Sport Bikes banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is it the street or race version? Where I live there is no emissions testing on bikes and we dont have CARB here so I was thinking about the race one just to not limit my possibilities, but if its base tune isnt for a stock bike then I might have to go with the street one.

·
Registered
214 Posts
It is the race version, it says off road use only. In California the EX version is the CARB legal one and DO NOT have that one. Mine came with a map for a stock bike and I feel there is a good improvement.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I got my PCIII yesterday. A CD comes with the unit, that has an assortment of MAP programs that can be downloaded to the PCIII. The only 2 that are useful are the 'standard' MAP, and the one for Scorpion exhausts. Make sure you have a 9v battery handy, as you'll need it to power-up the PCIII to do the downloads if it's off the bike.
I will be installing it this weekend, and will report on its effectiveness.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ok...I installed my PCIII on my 06 FZ6 w/Scorpions this morning. It's an easy install, but the PCIII doesn't fit very well into the upper portion of the 'tool tray' as suggested in the instructions. I installed it sideways under the left side bungee strap next to the tool kit.
Upon starting my bike, I noticed right away that it was idling faster, and that the throttle response was more crisp.
I switched the engine off and reassembled all the bits that I took off to install the PCIII.
When I tried to restart the engine, it wouldn't start properly...I could get it running, but as soon as I let closed the throttle, the motor quit. I really thought something was amiss.
I waited for a few minutes and hit the starter again. The motor fired up right away and idled perfectly, although it idled faster than before when cold. I took it for a spin around the block a few times to warm it up and noticed that the motor had more "giddy-up" at around 4000 rpm than it did before. Once the motor was at working temperature I checked the idle, and it was idling at around 1050 to 1100 rpm. I screwed in the idle adjustment knob until it was idling around 1280 to 1320 rpm. I then went for about a 2 hour ride, and can confirm that the motor runs MUCH smoother with the PCIII installed. The slow-speed "snatch" in the driveline is gone, as is most of the backfiring in the exhaust. The motor pulls with authority from 4000 rpm in any gear, which it didn't do before.
I think it's running a bit rich at idle/just over idle, which I may have adjusted by a tuning shop with a dyno if the spirit moves me. Overall, I'm quite satisfied that the $300 for the Power Commander III was worth it.
The peculiar no-start that I experienced this morning didn't occur again today. I let the bike cool down for about 2 hours this afternoon and it fired up right away and settled to a smooth idle immediately. I'll see how it starts after being parked all night.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well, the Power Commander MAP shows a richening of the mixture pretty much across the board at each stage of throttle opening and RPM, so I'm expecting that I'll be using more gas. I filled my bike up today during my road test, so I'll report back with the mileage (kilometerage) that I'm getting.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Just installed mine, haven't taken it out for a ride, but I noticed that it idled smoother and lower at 1150-1200 rather than 1400-1500, which always seemed high to me. The throttle response was noticeably better even if just sitting on the center stand and in N.

Was hoping to take it to work tomorrow but they are saying its going to be in the 30s tonight and I really don't like riding when its under 50 in the morning. I should have a full report on Tuesday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
PCIII for 2007

I just bought a 2007 and am wondering if the 07 has the same issues. The marketing lingo seems to indicate that they made mapping changes to address the issue but I wonder how successful they were. I have not ridden it yet as it has been cold and rainy since I bought the bike. Any thoughts on if a PCIII would be worth it for an 07?

·
Registered
97 Posts
I was able to ride to work one day this week but it did ride much better. There is still a bit of a flat spot but no where near as much as it used to be and its funny how much more confidence I have in the bike now. I should have done this two years ago.

I did notice that it seems to run a bit rich at idle and if I am at a stop light with a tail wind I can smell the unburnt gas.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed a PC3 with a stock map today. (She has only K&N filter on her)
I didn't have time to test it yet. But it sounds like it is better than before.
I wonder if CO settings are still affective after PC3 installation.
Did you reset CO settings to zero before installation?

Fazil
Fz6-2005

·
Squidly Tendencies ...
247 Posts
I just installed the PC3 I got off another member here. I loaded up the Leo Vince map for 2004-2008 ... they had one for with baffles as well but it said it was only for 04-06 so I didn't load that one. What I notice is that the bike idles smoother (what some others have mentioned), it got rid of a flat spot I think I had in the mid range and it quieted down the exhaust. Where before it sounded a bit "airy" it now sounds 'full' for lack of better terms...

41 - 53 of 53 Posts