Sport Bikes banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good movie, but I didn't quite get it. I know that people back then and in the south were jerks and hated hippies and people on motorcycles, but what's with the end? I know the explosion was to make sure you know that their money is blowed up, but uh.... someone help. :confused:

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The redneck was trying to scare Hopper and accidentally shot him. Then they had to kill Captain America because he was a witness.

Listen to the commentary on the DVD. They explain most of their reasoning for the scenes.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok. I think I got that much about the going back to kill him. I was just wondering if there was some deeper symbolic meaning that I was just plain missing. I was going to watch the extras on the dvd today, but it looks like someone returned the movie.

Damn!!!

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
According to Dennis Hopper, the point was that no amount of money or 'freedom' actually bought them happiness. Remember Fonda says simply: "We blew it".
They had this high and mighty dream, living on idealism and dope. But in the end, they discovered that it was all just a pipe dream.
Hopper has not only panned that movie, but he's been highly critical of the characters, often calling them losers. The ending was an intended anti-climax.
It represented the folly of living on idealism as the entire hippy generation was attempting to do. There is no freedom. There is no greener pasture over there. The ending summed up the failed dreams of the age of aquarius. The let down that despite all their self-importance and supposed social activism, they were really insignificant and it all amounted to squat.
Easy Rider drives home the disillusionment of hippies that have come to the cold, meat hook reality that free love and positive auras are meaningless.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There we go. I knew there was something I was missing. Probably a combination of not being old enough and not watching the dvd extras. Thanks Solly.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
I've just read a ton of interviews with Fonda and Hopper over the years. Don't forget, I'm a chopper guy with about as much rake as Captain America on my Sporty.

·
Registered
80 Posts
little trivia: one of the two girls they made out with in the cemetery was actress Toni Basil, a former cheerleader and singer, who, years later would have a hit song called "Hey Mickey"

·
Registered
353 Posts
The acid trip is almost too real. :D

Great flick. I've seen it too many times.

·
Politically incorrect
508 Posts
I can certainly relate to that movie. I was a hippie motorcycle rider back in that era. I took a two-month trip during that time, on my motorcycle (a standard Triumph Bonneville) from Ohio westward, and back. I used to wear a "Captain America" shirt and my hair was long. I didn't have any trouble in the South, but I did have some trouble in Roswell, New Mexico, and not with the aliens. :lol

I wouldn't confine your description of Southerners to the South. People are fearful (jealous) of people who are different, people who are free spirits, people who don't conform.

As a college professor, I see that attitude among my students, when one student tends to speak freely and "uninhibitidly" in class. Many of the rest sort of shake their heads in disapproval. As for me, I love any student who gives me a break from lecturing, in a lecture type class. :D

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SMFCPACFP said:
I wouldn't confine your description of Southerners to the South. People are fearful (jealous) of people who are different, people who are free spirits, people who don't conform.
I know I shouldn't say stuff like that. Do you ever make stupid blanket statements about things you know nothing about just for the hell of it? i know I do. All the time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts