Sport Bikes banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured this was the best place to learn all about what's preferred by different experienced riders of different skills/heights etc.

I'm 6'2" so not too short :fiddy

Hello all

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well what experience do you have with road bikes? Also how much do you weigh?
Well currently I have very little.

I'm 175 pounds, I keep hearing people recommend starting on a 250 but they seem very weak...I don't want to need to re sell after 2 months.

I am doing the msf and there is a lot of hours of riding time.

Think this will prepare me enough to get a 600cc?

·
Registered
110 Posts
No, Id go with a 500 such as a Suzuki gs500 or a ninja ex500, they are both standard riding positions with a sporty look.
They are more comfortable for taller people and have a midrange of power. They top out at around 120ish depending on your size. A 600 is a race ready bike with mirrors normally. People will argue till they are blue in the face that they are responsible, but even on a 250 I've seen guys drop bikes because the idea of smooth clutch and throttle was alien to them.
A motorcycle is nothing like a car, you want to learn muscle memory with a smaller bike. Anyone can ride straight, but when you hit a turn if you slip your hand on a 600 you can get thrown into the ditch or another lane. Ive rode dirt bikes 12 years and smaller sport bikes for 5+. Hopping on a 600 was even weird for me considering the power they have.

If you have any questions that aren't about wheelies most people will enjoy helping. Suzuki imo looks better, but the ninja is more reliable.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So if I got one of those first and learn, am I still too tall for a 600cc in the future? Does no one here ride one at my height?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Far from, my friend had size 14 feet so a 250 felt clunky. The 500 got comfortable when he figured out how to site. He has no problems with his r6. He's 6,3ish. Hell you could try a 250, but most people get bored. I'm suggesting realisiticly if you plan on keeping it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
depends on your inseam and how much bend your knees can handle for however long. height of a 600 won't be a prob, but if you are long-legged, your knees will not like you for long being cramped up. sit on a lot of bikes and find out what "might" be comfy and if you are allowed to take some test rides... TAKE THEM!!! riding down the road does NOT compare to sitting on the showroom floor. also, reach to the handlebars can be an issue. if you are tall, hope your arms are long otherwise you will be bent over and better have strong ab and leg muscles to keep you from putting all your weight on your wrists...which can cause pain down the road...

all this info can be taken with a grain of salt since you should really stay away from 600s til you get some experience. once you reach that point, then really do some research.

a 500 will do you good. and then maybe jump up to an SV650 or Kawi 650.

but hey, what do i know. you might be that special snowflake that has awesome skills and jump on a 600 and be just fine. just make sure to let us know when ya get your 600 so we can hover around to grab up all the pieces.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like the idea of starting with a 500. That seems good.

Have they been out for a while? The problem with some new cc bikes is the used market is not very big.

I don't really want to go new for my first bike, seems like a bad idea.

What 500's do you recommend I could find used?

Thanks guys

·
Registered
848 Posts
i would hope you didn't buy new. Used is the best way to go for a first bike. and for MANY reasons. lower insurance, lower payments (if you have to have a loan), will make you cry less when it kisses pavement since it's already used and may have a few scratches. ...etc, etc...

·
Registered
110 Posts
GS500 or EX500 are your only two options, both can be found for under 2500$ used atleast in my area in great conditions with like 6k miles.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Check for leaks, cold starts, make sure all lights work, just common sensse stuff.
My buddy I'm getting into riding is getting an ex500 soon. Curious to see how they ride over 2 hrs when I ride it home for him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Check for leaks, cold starts, make sure all lights work, just common sensse stuff.
My buddy I'm getting into riding is getting an ex500 soon. Curious to see how they ride over 2 hrs when I ride it home for him.
Really liking the idea of a 500r, can't find it quite as cheap as where you are so far but we'll see.

Not feeling getting a 250, its suggested a lot but I don't know, won't get enough time with it.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but I read the ex500/gs500 insure as a touring bike and not a sport bike. That'd be nice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts