Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, let me start off by telling about myself. I'm 19, 5'9 160 ish. I'm going to be going to a b***** college in like 1 1/2 years and want a bike because I've always wanted one and to save gas for around campus. The college is in a rural area. I'm gonna say what every new squid says. I'm gonna get a 600 for my first bike. I've been riding my friends 250 (idk what kind but it looks like a street legal dirtbike) and I shifted, used throttle and rode comfortably on my first time. Not saying I'm a pro but I kinda impressed myself. I'm looking at a 2001-2006 f4i, gsxr 600 or r6. And I was just wondering what your thoughts were. And I know we can both argue I'm gonna die and ill say I'm gonna be safe. But neither will win. I'm payin for the bike, gear, insurance, msf instructional and defensive driving courses. But My parents won't talk til I have money in hand. I was just wanting your honest opinion on the bikes or if there's any others you would recommend. But I know the gsxr isn't one but I really like the headlights on both sides of the front (kinda like eyes) instead. Thanks..

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
Buy a used 2008+ Kawasaki 250R. You can find them all day for $2- $3k. That will allow you to have dirt cheap insurance, learn to ride and then be able to sell the bike for what you paid. It's a safe win win. Don't take the path less traveled. It will be an easier learning curve. You have plenty of living ahead of you.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Based on what you've written, it looks like you've read enough on this forum to know exactly what people will say, and you already have convinced yourself that you're a special snowflake and all the usual advice doesn't apply to you.

But just to be certain:

1) a 600 supersport is not a good choice for a beginning rider.

2) a 600 supersport is not an economy vehicle.

But if you've already made up your mind, have fun and good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I know it'll be cheap but, aren't parts expensive on the newer bikes? And how can that keep up at highway speeds? I've heard if you get in a bind a 250 can't give you that extra kick to get you out of there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your right, I've been reading forums, doing research, and findin statistics, also found that some say the older 600s are slightly beginner tolerable. Not bad as a 2009 600rr for example. Are any of the 3 better? Heard good things bout the f4i

·
Are we not men?
9,013 Posts
1) You're full of shit.

2) Nobody's going to tell you anything.

3) You have no idea how much you don't know.

You rode a 250 motard...bravo. That bike made 25-30 HP at the crank. An F4i, R6 or GSXR put down around 100 HP at the rear wheel - crank numbers would be about 15% higher. These were the factory racebikes of their day. Where that motard was running out of steam, the 600's are just really coming alive - like someone flipped a switch. My F4i will do about 72 in 1st gear, nearly 100 in 2nd. The steering geometry can be very intimidating and downright twitchy to an inexperienced rider. The brakes are very likely unlike anything you've ever experienced.

Can you buy one and live? Yes, very likely. Can it scare the shit out of you? I've seen it more than once. Will you learn more faster and have more fun following the advise in the above stickies? Definitely.

We see the same bullshit arguments every year at this time. What makes you think you're any more special? Why does everyone always have to reinvent the wheel? Don't you suppose some of the people on this site before you have learned the hard way and would rather someone else not have to repeat the same mistakes?

Suit yourself.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Blah blah bla de bla bla blah.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your right there's tons I don't know about bikes. And I never said I was special. Just that I've had some experience on something with 2 wheels. And I know you get posts like this all the time. But I just want to know.. If I get in a tough situation where I need a quick get away or I'm toast. Can a 250 do it? Can it make those spit second reactions and get me out quick? I honestly don't know.. Do you?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Your right there's tons I don't know about bikes. And I never said I was special. Just that I've had some experience on something with 2 wheels. And I know you get posts like this all the time. But I just want to know.. If I get in a tough situation where I need a quick get away or I'm toast. Can a 250 do it? Can it make those spit second reactions and get me out quick? I honestly don't know.. Do you?
Yes. The newer 250s will hit 100 MPH. They're faster than 80% of the cars commonly driven every day all over America. You're in the ideal size range for that bike. If you're going to be doing a lot of freeway riding, get a 500. That's it. No b***** than that, and certainly not not an SS.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Ok, let me start off by telling about myself. I'm 19, 5'9 160 ish. I'm going to be going to a b***** college in like 1 1/2 years and want a bike because I've always wanted one and to save gas for around campus. The college is in a rural area. I'm gonna say what every new squid says. I'm gonna get a 600 for my first bike. I've been riding my friends 250 (idk what kind but it looks like a street legal dirtbike) and I shifted, used throttle and rode comfortably on my first time. Not saying I'm a pro but I kinda impressed myself. I'm looking at a 2001-2006 f4i, gsxr 600 or r6. And I was just wondering what your thoughts were. And I know we can both argue I'm gonna die and ill say I'm gonna be safe. But neither will win. I'm payin for the bike, gear, insurance, msf instructional and defensive driving courses. But My parents won't talk til I have money in hand. I was just wanting your honest opinion on the bikes or if there's any others you would recommend. But I know the gsxr isn't one but I really like the headlights on both sides of the front (kinda like eyes) instead. Thanks..
Just wondering. What is your budget for a bike, and how much do you plan on paying for insurance?

·
Registered
917 Posts
But I just want to know.. If I get in a tough situation where I need a quick get away or I'm toast. Can a 250 do it? Can it make those spit second reactions and get me out quick? I honestly don't know.. Do you?
Yes, a Ninja 250 can swerve and comes equipped with brakes. I believe the CBR250 can do the same and has brakes too, but I've never owned one so I can't say for sure.

·
NO LAG !!!
1,255 Posts
Yea I know it'll be cheap but, aren't parts expensive on the newer bikes? And how can that keep up at highway speeds? I've heard if you get in a bind a 250 can't give you that extra kick to get you out of there.
250's are cheap and so are the parts. Lay a 600 down and plan on paying $3k to get it back to like new. I ride 2 up and it will hold as indicated 84 mph on a zero inclined road with 240lbs me and 130lbs wife. A 250 may lack torque, but it will top out around 100mph. Power can help you get out of harms way, but it can also put you literally in it. I've seen too much happen to younger riders and I hope that you take the time to get one and do some track days with a 250. It will make you a much better rider.

·
Registered
917 Posts
But aren't the newer model 250s really expensive to repair? Cause I'd be bound to drop it or something happen
Not sure what would make them harder to repair than a supersport. If that's your concern then get an older one.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dont own a bike so my opinion is basically invalid here...

But I just want to ask If he is set on getting a 600 and you wont change his mind which seems to be the case.. would it not be better to recommend he ride his friends bike some more to get experience (if his friend is ok with it obviously) instead of wasting your own and his time?

I fail to see how street riding experience on a ninja 250 is better than a dual sport or supermoto...Hell if I was gonna get a 250 it would be a dual sport or supermoto... ninja 250s really serve no purpose in my mind they are "sportbikes" (kind of) and they are slow.. what an oxymoron

Ive never ridden a dual sport or a ninja 250 but common sense would say that a dual sport can do everything the ninja 250 can do and more... and probably do most things better than a ninja 250 especially if its a supermoto

I Just fail to see the ninja 250s purpose for existence honestly

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
Anyone who tells a new rider that you need that extra kick to get you out of a situation is an idiot. That 'extra kick' will get you killed a thousand times more often than it will get you out of a situation.

A second generation ('08+) Ninja 250 will be far cheaper to own and maintain than the years of 600 that you're looking at, likely any years once you figure in insurance, gas mileage, speeding tickets, and maintenance.

Again, get that needing power to get out of a bad situation idea out of your head. You'll swerve or brake to avoid a bad situation far, far, far, far, far, far, far (you get the idea) more often than you'll use the throttle.

I'm quite a bit larger than you are and started off riding a Ninja 250. I owned it for a year and rode it almost 15,000 miles. I did a few multiday trips on it, three track days, and it held up to daily 50 mile highway commutes. It would take my 200lb fat ass to triple digits (actual speed), its 0-60 acceleration was better than many cars on the road, and maintenance was dirt cheap.

I dont own a bike so my opinion is basically invalid here...

But I just want to ask If he is set on getting a 600 and you wont change his mind which seems to be the case.. would it not be better to recommend he ride his friends bike some more to get experience (if his friend is ok with it obviously) instead of wasting your own and his time?

I fail to see how street riding experience on a ninja 250 is better than a dual sport or supermoto...Hell if I was gonna get a 250 it would be a dual sport or supermoto... ninja 250s really serve no purpose in my mind they are "sportbikes" (kind of) and they are slow.. what an oxymoron

Ive never ridden a dual sport or a ninja 250 but common sense would say that a dual sport can do everything the ninja 250 can do and more... and probably do most things better than a ninja 250 especially if its a supermoto

I Just fail to see the ninja 250s purpose for existence honestly
Ergonomics are different than a dual sport, gearing is different, purpose is different, and for the OP specifically, we're not saying that experience on the street on a dual sport doesn't count... It's just that his experience is so minimal that it doesn't really count.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts