Sport Bikes banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the general consensus on K&N air filters? Do they help the engine breathe better? Would installing an aftermarket pipe (slip-on) and a high-flow air filter like a K&N warrant a PCIII installation? Would it run too lean otherwise?

How about their oil filters? Do they reduce metal fragment ppm in oil?

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Most slip-ons, even with an aftermarket filter, rarely require remapping the fuel injection(usually only full systems require re-mapping). K&N filters are proven to allow a significant higher flow of air. Most 32-bit injection systems will make the adjustments to the increased air-flow. One aftermarket accessory that is worth looking into if you are going with a high-flow air filter is a set of velocity stacks. They improve the flow of this extra air dramatically. Result is a smoother throttle response and power band. A PCIII is a bargain regardless of whether or not you actually "need one". For $300 bucks it gives you the ability to do some pretty neat adjusting of your FI, which can lead to some noticeable improvement in power and power delivery.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I did some mods with about 300 miles between them in this order;
Renegade exhaust, no noticiable power gains.
Renegade Eprom, huge power gain mostly on highway speed roll ons.
KN air filter- Noticable improvement with Eprom, No noticable improvement with stock chip.(I took the filter on and off a few times during this time.

The chip was made for free flowing air setup.

I don't know, but I think, you could have the best air box design in the world. Put a dirty piece of paper over it it sucks. Good air flow with an engine that breaths air seem like a no brainer, not a passed fad.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I had one in my F4i.... I noticed the difference when I used the K&N vs. Regluar. Anything getting more air to the engine cannot be a bad thing...

·
You got that right.
10,228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ASharpMind said:
I had one in my F4i.... I noticed the difference when I used the K&N vs. Regluar. Anything getting more air to the engine cannot be a bad thing...
The only bad thing I could think of is the engine running more lean, and therefore more hot, hurting performance, mileage efficiency, etc. I'm just trying to get some affirmation on just adding a K&N air filter W/O a PowerCommander* module right now.

*I do plan on purchasing one in Sep./Oct. and installing it for next season.

·
Registered
17 Posts
K&N many like it many dont it comes down to what you want from it, i have heard it may loose some hp 1 or 2 some say it improves hp but what i like about k&n is that you will never need to replace the filter and you can clean it as many times as you want and it seem to trap more dirt and stays cleaner longer plus i think it has a ;ifetime warranty free of charge lol, but i suppose if your looking for more hp i heard that B&m race filter breath the best but it will cost you if not or more as a k&n, but like i said it boils down to what you want it for....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts