Sport Bikes banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was gonna buy a new bike this year but riding payment free feels so much better than riding with the new bike payment. So I have been putting a little bit of money over the years into moding my bike. So far I have : Full Micron Exhaust, Jet kit, -1 on the front sprocket and various appearance upgrades. I am wondering if I should bother with a K&N air filter. Are they worth the cash or should I not even bother? I was wondering if the increased air flow is just better for the bike in the sense that it can "breathe" more. You guys got any experience with them?
Thanks!

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
I have used K&N's in cars and I don't have any problem with them but, there is no way that a K&N is better than the stock filter, save your money. The stock filter is a very good piece. Just make sure it is clean and oiled. I just took a shop vac to mine at the beginning of the season.

How do you like your exhaust? What kind of jet kit did you get and did you do it yourself? How does it run?

·
Combat Marshmellow
13,132 Posts
i just ordered a K&N for my 04 636 for the maintance qualities - just clean it oil it and go... my understanding is that it's no better than stock performance wise...but i'll try and let you know after we run it on the dyno next time...

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
badgixxer said:
i just ordered a K&N for my 04 636 for the maintance qualities - just clean it oil it and go...
That's exactly what you do with the stock filter on the 00-02's I don't know about the 04's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Awesome. Thanks guys I won't throw out the cash then. Anyways I am not sure which jet kit is in my bike. Some asshole ran over my parked bike and then tried to take off on me but i bagged him. No real bad damage but a bit of cosmetic. So I took my bike to where I bought it and told the guy at the shop the story. Short end of it is that he got pissed and said " I am gonna hook your bike up with the insurance $$$" So he installed a "factory"? jet kit, full micron exhaust, -1 on the front sprocket, targa color match seat cowl(stock seat has some minor scuffing so I went with the cowl instead of a new seat) Short stalk rear directionals and a tinted windscreen. The best part is that I still had 300 bucks left over afterwards. Sometimes I really love how much OEM shit is.
Anyways, the bike runs a lot more crisp. Between those mods and the Pirrelli Diabolos I put on I couldn't be happier with it. I weigh 230lbs and if I snap the throttle at 5k the front end comes up pretty easily. I love the sound of it, not too loud not too soft. The 4-2-1 piping looks pretty sick too :)

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
That's awesome that he hooked you up with all that stuff.

I have heard of the brand "Factory" jet kits. I was reading somewhere that these bikes really respond to a good exhaust and jet kit.

My bike is so quiet with the stock exhaust on there I just haven't decided whether I want a slip on or full system.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
likebikes said:
That's awesome that he hooked you up with all that stuff.

I have heard of the brand "Factory" jet kits. I was reading somewhere that these bikes really respond to a good exhaust and jet kit.

My bike is so quiet with the stock exhaust on there I just haven't decided whether I want a slip on or full system.

If you are gonna do it get a full system. Slip ons are a waste of money IMO. If you are planning on keeping the bike for a while spend the extra cash and go with the full system. You won't be disappointed. Micron seems to really work well with Kawasaki's.

·
No limit hypocrite
1,695 Posts
I hear people left and right, saying the K&N filters do no good. I dont buy it. In no way, would a stock air filter be as good as a specialized filter, that a company spends millions of dollars in Research and Development. Stock Air Filters, Exhaust, ect are all MANDATED by DOT noise pollution, and exhaust emmission standards....and they are NOT the highest performance pieces available.
K&N flows more air.. more air = more fuel... more fuel/air mixture = b***** bang and more power..
I would definitely like to see a Dyno of before and after a K&N filter, because I dont buy that a stock air filter is superior.. Besides, EVERY professional racing team runs K&N (or another aftermarket filter), instead of stock.

·
Superbike fan
871 Posts
There are basically 2 types of aftermarket filters that are supposed to be high flow

1. oiled cotton and gauze (K&N)
2. oiled foam (UNI)

The Kawasaki filter is a foam filter from the factory.

Why is it that you assume that everything from the factory is a piece of junk? Can't a few quality pieces make it to production? Kawasaki obviously thinks ram air is the way to go. They are the originators and have the best execution. Why would they waste it with a poor flowing filter?

I have nothing against K&N filters. I've used several and have been happy with them. I just want you to think about the fact that sometimes they are not better than stock, it is possible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts