Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was coming home from houston today and decided to look at a few bikes at the dealership. I looked around and sat on everything, I sat on the katana 750 and DAMN it was so freaking comfortable. You could lay down and be ok or sit up and be completely comfortable, and the seat was a dream. I checked up on the bike and it is REALLY heavy compared to other bikes, but I didn't find that it felt heavy at all, I mean I could tell a difference between it and the F4I but not that much(I am 6foot 175). I also found people saying it doesn't have enough power and handling and brakes suck, now I don't really care about power but what about the rest? I love the look of it (Silver and Black) Just damn sexy to me :) especially if the emblems were taken off. But how would this bike do for me?
I want a daily ride that is reliable, plus comfortable. I will be taking a 800+ mile round trip 2x a month on it(Freeport,TX to Houma,LA) how would that go? Does it have enough oomph to get out of trouble on the highways(especially going through houston!) And if I eventually take it to the track how much will I be laughed at? And whats the fun factor as far as twisties are concerned? I have alot of ?'s but my hands are hurting..

·
Registered
586 Posts
from what i know, it sounds like it would be a good bike for you. with all the commuting that is. just have to take it easy in the "high-speed" type turns.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had a 98' Kat 600 and it was a good bike. Great to do trips on, but not too good for the track. You know what though man, it all comes down to the rider. I could keep up with all the SS bikes in my riding group, but I had to work on my lines and carry my speed through the corners. It would be better for you to start off on something like a Kat, or SV650 rather than jumping right onto a 600cc + sport bike. What other bikes have you looked at?

·
Registered
209 Posts
dont know a lot about katanas but even the 600 cc katana runs 4.1 sec 0-60 so passing power shouldnt be a problem. 750 cc is 3.5 and yea they are comfortable and heavy. thats really all i know about katanas lol

edit: corrected 0-60 time

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not my first bike btw. Rode dirt over a year+ raced. First bike on the road though :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Kat is nice, try and do some dealer test rider before you settle though. The SV650 is torquey and fun, but still forgiving. You can drive a Kat all day, and feel fine afterwards. When (& if) you wanted to though, a Kat will NOT wheelie to save its life, while an SV650 will with that torquey V-twin powerplant. It is all up to what you want to do with it though, weigh your options and see how much $$$ you have to work with, and try as many machines as you can.

·
~ Master Technician ~
2,176 Posts
The Kat. 750 has a rock solid engine but is down on power compared to the newer 600cc bikes. It also wieghs about 100lbs more. However, it is cheaper than many bikes, and it pretty comfortable. The handling is ok but that mainly depends on you. Just look at the stock tires, they are not made fore canyon carving with those 3 inch side walls.

You probably be happier with a Suzuki SV-1000, Honda 919, Yamaha FZ6 or FZ1

·
Registered
51 Posts
check out the Yamaha YZF600R great commuter bike. The comfort of a Katana with the brakes of an R1 and a great engine. Picked up my 2002 w/lots of mods for $3800.

·
Hardass!
8,085 Posts
Comfy and rideable. Fast enough to get you a ticket and even though its not a pure bred sportsbike, cops will still say "its a yeller ninja type bike".

·
Bring It!
935 Posts
I think that bike would suit you just fine. I don't know how they are on the track but my Kat was really comfy and made for a great commuter. Heavy as shit, yes but to be honest I really didn't feel that too much while I was riding, just when I was backing it or picking it up off the ground. :lol

·
Registered
528 Posts
Just how fast do you think you need to go? 80-90 hp on a motorcycle isn't enough? It may not be SS fast, but it'll still destroy any cage sitting next to you. I bet 90% of the people of this forum wouldn't be able to use all the power of a Katana, much less the power of the new SS bikes.

I was looking at a used Katana 750 a few years ago and almost bought it just because it had such a comfortable riding position and it just felt right. I look back now and wish I had. It's a great all around commuter bike with excellent wind protection for the hwy. If you find one in really good condition you should go for it. It doesn't do anything great, but does everything good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the info everyone, it really helps me out.
Has anyone drove a Katana with the tires changes out and suspension dialed in? I was wondering if that would open up the handling a lil bit.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I had a kat 750 for my first bike. Alot of fun it was. Very reliable too - you hardley ever hear of problems with them. I wouldn't drop money on a new one though there are better bikes to be had at near the same price in new bikes. Actually 750s before 1998 have a higher redline and a higher compression ratio, giving them like 12 or so more HP (106 at the crank). They were detuned in 1998 for some reason :rolleyes

Note that it is top heavy and that makes manuvering under 15 mph a bitch. Nothing is really top notch on the bike but it ends up being a fairly good package. Alot of people hate on them though so be prepared for that - not a good poser bike.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Freeker said:
Thanks for all the info everyone, it really helps me out.
Has anyone drove a Katana with the tires changes out and suspension dialed in? I was wondering if that would open up the handling a lil bit.
I put a 160-60-17 on the rear instead of the stock 150-70-17, and this makes it handle much better. Same tire setup as the SV650. I had Raceteck springs in the front, full Hindle exhause, jet kit, sprockets, shaved heads, ported & polished,....... too much done to that thing. Too much $$$

It did handle pretty good for a Katana after all that, but I always got shit from the SS riders in my group... Can-o-tuna, and all that crap. You know what though, I really enjoyed that bike, and it served me well, but try some other bikes before you settle. $.02 :dblthumb

·
Registered
912 Posts
matt365 said:
When (& if) you wanted to though, a Kat will NOT wheelie to save its life
I ride a stock '03 Kat 600 and I can put a wheel in the air... It's all about tecnique. Besides, katana's are not stunt bikes. Even one heavy landing from a wheelie is enough to blow the fork seals.

As far as power and handling... you should check out http://www.katriders.com There is a pretty big community behind this bike, and a lot of mods available to increase both power and handling. Hell, even just replacing the stock tire with Diablo's or Metz's will cause the Kat to handle like a completely different bike. the top heavyness does make slow speed maneuvering a bit cumbersome, but when you're out carving a line in the twisties you won't really notice.

Personally I think it's a wonderful bike to learn on, and 99% of the people who have ridden one will tell you the same. A lot of people who get the Kat as a 'first bike' never get another bike because it does so much so well. And for those who bag on the Kat are really just squid posers, so they can all go to hell.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Kat's are much maligned by others because they aren't the latest, greatest, highest hp, most expensive or lightest bikes out there. You can ride one all day and be comfortable and they have "real world" power bands so you don't have to hit 14k rpm's to have fun with them. And insurance is more reasonable for them also.

I had a '92 Kat 1100 and it was a great bike and I rode a lot of enjoyable miles on it.

·
Enlightened
771 Posts
Jerm said:
check out the Yamaha YZF600R great commuter bike. The comfort of a Katana with the brakes of an R1 and a great engine. Picked up my 2002 w/lots of mods for $3800.
I have to agree with this. I'm a little biased since I own a 600R but it has as much power as the Kat750 and is just as comfortable. The 600R is a lot lighter, has better brakes and suspension and overall is just a more capable bike. It can be used for track days with a little work on the suspension and is very suitalble for street riding or touring right off the showroom floor. I rode mine all the way to Daytona (bike week) from Virginia and back again with only minor comfort issues. That was 14 hours. Shorter rides are a breeze.

Looks are subjective but I think the 600R looks 10 times better that the katana.

All that said, the katana is not a bad bike for everyday street use. But I think there is more value in the 600R.

·
Registered
987 Posts
The Kat is fine as a transportation bike if going fast is any prioriy or going to the track there are tons of other options. The FZ can go silly fast at the track same for the SV650 just about all the Yamaha 600's are comfortable but I could not recomend a R6 it is too much bike for a new guy to the street.

Most of what is in the katana is very old tech I tink it was a sporty back in the 80's. You can go fast it is just more work than the other bikes.

·
sikk cylinders
1,014 Posts
I got a 2002 Katana 600 for my son as a starter bike. I don't think I could have picked a better bike for him. It's comfortable and easy to handle. The brakes, steering and throttle response are good for a beginner rider too. Not too out of control if you know what I mean but it still performs well. It's a nice bike! If you like it, go for it!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Very good, comfortable bike. Many people think it looks better than my gixxer. I tell them it's a "baby 'busa". It does fine in the twisties and you can go some distance without it beating you up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts