Sport Bikes banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dont know when, but i heard they passed the law where neons and LED lights are now legal in PA. ( motorcycles only if anyone cares) But you can now use them while riding at night. I just bought the 7 color 8 light set from lizzard lights.

Just thought i would pass it on.

·
So much cooler online
2,240 Posts
This is true. Passed last year. This is about a year old, but I don't think much has changed:

PRIOR PRINTER'S NO. 1024 PRINTER'S NO. 3978
THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF PENNSYLVANIA
HOUSE BILL
No. 901 Session of
INTRODUCED BY BENNINGHOFF, BALDWIN, BEBKO-JONES, CALTAGIRONE,
CREIGHTON, DENLINGER, FLEAGLE, GEIST, HUTCHINSON, KILLION,
KIRKLAND, McILHATTAN, R. MILLER, PICKETT, READSHAW, ROHRER,
SAINATO, SATHER, SCAVELLO, SOLOBAY, TIGUE, WASHINGTON, WILT,
YOUNGBLOOD, HESS, M. KELLER AND SIPTROTH, MARCH 14, 2005
AS REPORTED FROM COMMITTEE ON TRANSPORTATION, HOUSE OF
REPRESENTATIVES, AS AMENDED, APRIL 26, 2006
AN ACT
1 Amending Title 75 (Vehicles) of the Pennsylvania Consolidated
2 Statutes, providing for lighting on motorcycles.
3 The General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
4 hereby enacts as follows:
5 Section 1. Title 75 of the Pennsylvania Consolidated
6 Statutes is amended by adding a section to read:
_____________________________ 7 § 4310. Motorcycle lighting.
__________________________________________________________ 8 Auxiliary lighting may be added to a motorcycle to protect
__________________________________________________________ 9 the driver, including blue dot illumination, standard bulb
____________________________________________________________ 10 running lights and various colors of valve stem caps, light- <
________________________________________________________________ 11 emitting diode (LED) pods and strips, light wire, neon tubes and <
______________ 12 strobe lights.
13 Section 2. This act shall take effect in 60 days.
A28L75BIL/20050H0901B3978

·
you smokin track?
868 Posts
Scott_R6 said:
not my cup of tea so I could care less
scott you are just mad cause you already took off those pink neons. stop giving the kid a hard time.

·
Dongsy Normous
745 Posts
yeah come on scott. first time i met you you had LED's all over your bike, could barely see the frame.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Thanks for the PDF file

FZ6-KEP said:
Here is the PDF file
Thanks for posting the PDF file. It shows that you are allowed blue-dot lights, standard bulb running lights, LED pods and strips, but NOT valve stem lights, strobe lights, neon or light wire.

I didn't know that LED pods and strips were previously illegal, so this doesn't really mean much to me. Neons on a cycle do look kind of cool, in an 80's type of way.....

·
I own license2ill
5,679 Posts
Thanks for posting up. I am just getting ready to put the bike back together and thats going to save me some tare down time.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I think that the site isn't up to date

jim schmidt said:
PENDOT hosts the vehicle code online at http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/vehicle_code/index.shtml

If you look, you will see that there is no Title 75, Section 4310. That would indicate that this bill never passed. Are you sure it became law?
Jim,
I think that the site simply wasn't updated yet. If you look here at title 75:

http://www.dmv.state.pa.us/pdotforms/vehicle_code/chapter43.pdf

You'll see that chapter 43 goes up to section 4309, so 4310 would be the next one.

Searching the state's legislative site, I found this:
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/BI/BH/2005/0/HB0901.HTM

Which says that it was approved by the big man governor (literally) himself.

·
Registered
18,682 Posts
jrevans said:
Jim,
...Searching the state's legislative site, I found this:
http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/BI/BH/2005/0/HB0901.HTM

Which says that it was approved by the big man governor (literally) himself.
Yep. Those would be all the steps for a bill to be passed. Kinda lame that it doesn't show up on the official website yet. But in doing the research, I discovered that Pennsylvania seems to be kinda lame about making Code available on the internet.

Anyway... Light 'em up!

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Agreed

jim schmidt said:
Yep. Those would be all the steps for a bill to be passed. Kinda lame that it doesn't show up on the official website yet. But in doing the research, I discovered that Pennsylvania seems to be kinda lame about making Code available on the internet.
Agreed on the lameness. I remember a few years ago when I was attempting to research the vehicle code for fighting a traffic citation, I discovered that the code wasn't available on line. There was a magistrate district justice which had his own site containing much of the code, but it wasn't complete or official.

But, I'll gladly trade that lameness for our lack of rolling radar, and the ability for only state police to use radar.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts