Sport Bikes banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a friend of mine, who has never ridden a motorcycle before in his life, bought an '05 ZX-6R today. He called me and asked me if I would meet him at the bike shop to look at the bike that he was thinking of buying. I told him that I would, and rode over to the bike shop. When I got there, he showed me the brand new orange ZX-6R that he wanted. I told him that he should buy the Kawasaki Ninja 250, which they had in silver and blue. He said that he couldn't ride something so ugly, and that he would outgrow it too soon. After walking around the store for a while and trying to convince him, I finally gave up. I tried to get 5 or 6 people to agree with me that the ZX-6R is a bad bike to learn on, but the people working at the shop must have some sort of pact that they won't ruin a sale. None of them would agree with me, and the worst comment I could get out of any of them was that the bike couldn't kill him any worse than any other bike. Oh well, now he has a brand new bike with 12 miles on the clock sitting in the middle of his living room of his apartment. He has a helmet, gloves, and a brand new $400 Kawasaki leather jacket and is scheduled to take the MSF beginner course on Aug 26, 27, and 28. After that, he will get his license. He said that he isn't going to ride it before then...we'll see. Is there anything more I could have or should have done to stop him?

·
Registered
31 Posts
He sounds like he's got a head on his shoulders anyway. Taking the MSF course, has gear etc. You couldn't really have done anything extra. I'd suggest imprinting on him NOW the importance of gear. That and ride with him to keep him from doing stupid stuff.

Best luck to him, it's a nice bike.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On a side note...it was so hard to keep it below 6000 RPM. That bike doesn't even start making power until 8000 RPM. I would like to ride it again after the break-in period. I bet she screams at 14,000 RPM!

·
Premium Member
7,390 Posts
It sounds like you did everything you could to persuade him from buying the 636. All you can do now is try to help him learn the proper wayto ride.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah...I wish I knew someone that had a Ninja 250R that he could borrow for a couple of days. Does anyone rent them? I know you can rent them at the beach, but that's 6 hours away.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a picture...

Too bad his apartment is such a mess...maybe this will be motivation for him to clean it up!

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Was my next bike of choice since previously owning a ninja. Nice bike and I wish your friend a fast learning curve.

·
King of Oilernation
1,237 Posts
Sweet bike, Hopefully he is a quick learner. I learned on a 600F2 13 years ago and never had a problem.

·
Registered
252 Posts
You did the best you could, now just be sure to have a camcorder handy when he takes his first ride :)

·
Light it up! Light it up!
1,459 Posts
Jake said:
It sounds like you did everything you could to persuade him from buying the 636. All you can do now is try to help him learn the proper wayto ride.
+1

no sense in beating the guy up about it now that it's said and done, just try to convince him now to wear gear and learn to walk before he runs.

I've personally given up on preaching about gear and start small. If someone asks my opinion, I let them know what I think, but I don't push the issue if it is obvious they aren't going to listen or change anyway.

·
seigwailo
1,511 Posts
Hey, what you need to do now is ride with him and supervise so to speak and show him good riding practise. He may very well be ok on the bike.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I did push the issue...now I will try to help. I will feel bad, but I won't feel responsible if he wrecks it. He's a big boy...he made his decision...I did what I could.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I would tell ur friend to take off ALL the fairings for a month. Then after he falls or somethings he'll be that much happier. hopefully he wont but damn he'll be on new tires, and on a strong bike... I lowsided from target fixation, wasnt mad just happy as hell my bike was naked.

BTW what was his OTD price ?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Screw taking all of the fairings off!

Put on a set of frame sliders and swing arm sliders to protect it from some damage but don't go trashing the frame, triple tree, etc by letting the bike go down without the fairings..
Fairings may be expensive but at least you can replace them rather easily.

As for your buddy, just be patient as he's learning - don't go too fast or turn too hard when your with him so he isn't tempted to emulate you until he's ready.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If your friend is serious about not riding it, will he let you keep the keys safe until he passes the MSF? That should help remove the temptation to ride before he has the class completed...

It might work...

You could also help him choose some frame sliders too...

Show him how to ride safely.

·
Registered
430 Posts
he seemed pretty set on getting that bike and there probably wasn't anything you could have done to stop him from getting it. Now that he has it like everyone has been saying just be a good example.. take him on some rides but moderate the pace for his skill level and he should be alright.

p.s. NICE BIKE!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
He's a grown ass man that could get hurt/die just as easy on the ninja 250 that you suggested. An idiot will be an idiot even if they are riding a tricycle. Let him ride what he wants.

·
Smiley Gladhands
3,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
scorpion12 said:
If your friend is serious about not riding it, will he let you keep the keys safe until he passes the MSF? That should help remove the temptation to ride before he has the class completed...

It might work...

You could also help him choose some frame sliders too...

Show him how to ride safely.
We had to get it up two steps to get it into his apartment. He can't get it out of there without me. :)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts