Sport Bikes banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my first bike was a Duct 750SS. Long story short, after about a year I had a pretty bad crash...I was stationed in Italy, and some old lady decided to pull out in front of me. I ended up with a plate and some srews in my shoulder, but not anything too bad. Bad part was, my wife was in the car behind me and saw the whole thing. I got the "you can't have any more bikes speach" for a long time. Well, that was 2000, and now I finally got the better half to say "OK". Now, my question is what do oyu guys think about me getting the new ZX6R? I looked at the CBR600R and the R6, but I think I like the Kawi better. I haven't ridden much since 2000, but that why I'm asking for opinions? So what do you think.......

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
Difficult decision. Why not an older (mid to late-90's) 600, just to take a little of the edge off of the balls-to-the-walls-ness of the bike--especially since you haven't ridden in five years?

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
How many miles did you wind up putting on the Duc?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Krik said:
How many miles did you wind up putting on the Duc?
Well, without pulling out my old paperwork, I would say in the neighborhood of 8000-9000. I pretty much rode everyday unless it was raining, and even some days when it was...

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
That's not a tremendous amount of experience but it is definitely helpful. And that was in Italy so I'd give you more points there, too.

I say go for it.

If you are deadset on a brand new 600, then the new 6r isn't a bad choice as long as you respect it. Of course, you know it would put your 750SS to shame.

But consider taking the MSF course to get a refresher? Esp. if you haven't thrown a leg over a bike in 5 years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Krik said:
That's not a tremendous amount of experience but it is definitely helpful. And that was in Italy so I'd give you more points there, too.

I say go for it.

If you are deadset on a brand new 600, then the new 6r isn't a bad choice as long as you respect it. Of course, you know it would put your 750SS to shame.

But consider taking the MSF course to get a refresher? Esp. if you haven't thrown a leg over a bike in 5 years.
yeah, I took a MSF course in Italy on base, but that was in 99. the old duct wasn't the fastest, but it looked damn good. I really want a 2000-2003 748, but they are hard to find around here. Atleast with lower miles. I'm not dead set on anything in paticular, but I like the Kawi better than the CBR and R6. I guess it's just the look. I really like the exhaust piped under the seat. If anyone knows of a good Duct around Charleston SC give me a shout...

·
Ducati Twins Rock
267 Posts
What year was your 750? A buddy of mine has a 95 900SS/SP and it's in pretty mint shape. The previous owner put alot of work into it, inc. Marchesini mag. wheels. He picked it up for about $5k.

·
Registered
346 Posts
with those kind of miles I don't see a big issue with a zx6r. Be careful when you get on it and go pick up "Sportriding techniques" or something like it to get mentally prepared and as a refresher. At least that's what I would do.

Good luck, be safe, have fun :)

Bjorn

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
If you have a plate in your shoulder, it might be a good idea to try and get a test ride before you buy a bike. Most of the modern 600's have aggressive riding positions.

·
Sport Tourer
1,729 Posts
I didn't quite realize how many miles you put on the bike. You'll be fine. Go grab yourself a bike that suits you, hop her over to a parking lot, practice your turns, panic stops, and whatnot, and then go have FUN!

Quit posting on the forum and go get a bike! :dblthumb

1 - 12 of 12 Posts