet cost more than that! So this makes buyin new attractive. The point of dropping the bike is well taken though. Anyone know how much these bikes run in insurance per year?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just pick up either one used and get liability insurance, it'll save you SO much more in the long run.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
1,308 Posts
i found one on trader but was sold in a day i was gonna go down and see the guy too that kinda angerd me

·
Registered
222 Posts
lawson said:
nice gs500 thats what i want but cant find anywhere used
You may have to wait till next year before you find any used ones since that is a 2004 bike. But plenty of the naked GS500's to be found used.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
1,308 Posts
yes i know i am not gettin a bike till next summer actually unless i find a good price, wich i wont lol. im takin the msf course aug 2 or 9th so ill have my m2 then i will be able to just get a bike in summer and start riding right away. i cant wait ive wanted this since i was 15 and ive had enough money when i was 15 and then spent it so im saving again. so hopefully i get enough by next summer if i dont i cry or bug parents for loan

·
Registered
14 Posts
When I went to the dealer i had my heart set on the gs500 just for the looks... but after really talking to the sales rep and sitting on the two bikes, the ninja was a lot more comfortable for me and kinda just felt like it was built better.

·
Registered
452 Posts
drmnlateef said:
Thanks for the advice guyz. just got back from the dealership though, and Kawi is offering a nice finance deal on all their new bikes, $49 a month for the first two years, my cable TV/internet cost more than that! So this makes buyin new attractive. The point of dropping the bike is well taken though. Anyone know how much these bikes run in insurance per year?
You're better off calling around to get quotes. Rates vary so much depending on location, age, value of bike and type of bike. Also, if you're going to finance the bike, you'll have to get full coverage.

I'm guessing that you're younger, so don't be surprised if your insurance rate is as much as (or more than) your bike payment.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Actually not too much younger than you, 27. They gave me 3.9% on it for 36 months, which is pretty competitive with most finance agencies in this area. I did not have to get full coverage, just liability! On the liability I got a quote of $250 bucks a year, not bad I guess?

·
You will be missed Shawn
6,508 Posts
not bad at all. sounds like you got a good deal. congrats and post up pics when you get it home.

·
Registered
452 Posts
drmnlateef said:
Actually not too much younger than you, 27. They gave me 3.9% on it for 36 months, which is pretty competitive with most finance agencies in this area. I did not have to get full coverage, just liability! On the liability I got a quote of $250 bucks a year, not bad I guess?
Wow, that's not a bad deal at all. I'm surprised they didn't require you to get full coverage.

I would still refrain from getting just liability, however. If you crash the bike, you'll have to pay for repairs out of your pocket. If you total the bike, you'll be making payments on a lawn ornament that used to resemble a motorcycle.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For beginners I'd recommend a '96+ EX500 or GS500 costing about $2000-2500. Bikes that are newer and more expensive will devalue quickly, while older bikes can have problems related to age (faded paint, cracking hoses, gaskets, etc.).

For all the care I take, I've dropped my bike twice in the garage while moving it. And it's toppled itself once when the sidestand dug a hole in the driveway (in the shade). The fairings slightly cracked and both the front indicator lights broke. But, since my bike is used and cosmetically-imperfect, it's not a big deal. If it were a new bike on the other hand...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts