Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry but this is my very first bike EVER. I rode 4 wheelers and stuff as a kid but nothing compares to this. I just rode around my parking lot like 500 times trying to get used to the gears, clutch, turn signals, braking, etc etc ect...

It has to be the most awesome feeling ever. I can't stop smiling. There was some people kinda mocking my cause I was going slow and I had my helmet and riding jacket on. But I don't care cause if I went down I wanted the most protection possible. I must have rode around my apt. complex for like an hour. I feel relatively comfortable with the gears, signals, and all. Braking is taking some getting used to. I favor the front brake wayyyyy to much, and I have a hard time remembering what gear I am in. I can't wait to ride another day. Don't worry scuffed knees my relatively new found confidence is no substitute for professional help or the MSF class. Which I still plan on attending when ever I can. I am sure none of you really care, but I had to tell someone.
 

·
Back in Black
Joined
·
5,538 Posts
Unless you're doing stoppies or sliding the front tire, you're likely not using the front TOO much. Something like 70%+ of your braking power comes from the front.

Glad to here you're on it. Ride safe and keep the shiny side up. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
157 Posts
I think we've all been in your shoes (riding for the 1st time) so we know the excitement you're feeling. And don't worry about the people in the parking lot, when you ride with us sometime, i'm sure gixxer27519 will show you how to salute the people who were mocking you. :twofinger

Keep the wheels on the ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
552 Posts
Hey I kinda like the front brake, hense the name :banana :lol

Congrats on the first ride. I know how ya feel. I did the exact same thing when I first started. Does your complex have speed bumps in it? Anyone can go fast, but not everyone can go slow. You need to learn to balance that bike at real slow speeds. The key to that is the rear brake, so get used to it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
EndoChic said:
Hey I kinda like the front brake, hense the name :banana :lol

Congrats on the first ride. I know how ya feel. I did the exact same thing when I first started. Does your complex have speed bumps in it? Anyone can go fast, but not everyone can go slow. You need to learn to balance that bike at real slow speeds. The key to that is the rear brake, so get used to it.

yeah my apt. complex has a bunch of speed bumps. I didn't get above 25 at all the whole time. I was surprised at how smooth the bike felt going over bumps and things like that. You couldn't even feel the bumps at all. Over all I am really impressed with how the 500 handled. One thing that took a little while to get used to is leaning when trying to turn. I found if I just tried to turn the handle bars it would fight me, but if I leaned and turned it was smooth. At first I was a little uneasy with it, but got more comfortable with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
cool! i rode around our neighborhood for a few weeks...don't worry bout everyone else...if they think anything bad about what ur doing its b/c they have no bike!! so, fuck em!! they're JEALOUS!! and should be!! glad you had a good time!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,101 Posts
sukemecuke said:
Over all I am really impressed with how the 500 handled. One thing that took a little while to get used to is leaning when trying to turn. I found if I just tried to turn the handle bars it would fight me, but if I leaned and turned it was smooth. At first I was a little uneasy with it, but got more comfortable with it.
Make sure you are acutely familiar with countersteering, it is a little unnerving doing it at first, but after you get the hang of it you'll be doing it all the time. You dont have to physically lean the bike over, you just have to turn the handlebars in the opposite direction to where you want to go and the bike will lean over on its own. Make sure you slow down to a controllable speed before you hit the corners, braking or attempting to slow the bike down during the turn is fraught with risks, and all kinds of ugly painful things are liable to happen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
sukemecuke said:
y I didn't get above 25 at all the whole time.

One thing that took a little while to get used to is leaning when trying to turn. I found if I just tried to turn the handle bars it would fight me, but if I leaned and turned it was smooth.
Glad to see you having fun, did Scuffed knee come help out? Front brake is all you really need, IMO. How is your turning left/right from a dead stop??
You think you had a big smile riding that day. Wait until you hit a nice lean at 60 MPH. You'll smile harder than the kool aid man. :lol

Remembering gears will come to you really quick when you get on the street. Alot of times i remmeber what gear Im in simply based upon how fast I was going and what the engine sounded like LOL.

REMEMBER - one thing i want you to keep in the back of your head. Dont forget to downshift on hills. About a week ago im going through Downtown Raleigh heading south. I think i was in 4th gear and there is a 2 turn curve going up a hill when u 1st enter Downtown from the North. A big vehicle was blocking the right lane so everyone was merging over, I had to do a semi hard stop but still was moving slowly, looked over and saw a spot for me, proceeded to throttle and move over and stalled hard. :urowned My Brain froze, i tried starting up ASAP and going and ended up stalling again. Still hadnt downshifted. :bitchslap Shifted into 1st, started up, gas.... and then stalled again. Its funny now but then it was horrendous. Pride got shot to shit BUT I learned something valuable. Now everytime i hit a hill I think about what gear Im in and what gear I'll need to be.

Did you have any spare time to go check out those books?
 

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
Joined
·
3,067 Posts
gixxer42 said:
I think we've all been in your shoes (riding for the 1st time) so we know the excitement you're feeling. And don't worry about the people in the parking lot, when you ride with us sometime, i'm sure gixxer27519 will show you how to salute the people who were mocking you. :twofinger

Keep the wheels on the ground.

YES!!! A reference to me!!! Yeah im a little cager aggressive at times..but just stay away from the front of them and their blind sides and you're usually ok. Have you atleast gotten your permit yet? Once you have, we can cruise around the jordan lake area, nice roads, minimal traffic, lots of bugs.

PLEASE BE SAFE!!

We are all a family on bikes, and when someone gets hurt its like a family member going down.

Thinkin about riding for a little while tonight.. maybe...let me know.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
bugeyed said:
Make sure you are acutely familiar with countersteering, it is a little unnerving doing it at first, but after you get the hang of it you'll be doing it all the time. You dont have to physically lean the bike over, you just have to turn the handlebars in the opposite direction to where you want to go and the bike will lean over on its own. Make sure you slow down to a controllable speed before you hit the corners, braking or attempting to slow the bike down during the turn is fraught with risks, and all kinds of ugly painful things are liable to happen.

don't know exactly what you are talking about, but I kinda have an understanding of what you mean I think. Turning just came natural after a while and I don't even know what I am really doing every step of the turn. I did slow down before the turns, however I was only going 25 max. Thanks for the input.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SnookayDCC said:
Glad to see you having fun, did Scuffed knee come help out? Front brake is all you really need, IMO. How is your turning left/right from a dead stop??
You think you had a big smile riding that day. Wait until you hit a nice lean at 60 MPH. You'll smile harder than the kool aid man. :lol

Remembering gears will come to you really quick when you get on the street. Alot of times i remmeber what gear Im in simply based upon how fast I was going and what the engine sounded like LOL.

REMEMBER - one thing i want you to keep in the back of your head. Dont forget to downshift on hills. About a week ago im going through Downtown Raleigh heading south. I think i was in 4th gear and there is a 2 turn curve going up a hill when u 1st enter Downtown from the North. A big vehicle was blocking the right lane so everyone was merging over, I had to do a semi hard stop but still was moving slowly, looked over and saw a spot for me, proceeded to throttle and move over and stalled hard. :urowned My Brain froze, i tried starting up ASAP and going and ended up stalling again. Still hadnt downshifted. :bitchslap Shifted into 1st, started up, gas.... and then stalled again. Its funny now but then it was horrendous. Pride got shot to shit BUT I learned something valuable. Now everytime i hit a hill I think about what gear Im in and what gear I'll need to be.

Did you have any spare time to go check out those books?

no scuffed knee didn't come out, however I wanted to ride and nothing was gonna stop me. I had spent the last couple of hours making my of fender elimnator thingy. So I wanted to ride it. Its amazing how much better it looks, and how different it looks. I have yet had any time to get to the book store. It doesn't look like I will get there this week either. I have school tonight, homework I have to do tomorrow night, my nieces birthday in statesville this weekend, and work every spare second in between. Man my life didn't use to be this busy when I was younger that is for sure.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
gixxer27519 said:
YES!!! A reference to me!!! Yeah im a little cager aggressive at times..but just stay away from the front of them and their blind sides and you're usually ok. Have you atleast gotten your permit yet? Once you have, we can cruise around the jordan lake area, nice roads, minimal traffic, lots of bugs.

PLEASE BE SAFE!!

We are all a family on bikes, and when someone gets hurt its like a family member going down.

Thinkin about riding for a little while tonight.. maybe...let me know.

I haven't gotten my license as of yet. I haven't even had time to go to the dmv and have the title work done yet. I just got my bike insured this past saturday. Yeah I work in apex so I know of the roads you are talking about. Trust me the last thing I wanna do is get hurt. My fiancee did not want me to get a bike, hell she doesn't even know that I have bought one yet. But the agreement with us is if I get hurt I will sell the bike. So safety is my #1 priority.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,101 Posts
sukemecuke said:
don't know exactly what you are talking about, but I kinda have an understanding of what you mean I think. Turning just came natural after a while and I don't even know what I am really doing every step of the turn. I did slow down before the turns, however I was only going 25 max. Thanks for the input.
When I am back on my bike again, we'll go to a parking lot somewhere and I will show you exactly what I am talking about and how to do it. They teach you this in MSF class, if you plan to take that you will learn it there, if not then we'll see what we can accomplish.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
791 Posts
I found a goodie someone else posted A lil while ago.

decius said:
Outside of things that you'll learn on the MSF anyway, here are some things which I repeatedly ran through my head when learning:

1. Know, understand, and practice countersteering. Make sure it's instinct for that emergency where you don't have time to think about it.

2. Look where you want to go. This is incredibly important. It's amazing how many times this can get you out of trouble when going wide in a turn starting out. Look through the turn and your bike will go there. Look at the shoulder that you're trying to avoid, and your bike will go there too....

3. Trust your tires. I don't mean to lean the thing so far over you're dragging parts, but in most cases for newbies, you're not actually leaned over as far as you think. Trust the bike that it will stick. You most likely still have a lot further you can lean (even though it probably won't feel like it when you're panicking).

4. Expect everyone to try to kill you. Be aware, and drive defensively.

#2 is so true. My bike + the ditch can testify to that.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
will keep those in mind. I plan on riding around my apt. complex again for a little while tomorrow. If I get confident enough I may make a very very short trip to the gas station that is down the street. using the least traveled roads possible. Don't exactly know how much gas I have left.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
Originally Posted by decius
Outside of things that you'll learn on the MSF anyway, here are some things which I repeatedly ran through my head when learning:

1. Know, understand, and practice countersteering. Make sure it's instinct for that emergency where you don't have time to think about it.

2. Look where you want to go. This is incredibly important. It's amazing how many times this can get you out of trouble when going wide in a turn starting out. Look through the turn and your bike will go there. Look at the shoulder that you're trying to avoid, and your bike will go there too....

3. Trust your tires. I don't mean to lean the thing so far over you're dragging parts, but in most cases for newbies, you're not actually leaned over as far as you think. Trust the bike that it will stick. You most likely still have a lot further you can lean (even though it probably won't feel like it when you're panicking).

4. Expect everyone to try to kill you. Be aware, and drive defensively.


#2 is so true. My bike + the ditch can testify to that.
:lol yeh, so can mine!!!
these are very good pointers
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yay!!! Just got back from my second ride tonight. I left the apt. complex but didn't venture far since I don't have plates nor am I that capable yet. There is a little side street attached to my apt complex that attaches to another so I rode down there through that apt. complex turned back around and rode back out and again and again etc. I am getting pretty good from starting from a stop, and turning while going slow. Although turning sharp while going slow I need to practice some more. I may go back out in a couple of minutes and try starting from a dead stop on a hill in the other apt. complex. I got up to 45 tonight and I must say it felt like I was going 80. I am soooo surprised with the kinda power this little 500 has. I don't think I would have been happy with a 250 that is for sure.
 

·
Crunnnnnnnnnnnnchy
Joined
·
3,067 Posts
You and Mike are gonna be so cute together :)
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top