Sport Bikes banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister is trying to move to AZ from WI and is going to rent a vehicle. What is the cheapest way to get her motorcycle there? Does a Kawi 500 fit in a mini van (although I don't know how she would transport the seats then)? It seems that most of the places that rent vehicles or trailers only allow you to return it from where you rented. This is going to be a one way trip. Any tips on moving the bike would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
TLSean said:
My sister is trying to move to AZ from WI and is going to rent a vehicle. What is the cheapest way to get her motorcycle there? Does a Kawi 500 fit in a mini van (although I don't know how she would transport the seats then)? It seems that most of the places that rent vehicles or trailers only allow you to return it from where you rented. This is going to be a one way trip. Any tips on moving the bike would be appreciated. Thanks.

put it in a u-haul,with everything else.they reny one-way. that's what i did,from PA to FL. works great,you can just tie the bike to the side rails inside,and tie off any furniture,etc. that could possibly slide into it while driving,and it'll be fine

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To rent the U-haul for a one way to AZ costs about $1400 before gas. Anything cheaper?

·
Registered
549 Posts
How much stuff does she have to move other than the bike? If she was thinking about a mini-van size vehicle, it couldn't be that much stuff...

If that's the case, then why rent a vehicle? Just have her pack up her belongings and ship it UPS (or something cheaper) and just ride the bike to Wisconsin. Sounds like fun to me.

Also, U-Haul does rent trailers too, you know.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I shipped my 500R from Tucson to Chicago for the summer via ForwardAir: https://www.forwardair.com/prepaid/MCmainpage.jsp

It cost me a little under $500 and it was a great experience. My only complaint is that they can't give you an exact date of when the container for your motorcycle will arrive at the terminal (they give you an estimated date but it's sometimes earlier). You must supply the tie down straps and locks for the crate. They don't seem to be real picky about prepping the bike (no one inspected mine). I believe the webpage recommends draining all the fluids but when I called and asked, they said just to drain the gas and disconnect the battery, so that's all I did. Her bike will fit in the medium sized container (EXC), by the way. Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to help

edit: Since she's already renting a vehicle, why not rent a truck? I wanted to do that but couldn't find any place renting trucks in Tucson. Also, a plane ticket + shipping via ForwardAir seemed like it was going to be less expensive so I took that route

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
If you get a uhaul enclosed trailer (that you pull behind the vehicle) it should be like 40-50 bucks one way... maybe more. You can tie the bike down inside it, and it comes with it's own ramp.... But don't tell them you're putting a MC in it haha

·
Registered
80 Posts
I had this same freaking problem. I had a 500 R and am moving from chicago to NJ with very little stuff (not enough to rent a Uhaul)... and Uhaul was asking too much. I sold my bike anyhow. :)

But from all the research I did, forward air is your best choice... I believe they charge around $450 or so. But you know, it may fit in a minivan... you will not have hooks to tie it to... it may be a bit tricky.

No body rents Pickup trucks out of state one way, I've tried every rental place. So thats out.

Another option you do have though is to rent a motorcycle trailer from UHaul... might cost you about $200 or so... but you need a hitch for that, and that'll cost another $155 installation for UHaul.

So all in all, forward air is your best choice.

Moving is a bitch... I am buying a pickup (Toyota Tacoma) next time I go car shopping :D.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Spike said:
If you get a uhaul enclosed trailer (that you pull behind the vehicle) it should be like 40-50 bucks one way... maybe more. You can tie the bike down inside it, and it comes with it's own ramp.... But don't tell them you're putting a MC in it haha
40 bucks? Are you sure? because they compute by the distance, the bastards... although it doesn't use mechanical parts except the wheels. They gave me a quote of 200 or so.

·
The Ugly TwatWaffle
8,369 Posts
but still, 200 isn't bad..... It's 40 bucks for a trailer from tallahassee, fl to orlando FL..... *shrugs* This is also based on the assumption she has a trailer hitch on her vehicle.... cause if not you would have to have one installed. If she does have one you have to make sure it's the right size.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She doesn't have that much stuff, but it seemed like the smaller trailers have to be returned from the same place they were rented. The forward air sounds the best. If I helped her move and she only paid for gas, it would cost more than that. Thanks for the help everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts